Blade of Darkness [Severance] loading screens

Report bugs, errors, problems, etc.
Spiros78

Re: Blade of Darkness [Severance] loading screens

Post by Spiros78 »

Ok, went back to windows 7 because of incompatibilities and delays with windows 10, and by the chance i tested to see if freeze would occur with win 7 and same hardware, and unfortunately it does occur, so it's not OS dependant.

I'd like to ask if any positive progress is done on the case and also i was wondering, after resolving another game's issue which made me think, has Nglide any software dependencies which u haven't recommended to us? Like for example vc_redist that some add-ons, mods or games need to work. I believe not but it would be good to verify that. :?: :!:
Zeus
Site Admin

Post by Zeus »

I just finished testing savegames you sent me.

All 3 samples work perfectly on my machine (20/20 each), I didn't have even a single freeze.
However in a debugger I noticed one issue with SmartHeap library (Bin\shw32.dll). What's even more interesting the same problem occurs also with OGL renderer, the difference is, the bug is triggered only when quitting the game and not during loading screens.

I would like to hear from you whether you see any difference with modifed library I attached below.
Spiros78 wrote:has Nglide any software dependencies which u haven't recommended to us? Like for example vc_redist that some add-ons, mods or games need to work. I believe not but it would be good to verify that. :?: :!:
There are no such requirements.
Attachments
shw32a.zip
(58.07 KiB) Downloaded 573 times
Spiros78

Post by Spiros78 »

Well, once again, thanks for giving some time and thought on the issue, but despite i tested the dll u sent, freezing still occurs :roll: and i'm out of ammo.....er, i mean ideas ! ;)
zifox

Post by zifox »

I'm digging this thread out as I'm trying to play the game on a recent computer :
Win10 / Ryzen5 3600 / RX5700.

I have kind of the same loading issue, but it does not occur when loading a save: only when loading the map after finishing a level ( loading bar stops at 95%, off voice starts to tell the story), or when loading the next level. Loading bar goes to 100% and nothing happens. I did try once to leave the screen over night to see if it would crash or finally work, but nope, still frozen.

It's not only visual: when the freeze occurs when loading the mission selection map, I tried to launch the next mission, but i don't hear the selection noise when using left and right keys. When loading a level, i don't hear any music or noise for example, if i use the attack button.

CPU load is at 0% in both cases, i have to kill the process, and am unable to have another window displayed: when i hit CTRL+SHIFT+ESC, the loading screen is still there, but i can navigate (blindly) in the task manager and kill my process.

I'm using GOG version, have tried many things (changing resolution, no sound, etc...), it has no effect.

It seems really random, the only thing i found to be able to play a bit is save just before ending a level, and reload the save as many time as I need.