[Half-Life CD Version 1.0.0.5] OpenGL Problem.

Report bugs, errors, problems, etc.
ward201185

[Half-Life CD Version 1.0.0.5] OpenGL Problem.

Post by ward201185 »

hi, i have a problem with opengl not working properly with the first release of half life.
i get really bad fps drops when i turn on flashlight and move my mouse.
whenever an explosion happens, i get the same fps drops.
when i put r_dynamic 0, the problem goes away but i cant see flashlights, explosions, or any sort of light.
is there a fix for this???
i dont want to try d3d or software in half life.
i've tried using the vulkan backend, it works perfectly fine but theres massive input lag and fps is capped at 63.
it also crashes when i leave the game every time.
i also dont want to use the default opengl because im already experiencing problems with it but i dont have any lag issues (flickering decals and worse render detail).
can anyone help?

NVM, I FIXED IT.
every version below 2.10 works completely fine with half life 1.0.0.5 except that it can cause massive input lag and atleast vulkan doesnt crash when you leave the game.
2.10 is the specific version causing problems with half life 1.0.0.5 on both directx and vulkan.

NGlide 2.10
hl.exe set to windows xp sp3 compatibility mode and set to disable full screen optimizations.
Gamecollector

Re: [Half-Life CD Version 1.0.0.5] OpenGL Problem.

Post by Gamecollector »

3dfxvgl?
ASUS P4P800 SE, Pentium4 3.2E/2 GiB DDR400 (3-3-3-8), Sapphire Radeon HD3850 AGP, 2 Voodoo2 12 MB (SLI), Audigy 2 ZS.
Windows XP SP3 Pro Rus (w/o the POSReady hack), Catalyst 14.4, Voodoo2 W2k 1.02.00 drivers.
ward201185

Post by ward201185 »

whats that?
if i go and look at the drvmap folder at the root installation of half life, i only see 3dfxgl.dll which is dated from october 30th 1998 5:45 pm and looking at details, it says its a 3dfx minigl driver with version 1.45 and it apparently has an original filename of opengl32.dll.
its file size is 134 kb.

file description: 3Dfx Interactive, Inc. MiniGL DLL
File Version: 1.4.5.0
also, i dont see any 3dfxvgl.dll anywhere.
Gamecollector

Post by Gamecollector »

Have checked HL 1.0.0.6 (1.0.0.5 fails the CD check because of WinXp).
Configuration / Video / Video Modes / OpenGL / 3dfx mini driver. 640×480. NGlide 2.10. MiniGL 1.45.
Yes, there are FPS drops with dynamic lighting...

P.S. 3dfxvgl.dll is the Voodoo2 OpenGL ICD. Works as a OpenGL -> Glide wrapper. Many OGL games can use this driver if the file is detected (in a game directory or in the OS %system% directory). HL included (not all versions).
ASUS P4P800 SE, Pentium4 3.2E/2 GiB DDR400 (3-3-3-8), Sapphire Radeon HD3850 AGP, 2 Voodoo2 12 MB (SLI), Audigy 2 ZS.
Windows XP SP3 Pro Rus (w/o the POSReady hack), Catalyst 14.4, Voodoo2 W2k 1.02.00 drivers.
ward201185

Post by ward201185 »

i keep getting terrible input lag in older versions of nglide, i wonder if this can get fixed in the next version of nglide.

in both the new nglide and dgvoodoo, i get terrible mouse movement causing some movement to skip ahead but the same input lag appears in vulkan backend with nglide but no crashes or anything, it just crashes when i go back to main menu after i load the game.
ward201185

Post by ward201185 »

guys, i found a solution to all my problems, so if anyone needs it then i'll show you how i fixed it.

i have now fixed all my problems and you guys dont need to do anything.
i have fixed my input lag, game crashes, and other things.
i have found the solution out of nowhere fixing input lag by using markc's mouse accel fix, keeping vertical synchronization ON on an old version of nglide (1.05) which now makes the game playable for me and setting triple buffering to force off, frames per second to 1, and force-disabling vertical synchronization in nvidia control panel.
i also found a way to fix opengl by just using an older version of nglide which is 1.05 instead of the latest version (fixes flashlight lag, game crashes when loading to main menu and sometimes out of nowhere, and make game look much more playable and better than it looked like on normal opengl).

issues on normal opengl:
1. when you pause the game on windows 10, you get to a black screen for some reason and you have to alt tab twice to get to the menu (this is fixed by using nglide).

2. using normal opengl on the first cd version of half life, you'll run into problems like flickering decals, bad quality rendering, and other things, this is fixed by just using 3dfx minigl to start the game using nglide but anti aliasing will be turned off using nglide.

3. sometimes the game can get unstable and crashes for some reason using normal opengl.
ward201185

Post by ward201185 »

Gamecollector wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:12 am Have checked HL 1.0.0.6 (1.0.0.5 fails the CD check because of WinXp).
Configuration / Video / Video Modes / OpenGL / 3dfx mini driver. 640×480. NGlide 2.10. MiniGL 1.45.
Yes, there are FPS drops with dynamic lighting...

P.S. 3dfxvgl.dll is the Voodoo2 OpenGL ICD. Works as a OpenGL -> Glide wrapper. Many OGL games can use this driver if the file is detected (in a game directory or in the OS %system% directory). HL included (not all versions).
i have tried using the full opengl icd, it doesnt work properly.
it doesnt render everything properly.
literally every 3d object is just rendered in white with no color at all and text is filled with white rectangles instead of actual text and everything just looks like shit.