Install Independence War and to play

Report bugs, errors, problems, etc.
Knonxen

Install Independence War and to play

Post by Knonxen »

Hi!

I have a Glide game.
Independence War Defiance
After run installer.exe open to a different windows as - install independence War - View Readme files - Install Direct X - Install Direct X Media - Run Independence War - Software Renderer Voodoo1 and Voodoo2 - Play Intro Movie - Visit Particles System Website and cancel.
I clicked on install independence War but doesn't work to install and clicked Play Intro Movie but isn't open on Window Media player.
I have Notebook PC window7 Processor name AMD Phenom(tm) II N620 Dual-Core Processor (2800 MHz) with graphics ATI.
I was downloaded nGlide - 3Dfx Glide wrapper Zeus Software nGlide (Version) 0.94 which has compatibility
with Independence War but also I can't to run installation the game.

I take some information of the Readme-Notepad:
MACHINE REQUIREMENTS
The minimum specifications to run the game are as follows:
Software Mode:
Intel P90 or equivalent (P133 preferred) 16Mb RAM (32MB preferred) PCI Video card capable of 640*480 resolution in 256 colors within Windows 80 Megabytes of hard disk space and > 50 Megabytes space for Windows swap file DirectX5 compatible Sound card Quad speed CD-ROM drive Mouse Windows 95 or Windows98 DirectX5 or later installed
3Dfx Mode:
Intel Pentium 166 or equivalent (Pentium 200MMX Preferred) 32MB RAM (64MB preferred) 3Dfx Voodoo1 or Voodoo2 3D graphics card 80 Megabytes of hard disk space and > 50 Megabytes
space for Windows swap file DirectX5 compatible Sound card Quad speed CD-ROM drive Mouse Windows 95 or Windows98 DirectX5 or later installed

DIRECTX
Independence War requires DirectX 5.0 or later to be installed. We have included a copy on CD1. You can install it by clicking on the Install DirectX button on the game launcher, or by opening the DirectX folder on CD1 and clicking on DXSETUP.

WARNING:
Do NOT install the version of DirectX included with the game if you have Windows 98 installed. Windows
98 comes with its own version of DirectX 5 (Version 5.2) pre-installed.

3DFX GLIDE

The 3Dfx version of Independence War uses 3Dfx Glide drivers. Glide version 2.43 (Voodoo1) or 2.5 (Voodoo2)
must be installed for the game to run.

Glide 2.43 is supplied with the drivers for some 3Dfx Voodoo1 cards. If you have a Voodoo1 card and glide isn't
installed on your PC, we've included a copy in the GLIDE directory on CD1.

Glide 2.5 is integrated with Voodoo2 card drivers, and so should be automatically included when your Voodoo2
drivers are installed.
------------------------------
SCREEN MODES SUPPORTED
Independence War supports two different display resolutions, 640x480 and 800x600. 640x480 is the only mode available for the Software and 3Dfx Voodoo1 versions. 800x600 mode is specific to Voodoo2 cards, and won't work
in Software or Voodoo1 mode. 640x480 is also available for Voodoo2 cards, by selecting the Voodoo1 shortcut. We regret that Voodoo2 SLI mode and 1024x768 resolution is not supported.

I wish the idea to attach some screenshots but I not known how to do it yet.
Gamecollector

Re: Install Independence War and to play

Post by Gamecollector »

Windows 7 is 32-bit or 64-bit?

The game InstallShield is 3.x, 16-bit. So you can't install the game directly with 64-bit OS. Read this article and try described solution.
About the intro - video codec is IV32, Indeo video 3.2. Windows 7 don't have it by default. Install it separately.
ASUS P4P800 SE, Pentium4 3.2E/2 GiB DDR400 (3-3-3-8), Sapphire Radeon HD3850 AGP, 2 Voodoo2 12 MB (SLI), Audigy 2 ZS.
Windows XP SP3 Pro Rus (w/o the POSReady hack), Catalyst 14.4, Voodoo2 W2k 1.02.00 drivers.
Knonxen

Post by Knonxen »

Hi!

Thanks for help me about intro -video codec IV32, Indeo video 3.2 for windows7 its working very well.

Indepedence War defiance game installShield I have had to run in Windows7 64bit, I was look how to run it after reading the articles but I have not idea. On IBM computer you well can BIOs configure for 16bit -32bit - and 64bit but On Hp BIOs configuration its and other matter 32bit is 32bit and 64bit is 64bit.

I look for software to run 32bit on 64bit but I had not find any think.

Any idea, etc...
Gamecollector

Post by Gamecollector »

You don't understand.
The I-War installer is 16-bit application. There is no way to run 16-bit programs in 64-bit OSs. Hardware incompatibility, the CPU don't support 16-bit commands in the 64-bit mode.
All 32-bit applications are running w/o hardware incompatibility.
So - you can install the 32-bit OS (XpSp3 is the best choice) as the doubleboot.
You can use VirtualPC + 32-bit OS.
Or you can find the 32-bit version of the old 16-bit program. For the old 3.x and 5.x installshields such versions are existing. So - copy all setup packages on the hdd, replace the setup.exe to the 32-bit version, then run the install.
ASUS P4P800 SE, Pentium4 3.2E/2 GiB DDR400 (3-3-3-8), Sapphire Radeon HD3850 AGP, 2 Voodoo2 12 MB (SLI), Audigy 2 ZS.
Windows XP SP3 Pro Rus (w/o the POSReady hack), Catalyst 14.4, Voodoo2 W2k 1.02.00 drivers.
Gamecollector

Post by Gamecollector »

I'm checking the games from my list with nGlide 1.01 and have reached this game as the test target.
The game is working with nGlide w/o issues (except heavy fps drop with blur=on), but there are several bugs in game itself...
1) The sound is cutted in briefings. Looks like the video is a little too fast...
2) The ship roll is "jumped". The roll is constant and smooth, then - instant jump at 20-25 degrees.
3) The patched version of the game quit to desktop instantly after end of any mission. Or mission quit (shift+q).
4) The software renderer isn't working after the 3dfx or 1.24 patch. Ctd after the logos in game.exe offset 656d4 (68014 for 1.24).
Can anyone with coding skills check this issues and find the source?
Tnx.
ComstarWordOfBlake

Post by ComstarWordOfBlake »

I have IWDE original discs.
After installing nGlide...
I managed to install INDEPENDENCE WAR on Windows 10:
1. Copied disk 1 to a temp directory.
2. Downloaded IS3engine. It is a zip that contains a file called setup32.exe. I unzipped setup32.exe to temp directory
3. Run setup32.exe
It installs like a charm.

Now for compatibility...
4. I downloaded and run DxWnd. It is a hooker that tweaks programs for compatibility.
5. Options > Expert mode
6. Drag Install.exe file from disc 1 to the DxWnd window. Set a name for the game icon.
7. Compat tab > Fake version checked > Windows 98
8. Ok

Now run the game (UNSOLVED)
9. Double click on the Iwar icon. In the Iwar window I picked up Voodoo 2.
10. I-war asks for disc 2. I insert disc 2 in the optical drive, press Ok and nothing happens. It does not recognize the CD. I tried to fake CD in DxWnd by copying CD2 to a directory and fake CD label and it did not work either. Same issue if I install Defiance.

I will keep you posted if I find anything else. Probably I will find bugs. If you could try this and text DxWnd options to bypass bugs, that would be awesome. I am not very tech saavy.
------------------------
IS3engine and IS5engine: http://toastytech.com/files/setup.html
These tools allow you to run 16bit InstallShield installers. There are 2 versions. Version 3 and version 5.
If you right click an install shield setup.exe, oroperties, details, you will see the version of the installer.
You also will see that in the same directory of version 3 there is a file called _INST32I.EX_ and other files it needs.
If you see SETUP.LID it means it is version 5.
What do you do?
You copy the installer into a temporary directory, the copy either IS3engine or IS5engine setup file into that directory and then run it.
It is a 64bit installer that displaces the 16bit setup application.
-------------------------
In the past there was ACT Application Compatibility Tool. Nowadays some compatibility issues were fixed in Windows 10. But ACT was discontinued. DxWnd is now our only hope as gamer.
The only game I managed to make it work was Last Bronx.
Options / Expert mode enables more options when you try to configure the DxWnd shortcut to a game.
For example, Last Bronx runs too fast, to I had to go to "timing" tab and check "Time stretch - initial" and set the value as ":16" to slow it down.
In the "Compat" tab you may check "fake version" and select Win95 or Win98 or any other.
And so on...
I am still struggling with some games. It is too soon to tell if Independence War will work with DxWnd.
------------------------
Update: I converted CDs to ISO and I tried to mount IWAR as CD ROM D with WinCDemu and it did not work. That was the proposed solution in some forums. I tried to run with and without DxWnd and it did not work. So I am stalled. Any help would be appreciated.
Gamecollector

Post by Gamecollector »

You forgot to edit registry settings.
The default value for the "HKLM\Software\Particle Systems\I-War" node must be "<X>:\" where <X> is the cd/dvd-drive letter.
Dunno about 64-bit OSs and Win10Shit but the method is similar.
ComstarWordOfBlake

I installed Independence War in a virtual machine, then I exported the Particle systems entry.
What needs to happen is this:

1.Open notepad
2.Paste this text

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Particle Systems]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Particle Systems\I-War]
@="D:\\"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Particle Systems\Independence War]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Particle Systems\Independence War\1.0.0.1]

3.Save text file and close notepad
4.Rename the text file so instead of TXT extension it should have REG extension.
5.Double click the file you just created. This creates the registry entry to registed drive D: as your CD-ROM. If your drive letter is different, edit the text above to assign the proper drive letter.

This will add the registry entries you mentioned.

If you installed Independence War and Defiance, the text file should have the following text, instead of the text posted above.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Particle Systems]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Particle Systems\I-War]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Particle Systems\Independence War]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Particle Systems\Independence War\1.0.0.1]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Particle Systems\Independence War - Defiance]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Particle Systems\Independence War - Defiance\1.0.0.1]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Particle Systems\IWDE]
Last edited by ComstarWordOfBlake on Wed May 05, 2021 2:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
ComstarWordOfBlake

I added the registry entries and still the game asks for drive D and the game does not recognize the disk.
I even installed RADtools and nothing.
ComstarWordOfBlake

I have the hypothesis that this registry entry may work, but I cannot afford to test in this computer.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System]
"EnableLinkedConnections"=dword:00000001

What do you think?