Mad-Trax - a note and question

General discussion about nGlide.
IceMan

Mad-Trax - a note and question

Postby IceMan » Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:51 pm

I noticed Mad-Trax says to run in Win95 compatibility mode. I didn't do this and the race didn't load. However I then set it to Win95 and it worked, so I tried Win8 compatibility and that worked, so I turned compatibility off (which enables GSYNC on my monitor, and gamma effects from nGlide) and that now works.

I've had something like this before, where once I've applied compatibility settings once, they can be removed, and the game still works. Odd but nice!

I should also note that the installer doesn't work at all on Win8.1, moans about missing SETUP.lid file, so I installed it in Win95 and copied install folder over, as the Registry for Mad Trax doesn't contain anything, it seems.

My question though is the CD audio: it's not playing. If you pause the game and hit next/previous track, the CD will jump to the correct track, but it's volume is zero, I guess. Might there be any workarounds? Not your area so much, I realise! I tried _inmm238, but that didn't do anything.
My PC spec: Win8.1, i7-4970K (not overclocked) MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX 980, Creative Soundblaster ZX, 16GB RAM, Asus Z98-A motherboard, ROG Swift GSYNC monitor

Zeus
Site Admin

Re: Mad-Trax - a note and question

Postby Zeus » Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:17 am

I would try HiFi's CDAudio to OGG wrapper. Here you can find the sources.

Step 1 is to extract all CD Audio tracks and convert them to OGG files.

Next, create "Music" subfolder in the game dir and put all OGG files there. Rename them to TrackXX.ogg (first audio track should be called Track02.ogg, second - Track03.ogg and so on).

Last step is to put winmm.dll (compiled wrapper) + libogg-0.dll + libvorbis-0.dll + libvorbisfile-3.dll files in your game dir.

P.S. If you don't know how to compile the wrapper yourself try using compiled and modifed version from one of GOG.com releases like Pandemonium1/2, Carmageddon2 or TIE Fighter.

IceMan

Re: Mad-Trax - a note and question

Postby IceMan » Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:25 pm

That's cool, that there's other ways to access CD music. However I can't really compile code :D
My PC spec: Win8.1, i7-4970K (not overclocked) MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX 980, Creative Soundblaster ZX, 16GB RAM, Asus Z98-A motherboard, ROG Swift GSYNC monitor

Return to “General”