Game too fast without V-sync, too slow with V-Sync

General discussion about nGlide.
agathosdaimon

Game too fast without V-sync, too slow with V-Sync

Postby agathosdaimon » Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:30 am

Hi!

I am playing a few older F1 Racing games at the moment and one in particular - Ubisoft's F1 Racing Simulation. - Nglide is the best for it graphics wise, however it goes way too fast to be even playable if vsync is switched off - and by fast i mean that cars are moving at hyper speeds and as such uncontrollable, but if i put vsync on (and by vysnc i am referring to the nglide configurator option) then its playable but now everything moves like its slowed down slightly, and that applies to ones controls too so it all feels like you are moving through clay somewhat

what i need is just a setting that is between these two, is there any way this could be done?

i am running it on a windows 10 home 64bit laptop with 16gb ram, nvidia 860m i7-4710hq cpu @2.50ghz
i have nglide 2.00

is it possible to run an nglide game throuh dxwnd? i am wondering if that might enable more options then to tweak the game.

Zeus
Site Admin

Re: Game too fast without V-sync, too slow with V-Sync

Postby Zeus » Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:25 pm

If you think it feels too slow in 60fps you can try to run it in 70 or 85 Hz (assuming your monitor supports such refresh rates). I personally however would stick to 60Hz, that's how the game was designed and IMO how it should be played.

DxWnd should work with nGlide, at least with DX backend.

agathosdaimon

Postby agathosdaimon » Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:24 am

thanks though i have seen some online vids of the game and how it moves in those looks normal and right while when i play it (with vsync on) it really moves slowly down and also making the car steering more slower to respond

agathosdaimon

Postby agathosdaimon » Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:22 am

i can tell you also that the game allows for one to either install as D3D or install as 3dfx - the d3d option if you go with that actual installs the game and it runs at a normal playable speed, - controls are responsive and cars move at what is expected of F1s, however it has some weird graphical glitches that make it not so pleasant to look at.

the 3dfx version looks nicer, but everything is slowed down and controls are less responsive when driving.

i upped the refresh rate but that changes nothing sadly.

agathosdaimon

Postby agathosdaimon » Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:52 am

i did try to get it runnign through dxwnd also but it only would bring up a black screen and i didnt know which setting would fix this. what ihave now done, which has resolved the speed issue i think is that i have reinstalled the game as with its D3D option and i added the D3Dwine files to the game folder and am now running the game through dxwnd - this has fixed all texture issues and i have been able to properly slow it (it seems with wined3d it still ran very fast to be playable) using thetiming settings to slow cpu and lower the FPS, this now makes the game more playable (though it is still tough as this F1 game has no traction control option for amateurs like myself)

Zeus
Site Admin

Postby Zeus » Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:19 pm

I don't have issues you describe in Glide mode. Better check if the game works stable at 60fps with Fraps or MSI Afterburner. If it doesn't, you may want to try disabling "Fullscreen Optimizations" by right clicking on game exe and selecting Properties->Compatibility tab if you're on Win10 FCU or try switching to Vulkan.

agathosdaimon wrote:i upped the refresh rate but that changes nothing sadly.

If your monitor doesn't support 60Hz+ nGlide will switch back to 60Hz.

IceMan

Postby IceMan » Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:53 pm

Yeah I'm about to do some video of this one and noted the same. Watch the seconds counter in the corner and you'll see even if it's 60fps the seconds tick too slowly. I suspect the game might have run at 30fps perhaps. I think the similarly engined POD / POD Gold has similar issues.
My PC spec: Win10 64bit, i7-4970K (not overclocked) MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX 980, Creative Soundblaster ZX, 16GB RAM, Asus Z98-A motherboard, ROG Swift GSYNC monitor

IceMan

Postby IceMan » Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:07 pm

Just been playing, and the same "1 second is slower in game than real-life" bug also affects the dgVoodoo wrapper, so it's something game related I think. The Direct3D version might have also been similar (for me), but there's so many settings in the wrappers, nVidia control panel, etc, that it's not easy to nail down!

Game is running 60fps in-game (seems to be a hard-coded limit I think, as FRAPS reports 60fps even when running 144hz refresh rate, as long as V-sync is on.

The sequel, Monaco Grand Prix Racing Simulation 2, also seems to suffer in the same way, though that's reporting 72fps in FRAPS on my 144hz screen...
My PC spec: Win10 64bit, i7-4970K (not overclocked) MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX 980, Creative Soundblaster ZX, 16GB RAM, Asus Z98-A motherboard, ROG Swift GSYNC monitor

IceMan

Postby IceMan » Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:03 pm

I think I understand it better: the game needs to run about 80 maybe 85fps (e.g. 85hz) to be at the right speed. With vsync on it locks to 60fps which is slow motion. If you run the D3D version at my monitor's supported Hz rates, 120hz and 144hz are too fast, whilst 60hz is slow motion.

I guess it will need apps to slow it down to 85fps or so.

IceMan

Postby IceMan » Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:22 pm

I tried Nvidia Inspector, to lock the FPS to 80 or 85fps, and checked the in-game clock against a stopwatch, and it's nearly right at that setting.

More research is needed!

Return to “General”