Diablo2 occasionally random frame rate drop

Report bugs, errors, problems, etc.
CrushLightning

Diablo2 occasionally random frame rate drop

Post by CrushLightning »

Hello, everyone, I hope I could get some help here.
My PC hardware config is:
CPU: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1230 v3 @ 3.30Ghz
Graphic card: Gforce GTX 760
RAM: 32G
Diablo2 version: 1.14d
Nglide version: 2.0.0
Monitor resolution: 1920 * 1080
Monitor refresh rate: 60hz

My problem is when I'm playing diablo2, it occasionally has random frame rate drop, and the scene would be lagged a little.This will happen both in single-player mode and muti-player mode, no matter what in-game frame rate it is(single-player locked to 25,muti-player locked to 60 with vertical synchronization on).
I use the default setting of nglide, I turned off all the optimization provided by Nvidia as the administrator of Battle.net forum suggested, and I turned off the perspective and shadow blended in the game,I also optimize the windows by turning off some unnecessary services, and I shut down the firewall and anti-virus software, I launched the game alone(means without any other application running, so the system resources was abundant), but it seems that the "occasionally frame rate drop" or "occasionally lagging" will never go away.
I found this has nothing to do with nglide because even I launch the game without parameter "-3dfx", the "occasionally lagging" still happens while the scene becomes dark and the video options(gamma/contrast) will not work. Since you are professional, I thought you guys might know what's going on.
Any reply will be appreciated.
Zeus
Site Admin

Re: Diablo2 occasionally random frame rate drop

Post by Zeus »

Have you tried running the game without Windows 10 fullscreen optimizations? I had reports this new Fall Creators Update (1709) feature may be the source of framerate dropping.

[Right click on game.exe, select "Compatibility" tab and activate "Disable fullscreen optimizations" option. Click Apply].

Alternatively try switching "Video backend" to Vulkan in nGlide configurator. If the problem is related to fullscreen optimizations it should also go away in this mode.
CrushLightning

Post by CrushLightning »

Thank you for your reply.
Before I asked for help in the forum, I tried running the game with Windows 10 fullscreen optimizations disabled and switching "Video backend" to Vulkan in nGlide configurator, but I guess I did these two steps separately. This time I made them take effect simultaneously, and I ran the game as administrator, but unfortunately the "occasionally laggy" didn't go away completely.
As I feel, maybe there is a little improvement, the odds of "occasionally laggy" become smaller, and the longer I run the game, the less "occasionally laggy" happens, and there are several circumstances that the "occasionally laggy" is likely to happen:
1. the first time enter a map through the waypoint from town.
2. the first time go back to the town through waypoint or portal.
3. the first time switch map between acts through the waypoint.
I configured both power supply of my graphic card and pc as max performance, so they should work the same no matter the game was just started or played for a while, so I can not explain why my diablo2 can't run smoothly as it should be.
One more thing I feel strange is about my windows10, every time that I boot or reboot my pc, no matter how much time has passed, the first time I right click the application icon on my desktop, it will take serveral seconds for the menu to pop up, and the icons on the desktop will all become blank for a little while and the desktop will refresh, since then, right click any icon on the desktop, the menu will pop up instantly.I don't know if this phenomenon is relevant. :)
Zeus
Site Admin

Post by Zeus »

Any difference when running the game in your monitor native res i.e. setting nGlide to:
-Resolution: By desktop
-Refresh rate: By desktop

or with Vertical synchronization: Off?

Also, does it feel more smoothly when playing with a newly created character?

I'm asking this because the only time I felt the game being "laggy" was when I used a character with a very high Speed stat. That had nothing to do with the framerate, I had stable 25fps and it never dropped below.

Can you tell when did this problem started to happen?
CrushLightning

Post by CrushLightning »

:geek: report:
1. there is no difference when running the game in your monitor native res i.e. setting nGlide to:
-Resolution: By desktop
-Refresh rate: By desktop

2. and it is the clearest when setting nGlide to:-Resolution: By app(default), if set Screen Resolution: By desktop the image and font in game will become a little blurred.

3. with Vertical synchronization: Off? no difference, either. In fact, I found nglide can't controll Vertical synchronization without Vertical synchronization setting on nvidia panel.If I turn off Vertical synchronization, there will be side-effect, the frame rate will get more unstable such as getting over 25fps in single-player mode and it will lead to "laggy",too.

4. does it feel more smoothly when playing with a newly created character? No.
I also thought about this before, but I did some test with low level character which doesn't have accelerating skills or items, but it's still get "laggy".

5. when I enter a map and encounter the first group of monsters, there must be a frame rate drop.

6. I don't know when this started to happen.
Zeus
Site Admin

Post by Zeus »

No idea then what it might be...

I suggest testing your exact copy of the game along with the savegames on some different PCs (different hardware and/or Windows version). Maybe you'll find a clue.
CrushLightning

Post by CrushLightning »

As you reminded, I uninstalled my diablo2 and reinstalled it, and reinstalled the patch 1.14d
then, I found all the laggy and choppy were gone! I was so excited!
But but but but but but but but but after I reboot my PC, the laggy and choppy came back! :oops:

when I uninstalled the game and reinstalled the 1.14d patch, I got the same error info and prepatch.log
It's some warnings below. Is there a clue in it ?

Blizzard PrePatch v2.70 compiled on Sep 9 2003
This program patches Diablo II Expansion

Log created at 11:34 am on 03/11/2018

WARNING: unable to delete file 'E:\Blizzard\Diablo II\Bnclient.dll'
System can not find the file

WARNING: unable to delete file 'E:\Blizzard\Diablo II\D2Client.dll'

WARNING: unable to delete file 'E:\Blizzard\Diablo II\D2CMPd.dll'

WARNING: unable to delete file 'E:\Blizzard\Diablo II\D2Common.dll'

WARNING: unable to delete file 'E:\Blizzard\Diablo II\D2DDraw.dll'

WARNING: unable to delete file 'E:\Blizzard\Diablo II\D2Direct3D.dll'

WARNING: unable to delete file 'E:\Blizzard\Diablo II\D2Game.dll'

WARNING: unable to delete file 'E:\Blizzard\Diablo II\D2Gdi.dll'

WARNING: unable to delete file 'E:\Blizzard\Diablo II\D2Gfx.dll'

WARNING: unable to delete file 'E:\Blizzard\Diablo II\D2Glide.dll'

WARNING: unable to delete file 'E:\Blizzard\Diablo II\D2Lang.dll'

WARNING: unable to delete file 'E:\Blizzard\Diablo II\D2Launch.dll'

WARNING: unable to delete file 'E:\Blizzard\Diablo II\D2MCPClient.dll'

WARNING: unable to delete file 'E:\Blizzard\Diablo II\D2Multi.dll'

WARNING: unable to delete file 'E:\Blizzard\Diablo II\D2Net.dll'

WARNING: unable to delete file 'E:\Blizzard\Diablo II\D2Sound.dll'

WARNING: unable to delete file 'E:\Blizzard\Diablo II\D2Win.dll'

WARNING: unable to delete file 'E:\Blizzard\Diablo II\Fog.dll'

WARNING: unable to delete file 'E:\Blizzard\Diablo II\Storm.dll'

RESULT: Prepatch succeeded with warnings noted above
stuffedtiger

Post by stuffedtiger »

is your E drive an HDD? if you have an SSD try loading D2 on that drive and see if the lag goes away. maybe loading the textures or sprites is lagging the game.
CrushLightning

Post by CrushLightning »

I switched to svenswrapper
http://www.svenswrapper.de/english/
The random frame rate drop did not go away completely, but I felt there is a improvement, and speed of start game and switch from game to desktop was improved.
What are the differences between svenswrapper and nglide?