(Unreal) No mipmapping?

General discussion about nGlide.
vech32

(Unreal) No mipmapping?

Postby vech32 » Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:48 pm

I tried to play Unreal Gold from GOG which is shipped with nGlide 1.02 and there is no mipmapping at all, texture shimmering is everywhere just like in software mode. Updating nGlide to the most recent version doesn't change this. Is it normal? And if yes then why so basic rendering things are missing?

Zeus
Site Admin

Re: (Unreal) No mipmapping?

Postby Zeus » Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:13 am

MM is currently enabled only if you force anisotropic filtering in a GPU control panel.

I did it this way for quality reasons (most games look like crap with it; Unreal is an exception).

I'm aware the current solution isn't perfect, you can expect some improvements it in the future.

vech32

Postby vech32 » Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:08 pm

It is strange to hear that a technology invented to improve the rendering and used for years now makes games look worse than without using it.

By the way, forcing AF in driver control panel turns AF on but still you can see some shimmering on very distant textures, house walls for example, so I think there is no mipmapping anyway and this is not how the game should look right.

I hope you will add at least a configuration option for enabling MM in the future.

Gamecollector

Postby Gamecollector » Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:42 pm

vech32 wrote:It is strange to hear that a technology invented to improve the rendering and used for years now makes games look worse than without using it.

Two main examples:
Sports Cars GT.
Tomb Raider/Tomb Raider Unfinished Business.

And you're not right. The main purpose for mipmapping was rendering speed increasing. More distance = smaller textures size.
Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400 (3-3-3-8),
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
2 Voodoo2 12 MB (SLI), Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).

vech32

Postby vech32 » Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:02 pm

Gamecollector wrote:Two main examples:
Sports Cars GT.
Tomb Raider/Tomb Raider Unfinished Business.

I can't imagine something looks better with terrible texture noise all over your screen when you do any move.

Gamecollector wrote:And you're not right. The main purpose for mipmapping was rendering speed increasing. More distance = smaller textures size.

Why then there is no MM in software rendered games if adding it just significantly improves speed?

Zeus
Site Admin

Postby Zeus » Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:01 pm

vech32 wrote:By the way, forcing AF in driver control panel turns AF on but still you can see some shimmering on very distant textures, house walls for example, so I think there is no mipmapping anyway and this is not how the game should look right.

That shouldn't be the case. Did you rename glide2x.dll in \System subfolder after installing 1.05? What's your graphics card and operating system?

vech32 wrote:I can't imagine something looks better with terrible texture noise all over your screen when you do any move.

Here are the images for you:

mip.jpg
mip.jpg (91.84 KiB) Viewed 3944 times

nomip.jpg
nomip.jpg (86.36 KiB) Viewed 3944 times

Pay attention to lines, decals and platform. The shimmering in this game isn't as noticeable as in Unreal.

vech32 wrote:I hope you will add at least a configuration option for enabling MM in the future.

Yes, if forcing AF internally for mip-mapped games will introduce glitches, I'll probably add this option.

vech32

Postby vech32 » Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:02 pm

Zeus wrote:That shouldn't be the case. Did you rename glide2x.dll in \System subfolder after installing 1.05? What's your graphics card and operating system?

With nGlide 1.05, AF forcing from control panel doesn't work at all, just like if it wasn't turned on. I have Nvidia GT630 with latest driver and Windows 10.

Zeus wrote:Here are the images for you:

mip.jpg
nomip.jpg

Pay attention to lines, decals and platform. The shimmering in this game isn't as noticeable as in Unreal.

I'd prefer the mipmapped one. Seriously, what's wrong with it? Yes, it adds some additional blur but it removes any noise in motion. This is how it always looked on 3dfx hardware. I don't know why now you decided that aliased lines and noisy textures are better.

Zeus
Site Admin

Postby Zeus » Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:36 pm

vech32 wrote:With nGlide 1.05, AF forcing from control panel doesn't work at all, just like if it wasn't turned on. I have Nvidia GT630 with latest driver and Windows 10.

Ok, one more question. Did you set AFx16 in global or program settings tab?

vech32

Postby vech32 » Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:52 pm

Zeus wrote:Ok, one more question. Did you set AFx16 in global or program settings tab?

In program settings for unreal.exe. I don't think it is good idea to use global tweaking affecting all programs just to configure one game.

Zeus
Site Admin

Postby Zeus » Thu Jun 16, 2016 4:16 pm

Please test the global group as well.

Return to “General”