CPU Requirements

General discussion about nGlide.
Asbrandt

CPU Requirements

Postby Asbrandt » Fri Mar 11, 2016 12:21 am

I was unable to find an answer to this via the search function, so apologies if this is a repeat question.

The download page states a recommendation of a 2.0GHz CPU, but it provides no further details past this.
I'd like to know if any of the following are also assumed as part of that estimate;
* SSE2/3 instructions
* Dual Channel Memory
* Multiple CPU Cores
* Something Else?

Curious to know if an old AthlonXP (overclockable to about 2.4GHz) would be sufficient for nGlide, since this is something I already happen to have around I could build a old machine with, or if that's just too old with its lack of SSE2/3, single-channel memory and being single-core.

EDIT: Loosely related, since its a performance question, does nGlide benefit from hardware paletted textures like older wrappers do?

Zeus
Site Admin

Re: CPU Requirements

Postby Zeus » Fri Mar 11, 2016 3:29 pm

Asbrandt wrote:Curious to know if an old AthlonXP (overclockable to about 2.4GHz) would be sufficient for nGlide

I started developing this wrapper on Athlon XP, so yes, it's compatible. The keyword here is "most games" and while most will work with good performance sooner or later you will find something more demanding (DOS Glide games (emulated through DOSBox) for example).

Asbrandt wrote:EDIT: Loosely related, since its a performance question, does nGlide benefit from hardware paletted textures like older wrappers do?

DX9 devices no longer support this feature.

Asbrandt

Postby Asbrandt » Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:44 pm

Zeus wrote:
Asbrandt wrote:Curious to know if an old AthlonXP (overclockable to about 2.4GHz) would be sufficient for nGlide

I started developing this wrapper on Athlon XP, so yes, it's compatible. The keyword here is "most games" and while most will work with good performance sooner or later you will find something more demanding (DOS Glide games (emulated through DOSBox) for example).

Thanks, I suppose I can only find out where the limit is when I dig up some parts to get this thing up and running.
DOS-Glide is a bridge I'll cross when I get there, mainly focused on Windows for now.

Any suggestions for a "benchmark" Windows-native game that really taxes the CPU and makes for a good test?

Zeus wrote:
Asbrandt wrote:EDIT: Loosely related, since its a performance question, does nGlide benefit from hardware paletted textures like older wrappers do?

DX9 devices no longer support this feature.

The GeForce FX/5000 series was the one point of overlap between "old" GPU features like that and modern DX9, so I was curious.

Zeus
Site Admin

Postby Zeus » Sat Mar 12, 2016 12:59 am

Asbrandt wrote:Any suggestions for a "benchmark" Windows-native game that really taxes the CPU and makes for a good test?

Start with Need for Speed 2 SE, Ultima 9 and Hitman. All these 3 should work at 60fps.

You can use Fraps to measure the framerate.

Asbrandt

Postby Asbrandt » Fri Mar 18, 2016 2:57 am

Well, I got it running and I appear to be stuck in the 60s, I like to use a CRT for old games when possible (makes dealing with resolutions much simpler) and mine is a low-persistence model that does not like being below 70.

I think a GeForce 5200 Ultra may be a touch short on GPU power or DX9.0c being added by drivers when the series was originally DX9.0a might be causing some kind of issue.
EDIT: Since reducing CPU speed doesn't seem to impact the framerates at all.

If this is indeed the problem I'll go see if I can find something more powerful, but options can be a bit limited with AGP.

Return to “General”