nGlide 1.05 EdgeAA

General discussion about nGlide.
Malcolm

nGlide 1.05 EdgeAA

Post by Malcolm »

Hey Zeus thanks for new nglide!

Is it possible to use Edge AA in Glide games with nGlide 1.05 with some shortcut key 'cause there's no option in nGlide Configurator??

thanks!
Zeus
Site Admin

Re: nGlide 1.05 EdgeAA

Post by Zeus »

One user already asked me about it:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=872#p5087
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

I can show you a proof that EdgeAA can work in Glide games that are not optimized for. If you're interested, I have some stuff from may old 3dfx days that can maybe help you to implement EdgeAA in nGlide? It would take me some time to find all of this stuff about EdgeAA...
rkk

Post by rkk »

Malcolm wrote:I can show you a proof that EdgeAA can work in Glide games that are not optimized for. If you're interested, I have some stuff from may old 3dfx days that can maybe help you to implement EdgeAA in nGlide? It would take me some time to find all of this stuff about EdgeAA...
3DFX Glide 2 and 3 has natively support for AA (And this is being emulated now in the 1.05 version of nGlide).

If you want to have complete AA while using nGlide you can use Inject SMAA or just enable Anti Aliasing in you GPU settings.

I'm doing and experiment changing all non anti-aliased functions in the game Ultim@te Race Pro with their Anti Aliased counterparts and it partially works. This would theoretically work even on an old 3DFX card, but I wonder how much speed penalty it would have. Anyway, from where I got with the experiment, AA works just partially and generates some artifacts.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

I'm long time 3dfx fan and I was amazed when I first saw 3dfx EdgeAA on my Voodoo3 edges looked better than ssaa :)
I know I can use conventional AA from new cards, but ya know It would be just cool having it 3dfx way...

Great, keep on with that experiment, can you show some ss?
Zeus
Site Admin

Post by Zeus »

Malcolm wrote:I can show you a proof that EdgeAA can work in Glide games that are not optimized for. If you're interested, I have some stuff from may old 3dfx days that can maybe help you to implement EdgeAA in nGlide? It would take me some time to find all of this stuff about EdgeAA...
Enabling it in every game wasn't my intention but original implementation.
rkk

Post by rkk »

Malcolm wrote:I'm long time 3dfx fan and I was amazed when I first saw 3dfx EdgeAA on my Voodoo3 edges looked better than ssaa :)
I know I can use conventional AA from new cards, but ya know It would be just cool having it 3dfx way...

Great, keep on with that experiment, can you show some ss?
Yeah, here is the post with screenshots:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=882

Though it has some graphical glitches, not sure if it's because of nGlide, some Glide technical limitation or I just forgot to change some function. Would be awesome if zeus could give some input on that topic as he has more experience with Glide.

I'm still learning Glide, though it's harder than expected because I somehow cannot get the glide.lib working with Visual Studio 2015 to start tinkering with it (Headers works but I get Linking errors while compiling).
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

I will try to get this game to try edgeaa, ss are rally small :) but I see aa. I remember back in a day I had some tests for 3dfx edgeaa and it was really great.

Are you from x3dfx forum? I am, maybe I could get some guys to help you with Glide if they still remember it :mrgreen: