[FEATURE-REQ] Include SMAA directly in nGlide (No external injection that crash old games)

New ideas and suggestions.
rkk

[FEATURE-REQ] Include SMAA directly in nGlide (No external injection that crash old games)

Postby rkk » Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:07 pm

Hi, I would like to to ask if it would be possible (or at least considered) to have SMAA anti aliasing included directly in nGlide.

I'm aware that there are alternative ways to make this work like using InjectSMAA, but that's actually why I'm asking to include the feature directly in nGlide.

InjectSMAA (and similar) use an modified d3d9.dll file which works with nGlide, but some games switch between DirectX (Menus) and Glide (Main Game). This causes some games to crash when InjectSMAA is enabled and you swtich from Glide (DirectX in nGlide) to DirectX Menu. "Ultim@te Race Pro" is a good example where it happens. Games which render menu and ingame in Glide doesn't seem to be affected.

It would be a handy feature in nGlide, as SMAA on it's maximum setting seems to be running at 60 FPS even on my integrated Intel HD GPU no matter what nGlide compatible game you throw at it. And as the old Glide games have so many low res polygons, it just looks awesomely smooth together.

Here is the link for the SMAA source (The license should permit to have SMAA included in nGlide as far as I understood):
https://github.com/iryoku/smaa

Would it be possible to have SMAA included directly in nGlide (As an option in the nGlide menu)? Or at least could this be even considered to be included? How difficult would it be to implement this in nGlide?

Greetings.

Zeus
Site Admin

Re: [FEATURE-REQ] Include SMAA directly in nGlide (No external injection that crash old games)

Postby Zeus » Sat Jan 30, 2016 2:47 am

Why using injectors for AA when you can simply enable FSAA in your graphics card panel? Better AA quality and no crashes.

Scenes in Glide games do not consist billion of triangles, even your Intel should do just fine.

P.S. If you insists on SMAA there's also ReShade.

rkk

Re: [FEATURE-REQ] Include SMAA directly in nGlide (No external injection that crash old games)

Postby rkk » Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:17 pm

Thanks Zeus, ReShade seems to not be crashing the game.

SMAA seems jut better than AA on Intel HD GPUs because you cannot enable AA on specific apps or games.

One more question.. in the nGlide v 1.05 it says this in the Changelog:
-added support for edge anti-aliasing

Is it related to this? How to enable edge anti-aliasing in the new build?

Greetings and thanks for the awesome build.

Zeus
Site Admin

Postby Zeus » Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:15 pm

rkk wrote:How to enable edge anti-aliasing in the new build?

You can't (well, at least not unless you patch game executable :lol:). It's a native 3dfx feature and it's controlled by games.

Some games like F-22: Total Air War or Tomb Raider 1 provide an option for that, but some, like Actua Soccer 2 don't.

Return to “Suggestions”