Need For Speed III Modern Patch (HD + Widescreen + Portable)

General discussion about nGlide.
Sammy75

Re: Need For Speed III Modern Patch (HD + Widescreen + Portable)

Post by Sammy75 »

Oh i see, i can set up 4 different camera views.
Works now.

Great Patch!
VEG

Post by VEG »

New build with experimental 32bpp support for the 3dfx Voodoo 5: http://veg.by/files/nfs3/outbin.7z
Please test it if you have any real 3dfx Voodoo and describe results here (use voodoo thrash driver).
Last edited by VEG on Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zeus
Site Admin

Post by Zeus »

dst_stride for grLfbReadRegion() must be >= src_width*4 for 32-bit.
VEG

Post by VEG »

Zeus wrote:dst_stride for grLfbReadRegion() must be >= src_width*4 for 32-bit.
My bad. Thanks for this information. I've updated outbin.7z.

Fixes:
— grLfbReadRegion: dst_stride = width * (bpp==32 ? 4 : 2).
— grLfbWriteRegion: src_stride = width * (bpp==32 ? 4 : 2) and src_format = (bpp==32 ? 4 : 0).
— grBufferClear: depth = (bpp==32 ? 0x00FFFFFF : 0x0000FFFF) as dege said here, and it seems he is right, I've seen according code in the source code of the glide3x source.

Please tell me if something else needs some fixes :)
Zeus
Site Admin

Post by Zeus »

Screenshots are now dumped properly in 32-bit. :)
VEG

Post by VEG »

Nice to hear it :)

Currently, I'm waiting for a response from a Voodoo 5 user. He needs to reinstall Windows 98 on his old computer, so he can't test it just now. I hope it will work as intended.
VEG

Post by VEG »

The current beta build is updated.

Menu:
- Options button is placed near Exit button on the first menu screen (Game Setup).
- “Connect Players”, “Connect IPX” and “View Car Interior” menu screens also have standard set of buttons (Exit and Options).
- This set of buttons don't disappear in the Options when they are opened directy from the race results screen.
- This set of buttons is smart: when user opens Options from the first screen without choosing game mode, the Race button are hidden.
- Drop down list of cars displays the class of the current car not only for the 1st player, but also for the 2nd player.
- Increased quantity of visible elements in some long drop down lists (resolution list, car lists).
- Fixed unaligned paddings of the all drop down lists.
- “Reset To Defaults” button in the Controllers menu was shifted one position down.
- “Predefined Keys” and “View Car Interior” are aligned vertically.
- NoMovie ini setting also disables demo movies on menu idle.
- Demo movies aren't starting when the game is minimized in the menu mode (useful for the nGlide driver).
- If demo video files are removed, the game doesn't try to play them.

Thrash drivers:
- Refactoring of the Voodoo thrash driver. 32bpp support for 3dfx Voodoo 5 was added.
- Added 16bpp resolutions and sorting of the resolutions list in the DX6 thrash driver.
- Refactoring of the thrash driver initialization code.
- No more hardcoded environment variables for the 3dfx Voodoo.
- Instead of this the game sets environment variables from the [ENV] section of the current thrash.ini file.
- The nGlide uses general voodoo2a.dll now, its settings can be changed using the [ENV] section of the thrash.ini.
- Added separate Glide3x thrash driver for using on the real 3dfx Voodoo hardware.
- The DX5 driver was removed because the DX6 fully replaces it. To disable fog support in the DX6, as it was in the DX5, just set FogSupport=0 in the drivers/dx6/thrash.ini.
- VideoDriver ini setting was renamed to ThrashDriver (original name). Filenames of all thrash drivers also were renamed using original format.

Screenshoter:
- Uses Print Screen key instead of inconvenient combination Alt+P.
- Saves screenshots to the screenshots subdirectory instead of the Desktop directory.
- Does one screenshot per second when Print Screen is held for long time instead of hundreds of screnshots without delays.
- Remembers last screenshot number. If you would like to reset this counter, just delete screenshots directory (it will be created automatically).
- Makes shutter sound while screenshoting.
- Ability of making screenshots of the gameplay loading screen.
- Screenshoting doesn't stop intro movie.

Other:
- It is possible to show rear view mirror when viewing replays (using F7).
- Autimatic creation of empty directories for saving game data.
- Working directory is set automatically to the directory of the exe file.
VEG

Post by VEG »

The current beta build is updated. 400 additional lines of the assembly code and new making screenshot code :)

- Saves screenshots in the BMP format (instead of rare TGA).
- Better quality of 16bpp screenshots (original code converts RGB565 to RGB555 because of limitation of the TGA).
- Smaller files for 32bpp screenshots because BMP allows to drop alpha channel, so the result is stored as 24bpp.
- Saving a screenshot file was moved to a separate thread, so the game have to freeze for less time while the screenshot is taking.

The next planned feature: saving screenshots as PNG or JPG using GDI+.
Silver83

Post by Silver83 »

First I wanted to thank you for this AMAZING patch! NfS III was my first game for my second PC back in 1998 (P2 400Mhz) so THANK YOU for letting me experience this game once more.

Second: As of now the language selection changes the text but not the voice. Anything you coudl do about it?
Core i5 6600K, GeForce GTX 780, 16GB DDR4-3000, Samsung 850 Pro Series 512GB SSD, Win 10 Pro 64bit
VEG

Post by VEG »

Silver83 wrote:Second: As of now the language selection changes the text but not the voice. Anything you coudl do about it?
It just means that you've not installed audio files for your language. Check .\gamedata\audio\speech\ directory. There is have to be a directory with the name of your language.