Custom Graphic Enhancements?

New ideas and suggestions.
Zeus
Site Admin

Re: Custom Graphic Enhancements?

Post by Zeus »

What do you mean you can't access depth buffer? Did you visualize it and it's completely black or something?

Is DOF effect applied after dropping ReShade 1.0.0 stock package into Bin directory and changing
#define USE_DEPTHOFFIELD 1 in ReShade\McFx.cfg?
piltrafus

Post by piltrafus »

Yes, you can visualize it and it's completely black. After dropping the reshade files into the game folder edit the BasicFX.cfg file and change "#define USE_DisplayDepth" to 1. The while in game pres F12 to turn depth visualization on and off.

I tested on Blade of Darkness at 1920x1440. I don't have other nglide games to test with.

P.S. The method you proposed to test the depth buffer access from reshade can be confusing. If you just edit "#define USE_DEPTHOFFIELD 1" in ReShade\McFx.cfg the default DOF effect in use is the option 4 or "MATSO". This shader will apply an even DOF effect to the full screen if it can't find a depth buffer. SO the full image gets defocused in equal measure but it may look like the effect is working when is actually not.
Zeus
Site Admin

Post by Zeus »

Did you enable logarithmic depth buffer in common.cfg?
piltrafus

Post by piltrafus »

I did not use the logarithmic depth before. However, I just tried and the results are the same. Instead of a depth map I'm getting a flat gray screen no matter what settings I'm using.
Zeus
Site Admin

Post by Zeus »

Then I have no idea what it might be.

This is what I'm getting with clean ReShade 1.0.0 package. Only two settings have been changed:
RFX_LogDepth 1 in Common.cfg and USE_DisplayDepth 1 in BasicFX.cfg.

nGlide 1.04 1920x1440, default settings in display driver panel.

First animation after selecting Sargon and skipping Tutorial:
BladeReShadeDepth.jpg
BladeReShadeDepth.jpg (58.49 KiB) Viewed 15501 times
So as you see, for me everything works properly.
piltrafus

Post by piltrafus »

Thanks for your testing. I got it working. Is easier to fix something when you are certain that it should be working.
First I didn't know that Logarithmic depth should be set to 1 on reshade for it to properly interpret the z buffer from nglide. That's too bad as I was using a custom set of shaders based on linear depth. I'll have to port the logarithmic depth code from the framework for them to work. My problem I guess.
My second mistake was to force/enable AA in the nvidia drivers for this particular game. It's a known issue that it prevents reshade from gabbing the z buffer info. My bad.

I hope my mistakes can serve others. Thanks again for looking into it.
Zeus
Site Admin

Post by Zeus »

No problem. I'm glad the issue has been resolved.
rkk

Post by rkk »

Hi, are there games that are not using depth buffer? Or at least not for 3D?

I'm trying to make ReShade work with Ultim@te Race Pro and it seems that it just contains the 2D GUI elements in it.
I've attached a screenshot of the depth buffer I've got:
Ultim@te Race Pro 2016-02-04 18-41-36.png
Ultim@te Race Pro 2016-02-04 18-41-36.png (81.19 KiB) Viewed 15062 times
Of course I've set in Common.cfg:
#define RFX_LogDepth 1

Playing with RFX_Depth_z_near and RFX_Depth_z_far doesn't seem to change anything.

Any ideas? Is it possible that the game is just not generating a depth-buffer?

Greetings
Zeus
Site Admin

Post by Zeus »

rkk wrote: Playing with RFX_Depth_z_near and RFX_Depth_z_far doesn't seem to change anything.
They have been removed in 1.1.0 (and earlier used only for non-log depth). Both depth formulas are now hardcoded in reshade.fx.
Ray Koopa

Post by Ray Koopa »

Hey there, I also just tried to play around with the latest ReShade and Pod wrapped through nGlide. You can now configure those hard-coded variables in the config window and test them with reloading ReShade.

I still can't find a setting which makes sense for Pod.
While the original depth buffer made everything to be at infinite distance and only the UI at nearest distance, I limited the far plane to 0.1-2, and now I start to see the depth of the race track. However, shortly behind the car, everything quickly fades into a gray layer without any visible depth information anymore:

I also tried the logarithmic depth buffer (since I think Pod uses a W-Buffer IIRC?), but everything behind my car still didn't make any sense.

Does anyone have a working config? Would love to see some DoF in this game!