Screenshots too dark in Tomb Raider

Report bugs, errors, problems, etc.
Famicom

Screenshots too dark in Tomb Raider

Post by Famicom »

Hi guys. I'll cut to the chase:

Gameplay gamma is OK, most likely as it's supposed to be on a Voodoo card, but no matter what gamma I choose from nGlide control panel, no matter what screenshots capture program I use (fraps, Dxtory), every single screenshot taken from this game is in fact quite darker than the real game when playing it -well, in fact screenshots look exactly the same regardless of nGlide's gamma settings. I've tried on four different computers with different OS (Windos 7, 8.1, 10) and vgas (Nvidia, ATI/AMD, Intel HD4000), and this issue is a constant. Tried on nGlide 1.03 and 1.04.

Isn't there a way to capture screenshots or even videos displaying exactly what you see when you play the game?

This is what I get:

Thanks for your help.
Zeus
Site Admin

Re: Screenshots too dark in Tomb Raider

Post by Zeus »

Gamma correction is ignored only if you take your screenshots manually (i.e. by pressing PrtScr key and pasting the screenshot into image editor). This shouldn't be the case when using specialized capture software like Fraps.

Fraps has a special folder where it stores screenshot files (they are created automatically every time you press screen capture hotkey (you don't need to paste them into editor)). If these dark screenshots come from this folder, I'm suggesting checking version of the program / updating.
Famicom

Post by Famicom »

Thanks for answering.
I've just tried again, and this is what I got:

With Dxtory 2.0.128, gamma looks too low:

With Fraps 3.5.99 build 15618 gamma looks ok:

I don't know why, but a few days ago screenshots made with Fraps were as dark as those made with Dxtory. This is weird.
Zeus
Site Admin

Post by Zeus »

Good. Problem solved.
Famicom

Post by Famicom »

Thanks.
Anyway, is it supposed to work only with Fraps? Shouldn't it work with any other screencapture/recording utility?
Zeus
Site Admin

Post by Zeus »

It should. If you care about Dxtory let the authors know they have a bug in their program.
Famicom

Post by Famicom »

I've been able to test some other recording utilities, including latest version of Shadowplay. All of them, and I mean ALL of them capture and record the game too dark. All except Fraps, an app which hasn't been updated since 2013 :roll:

I don't think every single recording app out there has a bug :oops: :?:
Zeus
Site Admin

Post by Zeus »

Five wrongs don't make a right.

Moreover, if a program doesn't capture screen properly from nGlide, it doesn't capture screen properly from thousands of other DX9/DX10/DX11 games that utilize gamma correction too.