List of bugs\differences in Gunmetal.

Report bugs, errors, problems, etc.
KynikossDragonn

List of bugs\differences in Gunmetal.

Post by KynikossDragonn » Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:22 pm

Software 256 colour:
  • Texture fullbrights work.
    (not sure if this is palette based?)
  • Mirrors do not exhibit rampant HOM effects even at extreme angles.
  • Fog works
  • Light beams are smooth
  • Headlight is a dynamic light centred around the player's RPV.
  • Smooth consistent framerate.
  • Fog does not cause HOM artifacting in the sky.
  • Texturing on models is seamless for the most part.
  • Damage static is whiteish gray.
nGlide:
  • Texture fullbrights do NOT work.
    (This makes it impossible to see light switches in the dark like in Nataka Tower as well as certain enemies)
  • Mirrors can exhibit HOM effects at extreme angles and along other mirrors or mirrors curving around surfaces.
  • Fog does NOT work
    (Is always displayed as bright white no matter the environment, this renders Mission 7 nearly impossible to play)
  • Light beams are polygonal and harsh looking.
  • Headlight is NOT a dynamic light but a amplification of all the lightmaps in the area.
  • Framerate fluctuates in certain areas, especially if mirrors or fog is involved.
  • Fog causes HOM in the sky.
  • On some models, most notably the RPV's, there are seams visible on various parts of the texturing.
  • Damage static is pinkish purple
While the fog and static errors are nGlide issues, I'm baffled by the lack of dynamic lighting and why the fullbrights don't function in Glide mode. Maybe the fullbrights are dependent on palette information and thus only work in 256 colour software mode?

As for the seams that you can notice on certain texturing situations, is this a problem with non power of two textures?

KynikossDragonn

Re: List of bugs\differences in Gunmetal.

Post by KynikossDragonn » Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:01 am

Okay I verified on real hardware, the fog and damage static is the only thing that works...

Z-Fighting, non functional fullbrights, harsh light cones, and no dynamic lighting is problems with the actual glide renderer and NOT nGlide.
This is pretty disappointing... you'd figure the dev's would of finalized their Glide renderer before shipping the game, even the latest (or rather ONLY) patch doesn't change this at all. I'm going to have to guess the full brights need a VGA palette to work properly, but all the textures in the game share the same palette, either I'm really stupid here or I'm not understanding why the fullbrights don't function as they should...

So the only nGlide glitch in this game is indeed just the distance fog effect applied in underwater and in some levels.

Gamecollector

Post by Gamecollector » Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:04 am

The purple damage static is nGlide glitch too. It is write on a real Voodoo2 (tested with gunmetal demo).
Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 GB DDR400 (3-3-3-8),
Radeon HD3850 AGP (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
2 Voodoo2 12 MB (SLI), Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).

KynikossDragonn

Post by KynikossDragonn » Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:52 pm

Oops.. yeah I meant to imply the pinkish\purpleish static is a nGlide bug... Though the major bug is defiantly the fog because it makes any area that uses it VERY irritating if not impossible to play properly.

I don't think there's a way to fix the z-fighting issues. It would involve major hacks as these z-fighting problems happen on the real thing... Software mode has no problems oddly enough but it DOES exhibit really weird effects with mirrors in rare situations.

Zeus
Site Admin

Post by Zeus » Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:12 pm

Good news. :)

All 4 nGlide bugs have been fixed (static, fog, opaque decals and blinking horizon).

KynikossDragonn

Post by KynikossDragonn » Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:06 am

Awesome! I'm curious what was wrong with the opaque surfaces? Funnily enough on real hardware they look rather odd in comparison to the software rendering but it's still not TOTALLY opaque like the nGlide bug you just fixed.

Zeus
Site Admin

Post by Zeus » Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:09 pm

Surfaces weren't keyed properly.