Elder Scrolls Redguard

General discussion about nGlide.
robertmo

Re: Elder Scrolls Redguard

Post by robertmo »

gig_m4j0r wrote: 2. The dosbox build does not function well with this game with multiple cores. Either manually set the affinity from task manager or build a batch file.
This is interesting. Can you write more about it? What exactly happens in both cases (general lower fps or random hickup or sth else)?
I wonder if it is true for other OSes, dosbox builds, amd/intel, other games and why it behaves like that.
gig_m4j0r

Post by gig_m4j0r »

robertmo wrote:
gig_m4j0r wrote: 2. The dosbox build does not function well with this game with multiple cores. Either manually set the affinity from task manager or build a batch file.
This is interesting. Can you write more about it? What exactly happens in both cases (general lower fps or random hickup or sth else)?
I wonder if it is true for other OSes, dosbox builds, amd/intel, other games and why it behaves like that.
With an i5 -2500k, it would stutter and FPS would drop to sub-double digits. It was very sluggish and felt like Cyrus was swimming through porridge when in a town. This was all regardless of the cycles and frameskip settings.

When I set it to a single core, I think core 1 (that''s core #2), it ran fine. Literally, NOTHING was wrong.
Templar

Post by Templar »

Drowning witch wrote: for the sound, i opened "setsound.exe" from within dosbox, disabled midi and selected soundblaster for digital sound.

everything works perfectly now :)
Thanks for the guide! This thread has helped to solve a long lasting problem to actually play this game!

I just have one problem... I can't get the sound to work.
Sound works fine in the latest DOSBox SVN Daum build in any other DOS game I tested, but not in Redguard.

I run Windows Vista 64 with a Creative SB X-Fi.

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Zeus
Site Admin

Post by Zeus »

Weird. Setting SB/SB16 as MIDI and digital drivers works fine for me. Tested with Ykhwong's builds from 2014-01-25 and 2013-07-25 with SB X-Fi.
Templar

Post by Templar »

Thanks for your answer, Zeus!

I don't know what that changed, but after I ran the "Game Options" from the Autorun on the Play CD, the sound was back in the game!

I then just had to create a CUE/BIN file as gig_m4j0r had suggested and the music stutter was gone too!

Thanks again for this thread and of course for nGlide! :D
Prowler

Post by Prowler »

Now this thread seems to be active again, let me drop a new problem.

I'm running Windows 8.1 64-bit and have tried every solution under the sun to try and get Redguard running in 3dfx mode. I've started a topic at Vogons a while ago, but haven't come far: http://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=38006

Most of the topic is about running the game in a virtual Windows 98, but apparently that's a no-go. In Windows 8 I've tried nGlide, dgVoodoo and Glidos, and for some strange reason, only Glidos seems to work. Using the other two, the game starts up until the blinking underscore, then quits again. I've recently confirmed that Glide isn't even initialised when starting the game, so the wrapper is not the source of the problem, but rather some setting or configuration, or the OS.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated! :mrgreen:
Zeus
Site Admin

Post by Zeus »

Show your SVN Daum's dosbox.conf file you're using with nGlide.
Prowler

Post by Prowler »

Hey Zeus, here's the one I'm using now:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/222 ... osbox.conf

Edit: Sometimes there's an error message very shortly before it closes: 'Critical disk error, cannot run Redguard.' Mounting the game folder and disc doesn't seem to affect this.
Gamecollector

Post by Gamecollector »

Set cycles=max.
Check for glide2x.dll in the DOSBox directory - this file must be deleted.
And please tell us your's mount commands.
ASUS P4P800 SE, Pentium4 3.2E/2 GiB DDR400 (3-3-3-8), Sapphire Radeon HD3850 AGP, 2 Voodoo2 12 MB (SLI), Audigy 2 ZS.
Windows XP SP3 Pro Rus (w/o the POSReady hack), Catalyst 14.4, Voodoo2 W2k 1.02.00 drivers.
Prowler

Post by Prowler »

Thanks for the suggestions, but changing the cycles doesn't help, and I've got the .dll file renamed to .bak.

Here's my current mounting commands, at the end of the .conf file:

@echo off
mount c "C:\REDGUARD" -freesize 1000
imgmount d "C:\REDGUARD\Play.iso" -t iso -usecd -ioctl
c:

I've tried using the original disc before, like this: mount d D:\ -t cdrom -ioctl. As per the suggestions of UESP.