Pro Rally 2001

Report bugs, errors, problems, etc.
Bladeforce

Re: Pro Rally 2001

Post by Bladeforce »

Works a treat Zeus and thanks for 1.01 great stuff!
Zoomer

Post by Zoomer »

Zeus, that's just fantastic, thank you! I've tried to run this game on a modern system for a long time and been always facing that problem with level loading. Now it works perfectly. I know that this game is extremely unpopular yet this game is from my childhood and I always wanted to play it again. Not so long ago I even built a win98/p3-tualatin-1.4/i815/voodoo5-5500 system for it and now this system is useless, haha!

...well not entirely useless but still.

Thank you anyway. I see that fixing the level loading problem was rather easy for you. Could you please shed some details on what exactly was wrong with the exe?

I appreciate the things you're doing! And I do understand that donations are necessary. They're on their way, thank you again :)

Also do you have some ideas on why it crashes with dx7 render? I believe it somehow connected with that menu rendering which uses ddraw 2d?

And the last question: if it runs in 3dfx it uses 16-bit color mode, is it so?

Oh yea, and also for those who run it in windows xp or in Windows 7 with dsound->OpenAL wrapper (Alchemy, Realtek 3dsound back). If you want to run it with surround sound, open file .\DLL\sound\Snd_cpa.ini and under [DLL_Sxd] section change the following line:

Unconditionnal=none

to

Unconditionnal=WAVd3

Save it, then in the settings inside the game choose audio: Surround

Edit: Damn, the game crashes when I try to map a ff wheel to it. Oh well... Yeah, it falls apart. That's what you get for shoddy coding :)
OldByte

Post by OldByte »

Tried this with the new nGlide 1.01 but the game hangs in the loading screen. :(
Motherboard: MSI K9A2 CF, CPU: AMD Phenom 9550 2.20GHz, RAM: 4GB DDR2,
GPU: AMD/ATI Radeon HD 6770 1GB DDR4, OS: Windows XP SP3, Windows Vista 64bit SP2
Zoomer

Post by Zoomer »

Have you replaced game's exe with the file Zeus provided on the previous page?
OldByte

Post by OldByte »

Zoomer wrote:Have you replaced game's exe with the file Zeus provided on the previous page?
Yes I have.
Also installed with the P4 installer and updated it to 1.1.

Edit

I also tried it on my XP partition, but I'm still having the same problem.
Motherboard: MSI K9A2 CF, CPU: AMD Phenom 9550 2.20GHz, RAM: 4GB DDR2,
GPU: AMD/ATI Radeon HD 6770 1GB DDR4, OS: Windows XP SP3, Windows Vista 64bit SP2
Zeus
Site Admin

Post by Zeus »

Zoomer wrote:Could you please shed some details on what exactly was wrong with the exe?
Timers.. RDTSC timers. They are broken from P4 onwards, but I found that game works fine on AMDs. Modified exe exposes fake processor ID.
Zoomer wrote:Also do you have some ideas on why it crashes with dx7 render? I believe it somehow connected with that menu rendering which uses ddraw 2d?
No, I have no idea why it happens.
Zoomer wrote:And the last question: if it runs in 3dfx it uses 16-bit color mode, is it so?
nGlide converts everything to 32-bit on the fly.
OldByte wrote:Tried this with the new nGlide 1.01 but the game hangs in the loading screen. :(
Hmm.. I tested new exe on several Intels and AMDs.. but Phenom wasn't among them. Could this be the issue?
IceMan

Post by IceMan »

AMAZING! For the first time ever I can play it beyond the loading screen on Windows XP! I too have an old PC with Voodoo5 as a backup for this game!

As I'm on XP it runs fine in Direct3D - I'm using an older nVidia driver 260.99 on my 7800GS+ card, so wouldn't be surprised if newer ones break the game, 260.99 seems to run everything, whilst 285.58 breaks some games, and newer ones than that wreck everything from DX5-DX7 era!

I've actually tested getting on for 400 games across the driver versions, as I aim to hopefully get nVidia to at least notice the driver issue with newer drivers... anyway that's for another time.

Zeus, fantastic work! I do have 2 comments about the Glide version though: on my old P4 3.2GHz Extreme Edition PC, the behind-the-car views (F3/F4) are much slower than in car/cockpit (F1/F2), especially on night tracks; it may be something to do with the drawing of the car, or the shadow effects that move in 3D on objects at night.

Also, if you go into the graphics settings in the game and raise the resolution from 640x480 when running in Glide mode, the game keeps bombing back to the desktop saying Winmode error, then tries to change resolution, and fails again (you have to end-task prorally.exe).
My PC spec: Win10 64bit, i7-4970K (not overclocked) MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX 980, Creative Soundblaster ZX, 16GB RAM, Asus Z98-A motherboard, ROG Swift GSYNC monitor
Bladeforce

Post by Bladeforce »

Just a heads up, this game runs fine on my Win7 x64 box with fixed exe
GTX 550Ti 310.91 Drivers
stranno

Post by stranno »

Yup, it works great on Win7 64bit. But only in 640x480, otherwise it gives an error.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRfjp2vkEJc
Butterman

Post by Butterman »

I get an error box
WinMain
No 3D accelerationhardware was detected.
OK

i use the Demo version of this game so that is why it wont work maybe? But I played the demo version on win95/98 and i think i played it on a xp home edition.

xp pro sp3 can play quake 2 but its boring with just 1 game for the rest of my life. :cry: