M1 Tank Platoon 2

Report bugs, errors, problems, etc.
Jason1

Re: M1 Tank Platoon 2

Post by Jason1 »

It normally CTDs for me, too after a mission. Sometimes, I can play several missions without CTD, but it is very rare, seemingly only when I have not played in a long time. This has happened with other 3dfx emulators I have tried over the years, so it's not specific to this one. I think the switch from the 3dfx simulation back to the 2D menu is what causes the crash, but it's mysterious that it behaves in the intermittent way it does.

(I guess I should mention, I currently have Win 7 64 with a Radeon HD6800. I have also tried it with a GeForce 8800 and various other ATI and Nvidia cards (and 3dfx cards, for as long as that worked) over the years in every version of Windows since 98 -- when it last worked properly).

You can play the game with direct3D mode or software without the CTD. It doesn't look very nice, of course...

By the way, here's a screenshot of the alpha bugs I mentioned a long time ago - sorry it took so long!
Zeus
Site Admin

Post by Zeus »

Jason1 wrote:By the way, here's a screenshot of the alpha bugs I mentioned a long time ago - sorry it took so long!
I can't replicate this issue. Can you tell me more about it? Which nGlide version was used? Does it happen in every mission? Does it happen only in certain circumstances? What graphics card was used?
Jason1

Post by Jason1 »

I think this happens every mission, but I'm not sure when it starts. I don't tend to notice it right away, but after a while in a mission, I see it (not sure if that's because I'm not looking, or it goes bad part way through). I tend to switch between views a lot, gunsight, roof, outside, map and back...

This happens with every version of NGlide I've tried. I've tried the latest (v0.99), too. I'm currently using a Radeon HD6800 (with latest drivers).

In this picture, I've configured NGlide to bump the resolution up from the m1tp2 native 640x480 to 1680x1050.
robertmo

Post by robertmo »

does it help for textures if you start the game in win98 compatibility mode?
does it help if you don't move/click the mouse at the mission end?
is it possible to make a savegame before finishing the mission?
Jason1

Post by Jason1 »

robertmo wrote:does it help for textures if you start the game in win98 compatibility mode?
I always start in Win 95 compatibility mode - it doesn't fix it
robertmo wrote:does it help if you don't move/click the mouse at the mission end?
Not as far as I can tell
robertmo wrote:is it possible to make a savegame before finishing the mission?
No, you do not have control over saving the game - (it's a dynamic campaign)
Zeus
Site Admin

Post by Zeus »

agathosdaimon

Post by agathosdaimon »

well i am pleased - i just install nglide 1.00 and played m1 tank platoon 2 for two missions with no problems - no crashes, i just left the game myself with ctrl alt del
i dont know how long it will remain stable for but it played great with no glitches - i was running this on just windows xp with an atr radeon 5700 - the computer and card are a few years old - i am glad though i have kept this second computer as such
i dont know whether it matters but compatibility mode is set to windows 95.

even if the game crashes still after a couple of missions this is still great and can still mean that one can play the dynamic campaigns which were what i loved about this game
agathosdaimon

Post by agathosdaimon »

well i just tried m1 tank platoon 2 on a windows 7 64bit os and although the battles play very very nicely now no glitches with anything that i could find, it crashed to desktop when i completed the mission - if this could be rectified it would be great
- i guess i will just stick to my xp computer if i want to play it - it is a great game and with just the 1.1 patch the ai is ferocious (for anyone still playing m1tp2 patching the game just to 1.1 and not 1.2 makes for a far better game as the ai seems to be more active and deadly and air support on all sides gets into thick of battle )
Gamecollector

Post by Gamecollector »

Unfortunately even in Xp+nGlide the "end mission" crash is still happening...
ASUS P4P800 SE, Pentium4 3.2E/2 GiB DDR400 (3-3-3-8), Sapphire Radeon HD3850 AGP, 2 Voodoo2 12 MB (SLI), Audigy 2 ZS.
Windows XP SP3 Pro Rus (w/o the POSReady hack), Catalyst 14.4, Voodoo2 W2k 1.02.00 drivers.
agathosdaimon

Post by agathosdaimon »

oh, well maybe it doesnt happen all the time? i did play two consecutive missions - one in single player and one in campagain with no CTD at all - with the game patched as version 1.1 only (not sure if that makes a difference performance wise) - sorry, i guess i was hoping that maybe at least that error had been gotten out of the way.

Is this something that Nglide will be able to fix in a future release - switching i suppose from 3dfx back to whatever is used for the de-briefing screen