3 Problems with Rayman 2

General discussion about nGlide.
JohnnyGui

3 Problems with Rayman 2

Postby JohnnyGui » Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:55 pm

Hey all,

Sorry if this has been discussed countless of times. I have three problems with Rayman 2 that I'd really like to solve.

1. I've been playing the latest GOG version of Rayman 2 and I noticed that the game is using an old version of nGlide (1.02) while there's an 1.05 version available. I can see that this old 1.02 version of nGlide has its files in the Rayman 2 directory and I'm wondering if there's a way to make the game use the 1.05 version instead. Do I have to replace the nGlide 1.02 files in the game directory with the 1.05 files and if so, where do I get these 1.05 files since all I have is an installer of nGlide 1.05.

2. My 2nd problem is that the framerate of Rayman 2 seems to be capped at 30 fps when I turn ON vertical sync in the nGlide settings. Turning vertical sync OFF will give me the full 60 fps but then there would be screen tearing all over the place which is very bad to look at. I have selected 60Hz in the nGlide settings, in the monitor settings and in my nvidia settings but this doesn't help. Is there a way to solve screen tearing while maintaining 60 fps ingame?

3. I am able to notice some color banding in the game, especially in lightrays and in dark areas. Is there ANY way to enable 32 bit color or dithering of 16bit colors with nGlide in Rayman 2?

My PC specs:
- GTX 660Ti 2GB with latest nvidia drivers
- i5-3570K CPU
- 8 GB RAM
- Windows 8.1 x64 Pro

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

JohnnyGui

Re: 3 Problems with Rayman 2

Postby JohnnyGui » Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:44 pm

Ok so I seem to have partially solved Problem no. 2 by switching Vsync in the nGlide Configurator OFF and switching Vsync in my nVidia Control Panel ON. It is partially solved since it does now give me 60 FPS in-game, but it seems that when moving the camera around there's a rythmic stutter of the background movement every 0.5 seconds or so. The weird thing is that the character's movement (Rayman) isn't isn't stuttering at all. It's only the environment which seems to have a rythmic stutter every time the camera moves along with the character.

Zeus
Site Admin

Postby Zeus » Sat Feb 13, 2016 4:54 pm

JohnnyGui wrote:1. I've been playing the latest GOG version of Rayman 2 and I noticed that the game is using an old version of nGlide (1.02) while there's an 1.05 version available. I can see that this old 1.02 version of nGlide has its files in the Rayman 2 directory and I'm wondering if there's a way to make the game use the 1.05 version instead. Do I have to replace the nGlide 1.02 files in the game directory with the 1.05 files and if so, where do I get these 1.05 files since all I have is an installer of nGlide 1.05.

Install nGlide 1.05 and rename/delete glide2x.dll file from your game folder. The game will now use 1.05 instead.

JohnnyGui wrote:Ok so I seem to have partially solved Problem no. 2 by switching Vsync in the nGlide Configurator OFF and switching Vsync in my nVidia Control Panel ON.

How is this possible? "nGlide Vsync=On" + "nVidiaCP Vsync=By app" gives exactly the same result as "nGlide Vsync=On\Off" + "nVidiaCP Vsync=Force On".

How do you measure the framerate?

JohnnyGui wrote:3. I am able to notice some color banding in the game, especially in lightrays and in dark areas. Is there ANY way to enable 32 bit color or dithering of 16bit colors with nGlide in Rayman 2?

nGlide automatically converts everything to 32-bit and that's the maximum image quality you can squeeze from a 16-bit color game.

JohnnyGui

Postby JohnnyGui » Sun Feb 14, 2016 1:22 am

Zeus wrote:Install nGlide 1.05 and rename/delete glide2x.dll file from your game folder. The game will now use 1.05 instead.

Is it also OK if I install the nGlide 1.05 and then copy all of its installed files from the SysWOW64 folder to the Rayman directory which then substitutes all of the old nGlide 1.02 files in there? Because it seems that the GOG version installs the exact same files of nGlide in the Rayman 2 directory only they're the 1.02 version instead of 1.05.

Zeus wrote:
JohnnyGui wrote:Ok so I seem to have partially solved Problem no. 2 by switching Vsync in the nGlide Configurator OFF and switching Vsync in my nVidia Control Panel ON.

How is this possible? "nGlide Vsync=On" + "nVidiaCP Vsync=By app" gives exactly the same result as "nGlide Vsync=On\Off" + "nVidiaCP Vsync=Force On".

How do you measure the framerate?

I think I've described my framerate problem the wrong way. By switching Vsync in the nGlide Configurator ON and changing Vsync in the NVidiaCP to "By app" it seems that the movement regarding the camera as well as every animated thing in Rayman 2 is too fast. In fact, it goes that fast to the extent that movements aren't really that smooth as in 60FPS even though I've selected 60Hz as a refresh rate in the nGlide Configurator (which is my monitor's refresh rate). There's even an animation bug of Rayman because of this increased movement speed: when Rayman hangs on a ledge and you pull him up, he pulls himself up too high above the ledge and then falls back down. There also seem to be some camera transition problems during scenes ingame.

However, when you switch nGlide Vsync to OFF, and nVidiaCP Vsync to ON, the game would move slower and much smoother according to the refresh rate. The hanging ledge glitch and the camera transition issues would also be fixed. I don't use a framerate meter but you could very easily notice the difference in smoothness. However, there's a problem when fixing it that way because there seems to be a rhythmic stutter of the environment when the camera moves even though the movement is smooth overall.

Zeus
Site Admin

Postby Zeus » Sun Feb 14, 2016 2:15 am

JohnnyGui wrote:Is it also OK if I install the nGlide 1.05 and then copy all of its installed files from the SysWOW64 folder to the Rayman directory which then substitutes all of the old nGlide 1.02 files in there?

Yes.

JohnnyGui

Postby JohnnyGui » Sun Feb 14, 2016 2:26 am

Zeus wrote:
JohnnyGui wrote:Is it also OK if I install the nGlide 1.05 and then copy all of its installed files from the SysWOW64 folder to the Rayman directory which then substitutes all of the old nGlide 1.02 files in there?

Yes.

Thanks for the info.

Were you able to reproduce the difference in smoothness and the glitches that tend to happen when enabling nGlide Vsync and disabling nVidia Vsync?

Zeus
Site Admin

Postby Zeus » Fri Feb 26, 2016 4:11 pm

No, not yet...

JohnnyGui

Postby JohnnyGui » Fri Feb 26, 2016 4:22 pm

Zeus wrote:No, not yet...

Looking forward to hear from you about this.

I have another question btw; is there any possibility you could increase the FOV value of Rayman 2 with nGlide since using widescreen in that game makes objects pop up and vanish on the sides?

Zeus
Site Admin

Postby Zeus » Fri Feb 26, 2016 4:48 pm

nGlide can't do that. You would have to modify game exe/assets.

JohnnyGui

Postby JohnnyGui » Fri Mar 11, 2016 5:34 pm

Ok, thanks for the answer. Hope to hear from you about the bugs mentioned.

Return to “General”