Need For Speed III Modern Patch (HD + Widescreen + Portable)

General discussion about nGlide.
Manticore

Re: Need For Speed III Widescreen Patch

Postby Manticore » Sat May 30, 2015 10:27 pm

The last file you've sent me works.

Yup, no error message ever appeared to me.

VEG

Postby VEG » Sat May 30, 2015 10:44 pm

It works perfectly witout any errors, game doesn't crash at the end of the progress?
Ok. There is v1.1 with the same fix as I've done for the alpha revision 5:
http://veg.by/files/nfs3/nfs3-patch-latest.7z

VEG

Postby VEG » Sun May 31, 2015 8:04 am

Manticore wrote:Yes, it works :) Case closed :)

But the main problem that I've fixed insignificant thing. I've removed one flag from the main window which I've added in the alpha revision 5. This flag have not to be a cause for any problem, it have to just enable system menu for the main window. Also I still have non-permanent silent crashes at the end of loading. It seems that this flag somehow forced appearing of this bug on your system, but without this flag the bug is still here, at least I can catch it on my system with original nfs3.exe, voodoo2a.dll from the Future Cop and nGlide's glide3x.dll.

I will try to check it with voodoo2a.dll from Fifa99 (which is distributed on nGlide's compatibility page). The main problem that this problem occurs not always on my system. Sometimes it doesn't occur for a long time, but in other cases it may crash game several times in a row, etc.

UPD. It seems that all problems are still there with voodoo2a.dll from the FIFA 99 Official Patch (which is distributed on nGlide's compatibility page for NFS3).

VEG

Postby VEG » Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:47 am

Current work in progress: http://veg.by/files/nfs3/outbin.7z
Main new things:
— New thrash driver structure and flexible thrash driver settings. Now you can set some thrash driver capabilities in thrash.ini, your values will override hardcoded ones. So, you can enable fog capability without changing driver type.
— DX6 driver from NFS4/3dsetup. It supports fog effect on Windows XP. Unfortunately, it doesn't supports this feature on modern OS (I don't know why), so you will see buggy horizon and no fog.
Please test if your system supports fog in the DX6 mode and report what are your OS and GPU/drivers.

VEG

Postby VEG » Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:02 am

Latest news: DX6 now has full fog support on all systems what can run it. Thanks Dege (author of the dgVoodoo) for a valuable help with Direct3D. I think I could not do it alone (without his experience).

Gamecollector

Postby Gamecollector » Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:16 am

I have read this discussion. If I understood correctly - you must disable 1 API call and this call is identical in all thrash drivers? So - what are old and new patterns and what are offsets for standard NFS3 and NFS4 d3da.dlls?
Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400 (3-3-3-8),
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
2 Voodoo2 12 MB (SLI), Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).

VEG

Postby VEG » Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:49 am

If I understood correctly - you must disable 1 API call and this call is identical in all thrash drivers?

No, this patch a little more complicated.

It seems that thrash API according to fog was changed when NFS4 was released. So, NFS4/3dsetup/d3da.dll (and d3da.dll from the NFS4 DEMO) can work with fog in NFS3, but NFS4/d3da.dll can't. It needs investigation. It seems that API was slightly changed, because all control codes according to fog is same. Maybe latest thrash drivers need some additional init code for fog or so.
What's interesting, original d3da.dll from NFS3 also knows about fog and it uses same control codes. Maybe this support hadn't finished when NFS3 was released, so developers disabled this ability.

If you know any d3d thrash driver which displays fog in NFS3, tell me. You can test any thrash driver on Windows XP, but be noticed, that original NFS3 doesn't try to use fog in D3D mode, so use it as voodoo2. Or use latest beta of my patch, where is possible to enable fog for any thrash driver.

VEG

Postby VEG » Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:19 pm

Be noticed that any original thrash have two versions:
One of them shows date and time of the build. So it allows to sort many thrash drivers and make conclusions about compatibility.

VEG

Postby VEG » Fri Jun 12, 2015 6:56 am

A new version of this patch is released. 1.2.0 is here :)
Now the name of this patch is Modern Patch, because it is not only widescreen, it is much more than widescreen patch.

VEG

Re: Need For Speed III Modern Patch (HD + Widescreen + Portable)

Postby VEG » Sun Jun 14, 2015 4:47 pm

Beta version of the next version of the patch which have to work on multicore systems without SingleProcAffinity: http://veg.by/files/nfs3/outbin.7z

Please test it with all thrash drivers and report here.

Return to “General”