Need For Speed III Modern Patch (HD + Widescreen + Portable)

General discussion about nGlide.
Manticore

Re: Need For Speed III Widescreen Patch

Post by Manticore »

OK, I did the tests. Sorry it took me so long, I had some important things to do in real life :)

The original game works fine with each of the three files (voodoo2_std, voodoo2_xtd and voodoo2 from your patch). The patched game however crashes when I try to run it in 3dfx mode.
VEG

Post by VEG »

It means that there is some error in the patched nfs3.exe. Can you tell how it crashes? Have you seen any error messages with debug information, etc.? What is your OS?

Can you test this exe? http://veg.by/files/nfs3/origp1/nfs3.exe
It's an original nfs3.exe with a few bytes were changed. The name of this file have to be nfs3.exe. Run it with -voodoo2 argument. This file uses voodoo2a.dll. Try it with any vooodoo2* thrash driver with which original game works.
Last edited by VEG on Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Manticore

Post by Manticore »

VEG wrote:It means that there is some error in the patched nfs3.exe. Can you tell how it crashes? Have you seen any error messages with debug information, etc.? What is your OS?
The game crashes when it's about to finish loading a race, but instead starting the race, it returns to desktop without any message. My OS is Windows 8.1 64-bit.
VEG wrote:Can you test this exe? http://veg.by/files/nfs3/origp1/nfs3.exe
It works without a crash :)
VEG

Post by VEG »

Manticore

Post by Manticore »

Both work :)
VEG

Post by VEG »

Manticore wrote:Both work :)
You've tested in voodoo2 mode? For example, fonts in the main menu are sharp? (in d3d mode fonts in the main menu are blurred).

I have 40 different revisions from the 1st of May. I don't know where bug is introduced. We have to find which revision had introduced this bug.

So, another revisions:
http://veg.by/files/nfs3/nfs3-patch-alpha-2015-05-10.7z
http://veg.by/files/nfs3/nfs3-patch-alpha-2015-05-15.7z
Manticore

Post by Manticore »

VEG wrote: You've tested in voodoo2 mode? For example, fonts in the main menu are sharp? (in d3d mode fonts in the main menu are blurred).
Yes. Menus are sharp and the 3dfx logo appears before the game starts.
These files cause a crash, but a different one than before. Now the game crashes after I press the Race button, before the track loading screen appears.
VEG

Post by VEG »

I've caught this silent crash at the end of loading progress on my system several times. But it seems that it affects all versions of NFS3, including original NFS3 executables. But sometimes it disappears completely. Usually it crashes on first run after some time after doing other things. For example, just now I've caught this silent crash twice with original nfs3.exe (even without no cd) + original voodoo2a.dll from the Future Cop.
Are you sure that this crash is permanent on your system with widescreen patch? Can you check it? Please try to run latest version of widescreen patch several times with NoErrorReporting=0 or NoErrorReporting=1 in ini file.
Manticore

Post by Manticore »

The crash is permanent. I tried to run the game 4 times in a row, and it appeared every time.

Now, more testing results: I've tested the alpha files you sent me, and Alpha 4 is the last one that works correctly in 3dfx mode. Alphas 5-10 crash before the loading screen appears.
VEG

Post by VEG »

I've sent you alpha5 with one-byte fix. Possibly it will prevent from crashing on the beginning of loading.
When it crashes at the beginning of loading there is also no any crash reports or messages?