Need For Speed III Modern Patch (HD + Widescreen + Portable)

General discussion about nGlide.
VEG

Re: Need For Speed III Modern Patch (HD + Widescreen + Portable)

Post by VEG »

“In Car” camera has a little shift to left side, that's why this problem occurs only on the left side of the screen. Also, I suppose that you're using Wide View Angle setting. It affects all cameras. It is not recommended when “In Car” camera is used. Use Normal or Narrow View Angle in this case. Just because cockpit images are not intended for using with such view angle and it looks like right side of your car is flattened when you're colliding with walls using right side of your car =)
VEG

Post by VEG »

http://veg.by/files/nfs3/nfs3_modern_patch_beta.7z

- “Rear View Camera” setting which allows to lock the rear view camera in the car. It greatly increases visibility and reduces the blind spot when the current main camera is not “In Car”.
- Experimental ini setting AllowHugeTextures which enables huge texture (512×512, 1024×1024, and 2048×2048) support for track elements and cars during gameplay. Useful for the game modding.
- Better Rear View Detail setting. Light from the car headlights and cop flashers will be rendered even on Medium value of this setting. View Distance and Car Detail in the Rear View Mirror now depends on Rear View Detail also. So, if you have performance problems with High level of the Rear View Detail setting, just use Medium. It have to be much more usable now.
- Better compatibility with Thrash API v107 according to fog. So, DX7 renderer can render fog in the NFS3 now.
rata536

Post by rata536 »

First of all, thank you very much for this patch. It allows me to play my favourite NFS game even in my crappy netbook, and it allows me to go crazy with my mods with little to no performance penalty on my old desktop PC. I'm starting modding again thank you this patch.

I do have a couple of request/suggestions that I don't know if they are possible, but if it is possible, you're the man for doing it. Is it possible to remove the medium, low and tiny detail objecrs requeriment to have funtional pop-up lights? For example, stock NFS4 doesn't require your car's FCE (3D model) medium and low detail objects to show the pop-up lights. However, in NFS3 you have to put medium, small and tiny detail objets. This is a problem because it raises the total polycount of the object. I know it's not a huge deal anymore since your patch allows you to use more memory, but it can help since it doesn't have to load a lot of unused parts.

Is it possible to improve the 3D models with moving parts just like NFS2 SE does? For example, in NFS2 the McLaren raises its spoiler at high speeds (even different angles at different speeds in a 97s game!) and braking. However, in NFS3 this is not possible, even though Scighera has a moving spoiler and side intakes. Another feature that NFS2 has that NFS3 doesn't is the option of digital car's dashboard.

Is it possible to make the game use a new image for back viewing on inside's camera? Pretty much like NFS5 does, but using an image. Maybe theese perks could get loaded from a separate file to retain backwards compatibility or maybe I'm just talking bullcrap, but theese features would revitalize the game even more than you already did.

Is it possible to make the game actually add more tracks instead of just replacing them?

Sorry if this request/suggestion bombarding get's annoying to you. I just want to say again that thank you very much for doing this! You're already doing magic on this game.
willow31

Post by willow31 »

I have a problem with the modern patch. It doesn't work with my CD from french version of nfs 3.
I have made these 3 steps
"How To Install:

1. Copy FEDATA and GAMEDATA directories from original CD to new empty directory.
2. Extract contents of nfs3-widescreen-patch.7z (1.1Mb) into that directory with replacement of files.
3. Done!"
But game told me

I don't know how solve this problem.
Sammy75

Post by Sammy75 »

Edit nfs3.ini and set Language to French
KrossX

Post by KrossX »

@VEG: Is there any information about the Thrash API that can be shared?

PS: Thanks @Zeus. :D
Zeus
Site Admin

Post by Zeus »

Talk to Verok from old-games.ru. He developes native OpenGL 1.0/OpenGL 3.0 thrash drivers.

You can find sources here:
https://github.com/Verokster/3rash-module
KrossX

Post by KrossX »

:shock: :o

Awesome! That's way more than I had ever hoped for. Now to have fun checking how wrong I was.

PS: My last try at reverse engineering the Thrash API was over four years ago. Time flies ain't it.
Sammy75

Post by Sammy75 »

I've got some Cars as Car.viv file to mod the Game.. some work some not.
I remember playing with a car called "copkiller" when i played the original NFS3.

But with modern patch the game crashes after loading the race when copkiller as players car is selected.
VEG

Post by VEG »

Sammy75 wrote:I've got some Cars as Car.viv file to mod the Game.. some work some not.
I remember playing with a car called "copkiller" when i played the original NFS3.

But with modern patch the game crashes after loading the race when copkiller as players car is selected.
It is not enough to understand the root of the problem. Please check it in the original version of the game. And if it will turn out that the problem occurs only with the Modern Patch, share this car and I'll look what causes the problem, and I'll fix it if it was caused by my fixes.