"new" obscure glide game discovered!

General discussion about nGlide.
myloch

"new" obscure glide game discovered!

Post by myloch »

Well well...I guess that not many of you heard about this arcade game...

...me too, I totally ignored its existence until I casually read the name "ComeOnBaby" in a forum about old games.
This made my curiosity tingle and I digged deep into google for infos:
It was made by a korean company called ExPotato in 2000,
6 babies (yes, babies!) compete in a collection of minigames and
it runs on a system that is basically a Windows 98 Celeron 500 PC :o
More infos here:
http://src.gnu-darwin.org/ports/emulato ... comebaby.c

Even more I bet no one of you knew that a pc port (released around 2002) actually existed. 8-)
Thanks to a website called HardcoreGaming101, I discovered and entered the obscure world of korean pc software!

Guess what? It's identical to the arcade game and it supports Direct3d and (drumroll) Glide! :shock:
The native support for 3dfx/Voodoo is not even mentioned in the system requirements on the back of the box...
...asian oddities! :roll:

You can select the 3d acceleration mode using a setup tool and there are two executables,
one for D3D and the other for 3dfx.
After a failed first attempt (a popup error message with korean text :?), I noticed a glide2x.dll file
in the game directory, I removed it and voila, the game now starts and runs using Nglide, 100% glitch free.

A frickin' 2002 korean game with pure glide support not present in ANY list of glide games out there...
Cool story!
Zeus
Site Admin

Re: "new" obscure glide game discovered!

Post by Zeus »

WOW! Now I need to get it. :)
IceMan

Post by IceMan »

I have a more obscure game: XLR8... It's a futuristic Racer by Speedworx that was only released in a London arcade, as far as I can tell, but was advertised around the same time as Plane Crazy, by Europress, but never came out. Anyway I've got a pre-release demo of it from an ex-developer. It ONLY really works with nGlide!
My PC spec: Win10 64bit, i7-4970K (not overclocked) MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX 980, Creative Soundblaster ZX, 16GB RAM, Asus Z98-A motherboard, ROG Swift GSYNC monitor
Stiletto

Post by Stiletto »

Would you believe a MAME developer actually frequents this forum, myloch? ;)
Interesting find!

BTW, these days you should always link to MAME's github for the latest source when using it as a reference:
https://github.com/mamedev/mame/blob/ma ... comebaby.c
myloch

Post by myloch »

The silly thing is that this shit cannot run on retro-pc with voodoo2 ("mipmap cannot span 2MB boundary" error).
Thank god Nglide exists :D
Gamecollector

Post by Gamecollector »

myloch wrote:The silly thing is that this shit cannot run on retro-pc with voodoo2 ("mipmap cannot span 2MB boundary" error).
Thank god Nglide exists :D
This error can be fixed with "Limit texture memory to 2 MBytes for Glide apps" checkbox in the Voodoo2 control panel.
There are more games with the same behavior: European Air War and Millennium Racer: Y2k Fighters.
ASUS P4P800 SE, Pentium4 3.2E/2 GiB DDR400 (3-3-3-8), Sapphire Radeon HD3850 AGP, 2 Voodoo2 12 MB (SLI), Audigy 2 ZS.
Windows XP SP3 Pro Rus (w/o the POSReady hack), Catalyst 14.4, Voodoo2 W2k 1.02.00 drivers.
myloch

Post by myloch »

I already tried but the game simply doesn't care about it or the setting is not correctly applied.
Is there a manual way to do it?

I have windows98 + voodoo2. what driver do you advice?
Gamecollector

Post by Gamecollector »

I have used 3.02.02 on my Win9x Voodoo2 PC.
This fix works in WinXp, dunno about Win9x.
ASUS P4P800 SE, Pentium4 3.2E/2 GiB DDR400 (3-3-3-8), Sapphire Radeon HD3850 AGP, 2 Voodoo2 12 MB (SLI), Audigy 2 ZS.
Windows XP SP3 Pro Rus (w/o the POSReady hack), Catalyst 14.4, Voodoo2 W2k 1.02.00 drivers.
myloch

Post by myloch »

Nah, I put the same driver as you, checked the settings and run the game. It runs until main menu and then it crashes visualizing that error.

But looking at the system requirements:

Google translated directly from Expotato official page.

It says it needs a card with 6m or more texture memory.
So probably this game can run correctly only with a Voodoo3 (or superior) card.

End of story :)