Andretti Racing - Windows XP / 7 / 8 / 10

General discussion about nGlide.
Zeus
Site Admin

Andretti Racing - Windows XP / 7 / 8 / 10

Post by Zeus »

Just want to let you know that I uploaded a patch for Andretti Racing today and the game is now playable.

Instructions:

1) Install the game with Windows 95 compatibility mode (setup.exe)
2) Install nGlide
3) Replace 'andretti.exe' from here
4) Play

Movies and message queue were two main problems that stopped the game from working properly on new systems so I had to disable playback along with CD-check. DxWnd helped a lot while debugging, but now it's not needed for playing.
IceMan

Re: Andretti Racing - Windows XP / 7 / 8 / 10

Post by IceMan »

That's cool, I just bought a copy to try it out, only ever played the demo on a real Voodoo5 card.

As an aside, and not Glide related, if you enjoy working out what's stopping games from working properly, you could take a look at ToCA 2 Touring Cars, which apparently takes over 1 hour to load the race on modern PCs (which can be sidestepped by installing a cheat engine and speeding up the game during loading), but it doesn't sound ideal, see here: http://games.reveur.de/en/news/3578,TOC ... -7-PC.html

If you do solve that one you'd be the first person on the net to do so!
My PC spec: Win10 64bit, i7-4970K (not overclocked) MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX 980, Creative Soundblaster ZX, 16GB RAM, Asus Z98-A motherboard, ROG Swift GSYNC monitor
Zeus
Site Admin

Post by Zeus »

Open TC2.exe with a hex editor, go to offset 0x706ED and change 7E to EB.
IceMan

Post by IceMan »

Zeus wrote:Open TC2.exe with a hex editor, go to offset 0x706ED and change 7E to EB.
That's amazing! How did you find/fix it so fast? However I have another request; when you install the latest/last 4.1 patch for the game (http://www.patches-scrolls.com/dl.php?file=toca2p41.zip) the .exe is re-written, so that hex value is in a different place and/or breaks the game if you change it.

Can you let me know what to change in the 4.1 patched version?
My PC spec: Win10 64bit, i7-4970K (not overclocked) MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX 980, Creative Soundblaster ZX, 16GB RAM, Asus Z98-A motherboard, ROG Swift GSYNC monitor
Zeus
Site Admin

Post by Zeus »

For 4.1 version the offset is 0x7426D.
IceMan wrote:How did you find/fix it so fast?
Experience and a bit of luck I guess...
IceMan

Post by IceMan »

That's cool, works too! I'll share this info around and credit it back here :)
Okaro

Post by Okaro »

Hi,

i registered in order to congratulate you for making this patch. I've been expecting for a very long time for some hypothetical update for Andretti Racing, but i had lost hope such a long time ago. Thank you very very much, Zeus.

Though, i still experiment some issues : when i want to set controls, the game makes a CD-check and doesn't care that my Andretti original CD is in the CD-ROM drive. I didn't manage to install the game from the CD using the Windows 95 compatibility, so instead i directly copied all of the CD files to my hard drive. I run under Windows 7 64-bit and have version 1.02 of nGlide. Do you have any idea ?

Greetings from France.
Zeus
Site Admin

Post by Zeus »

Thank you, Okaro.

Please redownload the patch. I added few modifications. Now controls dialog should also work on W7.
Okaro

Post by Okaro »

I redownloaded it and it perfectly works ! You really rock.

Some more information for anyone who would like to play it : the game freezed during a qualifying session and i was surprised to discover that it was related to the controller. I use a PS2 gamepad plugged using a USB adapter : the rumble feature works by default in Andretti Racing and the game doesn't allow not to use it. I disabled the effect in Windows's configuration panel, now the game looks perfectly stabilized.

Thanks again.
IceMan

Post by IceMan »

Hi Zeus, just been playing Andretti Racing, sometimes the cars and tracks don't appear in the menus, but that's not using Glide, so nothing for you to fix! However the videos seem quite interesting and integral to the game, so you think there might be any way to reinstate them? They seem to be mpeg format.
Last edited by IceMan on Sun Jun 08, 2014 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.