recommended requirements for Tomb Raider and UB

General discussion about nGlide.
fatal racing

recommended requirements for Tomb Raider and UB

Postby fatal racing » Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:18 pm

FAQ says this:

"For the most games (running at full speed) this configuration is good enough.
Processor:1-Core Intel / AMD at 2.0 GHz
Graphics card:Compatible with DirectX 9
Operating system:Windows XP / Windows 7 / Windows 8"

But IMHO these settings are too general ,I wonder what are the specific requirements to run Tomb Raider and the Unfinished Business bonus levels addon at full speed.I'm thinking about buying the games at Good Old Games ($9.99), but I'm not sure it will run good in my system.

I tried the TR1 demo (3dfx version) of TR1 "PC 3dfx Demo: City of Vilcabamba" under DOSBox SVN Daum (11. 23. 2012) build by ykhwong, but it run really slow, and the graphics looked liked it was still in software mode (set resolution to 1366x768 with aspect ratio enabled,both in nglide configurator and in DOSBox).

Dosbox.conf "cycles" variable was set to 75000 and "memsize" as 63",as instructed in the nglide FAQ and compatbility sections, but it runs really slow.I tried to change cycles to auto and tried many different resolutions and DOSBox settings, but no way to get the demo to run at a decent speed.I'm running the demo in a laptop with this settings:

Specs:

CPU:Intel Core i3-2350M @ 2.3 GHz
Graphic Adaptor: HD Graphics 3000
RAM: 4 GB DDR3 1333 MHz

Is this fast enough, or should I get new hardware? (I'll get a new high-end desktop rig with offboard graphic card in January).

Zeus
Site Admin

Re: recommended requirements for Tomb Raider and UB

Postby Zeus » Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:42 pm

Your CPU looks fine, but make sure HD Graphics 3000 is compatible with DirectX 9 (check another 3dfx game if it works with nGlide).

fatal racing wrote:I tried the TR1 demo (3dfx version) of TR1 "PC 3dfx Demo: City of Vilcabamba" under DOSBox SVN Daum (11. 23. 2012) build by ykhwong, but it run really slow, and the graphics looked liked it was still in software mode (set resolution to 1366x768 with aspect ratio enabled,both in nglide configurator and in DOSBox).

That's because you didn't play it with nGlide. The demo is statically linked. In that case Ykhwong's build uses internal 3dfx emulation. Only full version of the game works with glide wrappers.

P.S. After you buy and install GOG's version of the game, don't forget to delete glide2x.dll file from game's directory.

P.P.S. If you don't have a GOG account yet, consider clicking this link before registration.
You'll get the same prices, but you'll support nGlide development at the same time. :)

fatal racing

Postby fatal racing » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:00 am

Thanks for the answer, Zeus!

I've tried the Driver demo and chose 3dfx renderer mode (glide 2.x), and it ran successfully (3dfx splash logo when starting the game), and the graphics looked good @ 1024 x 768, thus confirming glide wrapper is working and hardware acceleration is enabled.

I'm still unsure whether my laptop is powerful enough to run Tomb Raider and other 3D Dos games, so I'll wait till January when I'll get a quad core CPU (i5 2500k or FX-8120) and a discrete graphic card ,when it will be moe probable sure it will play 3D games such as Tomb Raider and Carmageddon at full speed.

Gamecollector

Postby Gamecollector » Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:32 am

nGlide is working with the DOS glide games through DOSBox. So, the only resource you need is the CPU power.
And DOSBox is using only 1 core, so in this case CPU power = CPU frequency.
Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400 (3-3-3-8),
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
2 Voodoo2 12 MB (SLI), Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).

Zeus
Site Admin

Postby Zeus » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:17 am

fatal racing wrote:it ran successfully (3dfx splash logo when starting the game), and the graphics looked good @ 1024 x 768, thus confirming glide wrapper is working and hardware acceleration is enabled.

Good to know.

fatal racing wrote:I'm still unsure whether my laptop is powerful enough to run Tomb Raider

TR1 should work at full speed on your i3...

fatal racing wrote:and Carmageddon

..but yeah, C1 is different. Sandy/Ivy 3.8 GHz or faster is recommended.

Return to “General”