Thanks from a GOG fan!

General discussion about nGlide.
tfishell

Thanks from a GOG fan!

Postby tfishell » Thu May 17, 2012 3:28 am

I recently-ish heard about how GOG and Zeus Software are partnering up to make even more classic games compatible with modern systems, and to improve compatibility/performance via nGlide with certain games already on GOG.com. I don't know much about the technology behind all this, but this was still music to my ears, because although I love GOG and how the team give a new lease on life to classic game, the games' forums always have people speaking of their woes with trying to get certain games to run; some desire refunds or threaten to stop purchasing from GOG.

As far as I know the GOG team members work quite hard and do their best testing (some of which I just learned about today) to make sure games work on a wide variety of hardware and software setups, but of course, they can't spend forever trying to fix every single bug for people, given how many different hw/sw combinations there ultimately are. I really hope using nGlide for those troublesome early 3D titles (etc?) lightens their load; significantly improves compatibility/drops the number of complaints, both justified or whiney; and gets Mr. Zeus (and team?) some recognition and cashflow over here.

You might be lifesaver(s) for those who want to play Dungeon Keeper 2, Interstate 76, Anachronix, etc. but can't right now.

GOG hasn't said anything officially yet, but one of the greaTEsT marketing guys there said that they had something coming in June to really improve compatibility. Presumably there's a hint at an nGlide announcement, but I could be wrong.

Either way, thanks for this. Very much.

Zeus
Site Admin

Re: Thanks from a GOG fan!

Postby Zeus » Thu May 17, 2012 10:56 pm

Thank you. We really appreciate it.

tfishell

Postby tfishell » Fri May 18, 2012 8:00 pm

Zeus wrote:Thank you. We really appreciate it.

No problem. If you chance upon any free time (and aren't obligated to secrecy), maybe you could occasionally drop some info about how things are going with GOG and game recreation for that service.

tfishell

Postby tfishell » Fri May 25, 2012 6:00 pm

Hopefully Carmegeddon will use nGlide instead of DosBox, as DB looks quite ugly. (But, I suppose the point is to be able to play it once again)

http://www.gog.com/en/forum/general/com ... splat_pack

Return to “General”