Uprising - join or die

General discussion about nGlide.
Squall Leonhart

Uprising - join or die

Postby Squall Leonhart » Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:49 am

Does anyone know how to get past the NT Detected error message during setup?

the game apparently does have a profile according to ACT, with the windows 95 LIE by default, but maybe the layout of my install disk is different to the version the compatibility app is for.

hmm, also does anyone else get blending issues in the Main menu's of Lead and Destroy.

3dfxer

Re: Uprising - join or die

Postby 3dfxer » Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:33 pm

Squall Leonhart wrote:Does anyone know how to get past the NT Detected error message during setup?

I would try to install the game in a virtual Win9x (or a real Win9x box, if you still have one) and then copy it over to the main machine. if you're lucky this is only a installer problem and the game itself works fine.

I do this all the time with old games (for other reasons). It works surprisingly well, quite often even copying the game directory is enough. In cases where it is not, you might have to transfer some registry entries, but that's not a problem.

Safest way to do this is making snapshots of the VM's registry before and after the install, which are then compared. It takes a little bit of experience to know which changes are are the important ones. But that's not too hard. Usually entries under "HK??\Software\Vendor Name\Game" are the ones you're after.

The snapshots can be taken with regedit, simply export the whole registry. For comparing there a various options. I use WinMerge.

There are also tools that semi-automatically record all changes an installer makes to a system. If you prefer that. Unfortunately right now I can't remember any name.

Squall Leonhart

Postby Squall Leonhart » Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:56 am

either that, or unpacking the data cab.

now any idea about the issue with uprising 2?

3dfxer

Postby 3dfxer » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:44 am

Squall Leonhart wrote:either that, or unpacking the data cab.

Ha, ha. For some reason I never thought of that. Most likely too easy. ;)

Although I think I'll stay with my a bit more complicated method because of the extra benefit regarding registry entries.

Return to “General”