Elder Scrolls Redguard

General discussion about nGlide.
Gamecollector

Re: Elder Scrolls Redguard

Post by Gamecollector »

Movies are on CD2.
ASUS P4P800 SE, Pentium4 3.2E/2 GiB DDR400 (3-3-3-8), Sapphire Radeon HD3850 AGP, 2 Voodoo2 12 MB (SLI), Audigy 2 ZS.
Windows XP SP3 Pro Rus (w/o the POSReady hack), Catalyst 14.4, Voodoo2 W2k 1.02.00 drivers.
gig_m4j0r

Post by gig_m4j0r »

I got the sound to work by running setsound through dosbox and got the FVMs to work by switching CD drives. I see that the "animation drive" is specified in the SYSTEM file. I will make note of this for the future.

Everything seems to work for now. THANK YOU all very much for your help and this wonderful program. I will spread word of your program.
gig_m4j0r

Post by gig_m4j0r »

This is more of an annoyance than a playability issue. The music seems to stutter and keep restarting when the game is in "game mode". The music plays fine when in menu mode. I removed "-noioctl" from the mount line and this made the game play more smoothly, but the music issue persists. Any idea what is causing this?
Drowning witch

Post by Drowning witch »

Hello everyone.

Im trying to play redguard by following this thread, but I'm having issues.

I've installed the sold out software version of redguard regularly. then i installed the latest dosbox from here:
http://ykhwong.x-y.net/xe/dosbox_data

i deleted the glide2x file, installed nglide 1.00.

I then edited dosbox.conf memory and fullscreen options as per first post

I also added:
mount c c:\games
mount d e:\ -t cdrom -noioctl

to autoexec section of dosbox.conf

I can run the game from within dosbox, but I have no sound. ive tried running setsound.exe from dosbox, but I don't know what sound card to select from there for midi or digital sound. tried a couple but nothing worked.

I am on windows 7 64bit with a x-fi xtremegamer card.

the other issue im having is that when i press esc to open the menu, it keeps listing through the menu downwards continually, without any input from my side.

any help with these two issues would be much appreciated :)
Gamecollector

Post by Gamecollector »

1. Go to DOSBox forum and read the guides. The explanations are too long, so - learn about the DOSBox sound emulation youself.
2. Gamepad/joystick issue. Set joysticktype=none in the .conf.
ASUS P4P800 SE, Pentium4 3.2E/2 GiB DDR400 (3-3-3-8), Sapphire Radeon HD3850 AGP, 2 Voodoo2 12 MB (SLI), Audigy 2 ZS.
Windows XP SP3 Pro Rus (w/o the POSReady hack), Catalyst 14.4, Voodoo2 W2k 1.02.00 drivers.
Drowning witch

Post by Drowning witch »

thx, the joystick thing helped :)

I was able to get everything working. :mrgreen:

Here is everything I did to get it working so some layman like myself can save himself some time :)

1.install redguard normally
2.get this version of dosbox http://ykhwong.x-y.net/xe/dosbox_data
3. delete glide2x file from dosbox folder
4. Download and install nGlide
5.Edit dosbox.conf (set memsize=63 and fullscreen=true and add this to [autoexec] section):

mount c c:\games
imgmount e c:\games\redguard\redguard2.cue -t iso

this way the fmv's work, obvioulsy directory structure is relative.

for the sound, i opened "setsound.exe" from within dosbox, disabled midi and selected soundblaster for digital sound.

everything works perfectly now :)
Cyyr

Post by Cyyr »

Hi everybody,

First post here, so hope you won´t hate for starting off with asking a (maybe) very stupid question.

I´m trying to run Redguard using nglide and I´ve followed all the instructions (configuring DosBOX like it says on the website, using the correct build and so on).

The problem is that I just get a black screen after the 3dfx splash, I never actually see the loading screen or anything. Any ideas on what I might be doing wrong?

I´ve got a Sony VAIO, Windows 7 64bit.

Hope anybody can help me, really wanna play this!
gulikoza

Post by gulikoza »

Try to set fixed cycles (15 - 20.000) before starting the game.
Zeus
Site Admin

Post by Zeus »

..or try to run DOSBox with a batch file.

Create dosbox.bat in DOSBox directory with:
SET SDL_VIDEODRIVER=directx
dosbox.exe
gig_m4j0r

Post by gig_m4j0r »

Just a quick update on what I have discovered, trying to get this game to run as perfectly as possible under Windows 7:

1. The original instructions posted in this thread must be followed.
2. The dosbox build does not function well with this game with multiple cores. Either manually set the affinity from task manager or build a batch file.
3. This game does not function well with the disk in the drive, virtual or physical. The music will skip and restart and the FVMs will either not play or not play well. You must create an ISO and access DIRECTLY THROUGH DOSBOX. Find the configuration file in the REDGUARD directory and change the "animation_drive" value to correspond to what you will place in DOSBox.
4. For my machine, the cycles were set at a bout 30k with a frameskip of 1.

I think that is it. I ran around for about three hours and it seemed to work perfectly. I plan to play again.