Would nGlide work in WinME?

General discussion about nGlide.
Kelton

Would nGlide work in WinME?

Postby Kelton » Tue May 17, 2011 11:49 am

Just as the title suggests. You see, I'm primarily interested in the DOS capabilities of the wrapper, but using DosBox for Pentium games, specially demanding ones like Carmageddon, is nothing short of pointless. The performance hit makes it pretty much unusable.

With that in mind, I see WinME as the best alternative since it fully supports DOS natively as well as DirectX 9.

The official requirements for the wrapper don't seem to imply it would actually work on WinME, but I do need confirmation, and should it actually be incompatible, would you consider creating a special build for WinME? I made sure the hardware in my 3.8ghz rig is retro enough to handle Win9X without hassle, but I haven't used it in a while and since it still needs to be reinstalled, I don't want to go through that if it's not going to work.

Thanks for your time and nGlide, what a beautiful piece of software 8-)

Gamecollector

Re: Would nGlide work in WinME?

Postby Gamecollector » Tue May 17, 2011 1:58 pm

nGlide is working in WinME. Tested by me. :)
Troubles - several options in the nGlide configurator are not working (gamma correction, refresh rate, logo and vsync). Plus detection is not working as good as in XP.
The second trouble - WinME supports only ATi X8xx and NV 6xxx videocards (and below).

Plus - you are very wrong. WinME do not FULLY supports DOS enviroment.
Last edited by Gamecollector on Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400 (3-3-3-8),
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
2 Voodoo2 12 MB (SLI), Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).

Kelton

Postby Kelton » Tue May 17, 2011 2:17 pm

Gamecollector wrote:nGlide works in WinME. Tested by me.
Troubles - several options in the nGlide configurator are not working. Plus detection routine not working as good as in XP

Thanks for the confirmation. The fact that it works at all is already interesting.

Gamecollector wrote:The second trouble - WinME supports only ATi X8xx and NV 6xxx videocards (and below).

Fortunately not my trouble.

Gamecollector wrote:Plus - you are very wrong. WinME do not FULLY supports DOS enviroment.

Other than real mode, yes, it's fully supports it.

Kelton

Postby Kelton » Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:32 am

I got around experimenting with nGlide on WinME but I couldn't get it to work, at least for DOS games, it's like it wasn't installed at all. Do I need to go through any extra steps?

Thanks in advance.

Squall Leonhart

Postby Squall Leonhart » Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:20 am

Kelton wrote:I got around experimenting with nGlide on WinME but I couldn't get it to work, at least for DOS games, it's like it wasn't installed at all. Do I need to go through any extra steps?

Thanks in advance.

3dfx dos games require the ovl drivers in native dos.

Return to “General”