New member/introduction

General discussion about nGlide.
Gazeus

New member/introduction

Postby Gazeus » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:54 pm

Hi, I actually sent an e-mail to Zeus Software via their website asking if I could be like a 'beta tester' for the nGlide glide wrapper. I have a lot of experience with glide wrappers and have used them for years. I have a good idea of what to look for in games regarding incompatibilities and graphical issues.

No reply (as yet) but I thought I'd join here and start posting my results regardless. It's also good to be able to share my test results and get feedback from the other members here. I don't make a habit of signing up to just any old software site forums, so there must be something about Zeus Software that grabs my attention. I think this is down mainly to the fact that nGlide is one of only three glide wrappers that have ever worked (on the most part) with my all-time favorite combat helicopter simulation, Jane's Longbow 2.

Whatsmore, Zeus is the only developer that is, as far as I can see, an actual company with active development of its software as opposed to the other two wrappers available that are made simply by individuals and who appear to have ceased developing.

Zeus
Site Admin

Re: New member/introduction

Postby Zeus » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:00 am

Welcome Gazeus,

Gazeus wrote:if I could be like a 'beta tester' for the nGlide glide wrapper.

Of course you can be a tester. There's no need to be any official tester in order to report some wrapper's bugs or post a suggestion. If you have some glide wrapper related information just post it here on forum in apropriate category. :)
It's up to you how many games you want to test and report.

As you mentioned in your email, some information (on nGlide's compatibility list) may need to complete, but this list can't contain every solution for every game's problem, so information like "do not use Catalyst x.xx driver because it's broken" won't be included. In addition, overall playability is not just about glide wrapper status. You can't solve audio or memory management problems with glide wrapper. Sadly though glide wrapper is not an emulator where you can control everything.

Gazeus wrote:It's also good to be able to share my test results and get feedback from the other members here

Of course.

Gazeus

Postby Gazeus » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:35 am

So what you mean there are no paid positions of beta tester!? :D

Thanks for the e-mail, I got it. Yeah I realize that not every compatibility issue can be listed on the compatibility list. What version of Windows do you test on? What graphics card? I just think that the version of Windows the wrapper is tested on should at least be included - just so people can distinguish if they should expect the same result with the wrapper on EVERY version of it or not.

I realize that a glide wrapper is not a whole emulation engine, but if I played a game, say, and got a crash to desktop - I'd want to know if it was just the version of Windows that I have or the version of the glide wrapper.

Zeus
Site Admin

Postby Zeus » Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:25 am

So what you mean there are no paid positions of beta tester!? :D

Haha. :D

What version of Windows do you test on?

As stated on nGlide's main page and readme - Windows XP and Windows 7.

What graphics card?

Now it's GeForce GTS 450, GeForce 7600 GS, GeForce 7300 GS, Radeon HD 4850. I used also GeForce 9800 GT and GeForce 4200 Ti in the past.

I just think that the version of Windows the wrapper is tested on should at least be included - just so people can distinguish if they should expect the same result with the wrapper on EVERY version of it or not.

It's included already on nGlide's main page and readme in 'Requirements' section. There's official support for XP and W7. Most games work well on both systems, but of course there are some titles like Need For Speed 2 SE or FIFA98 that works better on XP (sound stuttering problem on W7). And yes, every glide wrapper version is tested on XP/7.

I realize that a glide wrapper is not a whole emulation engine, but if I played a game, say, and got a crash to desktop - I'd want to know if it was just the version of Windows that I have or the version of the glide wrapper.

As a bug reporter you don't need to worry about this. If you noticing a problem that can't be solved, post it here.

Return to “General”