nglide without DosBox - glide2x.ovl?

General discussion about nGlide.
TomB

nglide without DosBox - glide2x.ovl?

Postby TomB » Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:12 pm

Long story short, I'm trying to play Carmageddon 1 on Linux via a Windows XP 32 bit virtual machine. It works beautifully with dgvoodoo but dgvoodoo doesn't support fixing the aspect ratio.

Running DosBox inside this Windows VM for nglide doesn't work (it's far too slow), dgvoodoo gets 50-500fps at 4k with a huge draw distance.

If I understand it correctly, nGlide could work without DosBox in the same way dgVoodoo does, if there was a glide2x.ovl <> glide2x.dll wrapper. Is this something that you have tried? Is there an existing glide2x.ovl that will work? (I tried both dgvoodoo's and the one that came with dosbox with nglides glide2x.dll, unsurprisingly it crashes instantly)

Zeus
Site Admin

Re: nglide without DosBox - glide2x.ovl?

Postby Zeus » Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:51 am

I'm afraid that's not possible, the NTVDM approach has been ditched by every wrapper author many years ago (I myself didn't even bother implementing it). Nowadays full emulation is the only reasonable approach. Sure, it will eat all your CPU cycles, but it guarantees it will work for many, many years.

I don't know what CPU do you have but I get 58-60 fps (Vsync on) all the time on Windows with my i7 6700K with a far distance setting and 51-60 fps (56 avg) with the highest.

I see one possible improvement in your setup. You don't have to run DOBox inside VM. You can try to save some cycles by running DOSBox directly though Wine.

Stiletto

Postby Stiletto » Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:27 am

I believe the glide2x.ovl provided with Glidos (http://www.glidos.net) will work with NTVDM and *any* Glide wrapper, as far as I can remember. dgVoodoo 1.x will not, its glide2x.ovl only works with dgVoodoo 1.x. Anyhow, Glidos worked with both OpenGlide and psVoodoo (and came with both) so it should in theory work with other Glide wrapper. I think all you'd need to do is replace the glide2x.dll provided with Glidos with the one from nGlide. Note that this might break Glidos's registration system. Your mileage may vary, and you will probably not be supported by either Glidos (Paul G.) or Zeus.

Stiletto

Postby Stiletto » Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:32 am

Anyhow for a better setup, you should probably use a Linux build of DOSBox and add the Glide passthrough patch (and possibly Voodoo emulation patch).

But if you're insistent on not using DosBox compiled for Linux native (outside of the VM) (to which you could add the Glide passthrough patch), and insistent on not using pure Voodoo emulation such as with DOSBox+Voodoo-emulation or PCem (http://pcem-emulator.co.uk/)...

... then I'd recommend replacing your VM with QEMU, there was a recently created Glide passthrough patch. https://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=60950

Note that this may require the use of a Linux-native Glide wrapper, not nGlide.

This all assumes you're comfortable with compiling your own binaries for Linux, but you're going to get the best performance this way.

TomB

Postby TomB » Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:45 pm

Zeus wrote:I'm afraid that's not possible, the NTVDM approach has been ditched by every wrapper author many years ago (I myself didn't even bother implementing it). Nowadays full emulation is the only reasonable approach. Sure, it will eat all your CPU cycles, but it guarantees it will work for many, many years.

I don't know what CPU do you have but I get 58-60 fps (Vsync on) all the time on Windows with my i7 6700K with a far distance setting and 51-60 fps (56 avg) with the highest.

I see one possible improvement in your setup. You don't have to run DOBox inside VM. You can try to save some cycles by running DOSBox directly though Wine.

Thanks, I had tried Wine->DosBox->nglide but the performance is significantly worse than dgvoodoo under an XP in virtualbox. In the virtual machine I get 50-500fps with a huge view distance, with DosBox/nglide under Wine I get about 8fps with the same settings. Obviously DosBox in a VM is painfully slow in comparison.

Stiletto wrote:I believe the glide2x.ovl provided with Glidos (http://www.glidos.net) will work with NTVDM and *any* Glide wrapper, as far as I can remember. dgVoodoo 1.x will not, its glide2x.ovl only works with dgVoodoo 1.x. Anyhow, Glidos worked with both OpenGlide and psVoodoo (and came with both) so it should in theory work with other Glide wrapper. I think all you'd need to do is replace the glide2x.dll provided with Glidos with the one from nGlide. Note that this might break Glidos's registration system. Your mileage may vary, and you will probably not be supported by either Glidos (Paul G.) or Zeus.

Thanks for the idea, but I tried it and it didn't work. NTVDM just crashes with the Glidos glide2x.ovl and nglide glide2x.dll.

Stiletto wrote:Anyhow for a better setup, you should probably use a Linux build of DOSBox and add the Glide passthrough patch (and possibly Voodoo emulation patch).

Yes you're right, unfortunately I'm struggling to get DosBox-daum to compile on Arch at the moment due to sdl-sound-hg not compiling. I'll keep trying as it might offer better performance.

Stiletto wrote:... then I'd recommend replacing your VM with QEMU, there was a recently created Glide passthrough patch. https://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=60950

That looks really interesting but the patch mentioned does not seem to be linked in the post.

Return to “General”