Framerate cap

New ideas and suggestions.
Binary Bob

Framerate cap

Postby Binary Bob » Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:42 am

I don't know to what degree this is commonplace in the 3dfx fauna, but I've noticed that this demo "Valley of Ra" is running twice as fast as it should.

Now, if a piece of software operates after some sort of internal, CPU cycle-based reference clock wherewith it's speed may be regulated, there's only so much that can be done when it's going too fast, and of a certainty it isn't at all appertaining to anything nGlide was intended to handle, but if the speed of say, this very demo, is dependent on the framrate it is capable of generating, then perhaps an option could be implemented so to cap it down to half the refresh rate it's being v-synced to, thus naturally slowing it down to proper pace.

I've only seen this being down properly in a couple of applications, one being Doom64 EX, a source port for the Nintendo 64 video game "Doom 64".

If the cap isn't carried out in strict accordance to vertical synchronization, the video will experience stuttering, which's very noticeable in first person shooters when turning left or right for any amount of time.

Just hope I have not overstayed my welcome by suggesting more than it stands reasonable.
Best regards.

Zeus
Site Admin

Re: Framerate cap

Postby Zeus » Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:03 pm

Valley of Ra works fine, 60 fps as designed. No bug here.

Return to “Suggestions”