Widescreen Support - Custom Cropped output

New ideas and suggestions.
piltrafus

Widescreen Support - Custom Cropped output

Postby piltrafus » Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:59 am

Hi,
I was wondering if it would be possible to add the option to crop the original render from any game and output the resulting image fullscreen. The idea behind it is to support customized widescreen modes.

For example:
Original 4:3 Render at 2565x1440 px.
Cropped HD 16:9 area from original render
Display cropped area fullscreen
Apply custom camera FOV

The final image is similar to the original 4:3 ratio with extended view on the sides for widescreen display.
Modders then can correct the HUD position or edit the camera FOV if necessary for every game. If Nglide opens this possibility many games could be fully enjoyed in widescreen displays.

Thanks for Nglide

Regards.

Zeus
Site Admin

Re: Widescreen Support - Custom Cropped output

Postby Zeus » Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:22 pm

I was asked for this many times and the answer (unfortunately) will always be no.

There are too many disadvantages/problems with it:
  • heavy performance degradation
  • graphical glitches (games often use output of one frame (or its part) as an input for another (or another part of the same frame), this is true for color and depth buffer
  • no distinction between 2d/3d elements which means reposition cannot be done during rendering
  • FOV also cannot be changed during rendering (Glide API operates on transformed vertices)
FOV mod and reposition could only be made manually by modders. And even then only to some degree. Not every value to reposition sits in a nice text config file, just waiting for modification. Some of them are hardcoded in exe / dll files or placed in files compressed with an unknown algorithms. I hardly doubt anybody will be spending countless days on debugging every single one.

The final result will be less than mediocre, which compared to the amount of work you (and I) would have to put in, it's just not worth it.

piltrafus

Re: Widescreen Support - Custom Cropped output

Postby piltrafus » Sat Sep 27, 2014 1:45 am

Zeus wrote:There are too many disadvantages/problems with it:

heavy performance degradation
graphical glitches (games often use output of one frame (or its part) as an input for another (or another part of the same frame), this is true for color and depth buffer

If that's the case then there's no advantage to other methods I've been considering.

Zeus wrote:no distinction between 2d/3d elements which means reposition cannot be done during rendering
FOV also cannot be changed during rendering (Glide API operates on transformed vertices)

That should be done by a mod, not Nglide. I understand it's not possible for most games, However, I already solved it for the one game I care :)

I honestly thought it was easier for a program like nglide to do something like this. I got that impression by using the Softth software. It does exactly what I'm proposing without any performance degradation.
The only problem with it is that is using "directx 9ex" instead of standard dx9, making it incompatible with ENB or other post process engines.

Here it is in case you are interested:
http://www.kegetys.fi/softth/

Well, thanks again for looking into it.

Return to “Suggestions”