Filtered 'Overlays' (HUDs etc.)

New ideas and suggestions.
3dfxer

Filtered 'Overlays' (HUDs etc.)

Postby 3dfxer » Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:54 am

I'm not sure whether overlay is the correct term here, but what I mean are all graphical (2d-)elements that are superimposed over the 3d scene, like HUDs etc. Most (or all) other Glide wrappers apply a bilinear filter or something similar to these elements when using hi-res modes while nglide seems to resize them in with nearest neighbor sampling, which makes them look pixelated.

One might argue that the crisper look of the nearest neighbor filter is the better way, but I think this is a matter of taste. I simply like the filtered but somewhat blurry bilinear filtered effect more.

Maybe this could be made an option in the configuration app.

Zeus
Site Admin

Re: Filtered 'Overlays' (HUDs etc.)

Postby Zeus » Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:14 am

Point sampled filtering is the best possible choice. Bilinear filtering produces serious graphical glitches in many, many games that's why it won't be used.

3dfxer

Postby 3dfxer » Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:54 pm

Not even a remote chance for a tiny little checkbox in the configuration app?

I mean, you could always label this as 'use at own risk', 'highly experimental', 'outright dangerous' or similar, so everybody could decide by themselves whether he/she is willing to activate it. :)

WhiteMagicRaven

Postby WhiteMagicRaven » Thu Nov 25, 2010 2:05 pm

Use it with check box with warning. I think bilinear filtering can work good with GL_ALPHA_TEST + Alpha Func GL_GREATER 0.5. It makes strong cut edges and it work fast and good almost in all cases. Look at epsxe (PlayStation 1 emulator), with Pete's OpenGL plugin. http://www.pbernert.com/html/gpu.htm . It uses same way that i suggested, when force resolution, all 2d overlays scaled bilineary and graphic edges cutted and not transpered that works in almost all cases, fast.
Another way Alpha Blending is better but yes it makes glitches (((

WhiteMagicRaven

Postby WhiteMagicRaven » Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:05 pm

in nglide configurator for future releases it good idea to ad this:

GL_AUTO_MIPMAP_AUTO = Default option game uses what thy wants NEAREST of LINEAR filtering of texture or mipmapping (or no mipmapping if not exist)
GL_AUTO_MIPMAP_NEAREST = force mipmapping to nearest filtering
GL_AUTO_MIPMAP_LINEAR = force mipmapping to linear filtering
GL_NEAREST_MIPMAP_AUTO = Force All textures nearest filtered and mimap untouched
GL_LINEAR_MIPMAP_AUTO = All textures linear filtered and mimap untouched (force)
GL_NEAREST_MIPMAP_NEAREST = Force All textures nearest filtered and mimap nearest
GL_LINEAR_MIPMAP_LINEAR = Force All textures linear filtered and mimap linear (the best choice, i want to use it =) )

(Why? Glide games uses linear and nearest texture filtering to up quality must force use linear etc)
My words is expired from OpenGL but you understand what i means ;) and you can di it for Direct3D too

Second configurator menu:
Anisotropic filtering: 2x, 4x, 8x, 16x (or more dependencies on video card) max = maximum anisotropic available (best quality, want use it 8-) )

Third: (experiemental )

Transperent: Auto; Alpha Test (strong cutted edges 0.5 some games used this method) or ; Alpha Blend (best choice, foce all to alpha blend so games forced to use blending instead alpha test and this is makes better graphic)

Force texture filtering affect "2d overlays too"

Return to “Suggestions”