Widescreen Resolutions with Aspect Ratio Correction

New ideas and suggestions.
3dfxer

Widescreen Resolutions with Aspect Ratio Correction

Postby 3dfxer » Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:44 am

I'm not sure, if this is possible at all, but it would be really great to have support for widescrescreen resolutions with correct aspect ratio.

I would love to play these old 3dfx-games fullscreen on a modern widescreen monitor.

Zeus
Site Admin

Re: Widescreen Resolutions with Aspect Ratio Correction

Postby Zeus » Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:06 am

You can play in widescreen but it's a matter of graphics driver configuration.

See this article:
http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/wi ... rboxing%29

3dfxer

Postby 3dfxer » Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:49 pm

That's not what I meant. The only possible way to play 4:3 games on a widescreen monitor without black bars is by stretching the image, which obviously results in an incorrect aspect ratio. That is what the article describes. Playing an 4:3 game either stretched or with black bars left and right.

What I meant was something different: playing on a widescreen monitor without black bars (pillars), but retaining the correct image aspect ratio. There are two thinkable ways to achive this:

1. the wrapper renders a slightly wider field of view than the game would normally do. This would be the ideal solution, but I highly doubt something like this will be possible at all.

2. much easier, but not as good: the wrapper renders the image at a higher resolution and crops the image at the top and at the bottom. This is achievable with many graphics cards an monitors too, but the problem here is that HUDs are cropped, which makes this idea pretty much unusable for most games. The beauty of a wrapper solution on the other hand would be that HUDs could be superimposed over the already cropped 3d-scene, which would leave them completely visible (although stretched). But this way at least the 3d-scene would be aspect ratio correct.

I'm not a graphics programmer and have very little knowlwdge of direct3d, so I don't know if this is doable, but it doesn't sound impossible to me. Here is what the algorithm would have to do for, let's say a screen resolution of 1920x1200.

1. render the scene at 1920x1440 pixel (4:3) to an offscreen buffer
2. crop the top and bottom of the rendered image by 120 pixel each, resulting in the desired 1920x1200 (16:10) output image
3. render the HUD at 1920x1200 (16:10, stretched) to another offscreen buffer
4. superimpose the HUD over the output image from 2.
5. display the result from 4. on screen.

Zeus
Site Admin

Postby Zeus » Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:16 pm

Thanks. Good solution, but it's only applicable if you're a game developer.
Glide wrapper cannot determine what's HUD and what's not, so pillarboxing is the only
solution. :(

3dfxer

Postby 3dfxer » Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:21 am

I really don't want to bother. And, as I said, I have no experience in programming Glide wrappers, so please excuse if the following question sounds really stupid. :D

Is there really no way? Since you are using point sampling for 2D-HUDs and such, I thought you already have a way of determining what's an overlay and what's not. Or how is that working?

Zeus
Site Admin

Postby Zeus » Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:55 am

please excuse if the following question sounds really stupid

Your question was not stupid.

Is there really no way?

Unfortunately no.

Since you are using point sampling for 2D-HUDs and such, I thought you already have a way of determining what's an overlay and what's not.

Some games uses linear frame buffer writes to draw the HUD, but some renders HUD with triangles/polygons like the rest of the scene. Some games uses linear frame buffer writes to draw some elements in the scene. There are many configurations, so you cannot determine what's HUD/what's scene (you don't know what should be superimposed). That's why it's impossible to implement.

3dfxer

Postby 3dfxer » Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:44 pm

OK. Understood. Too sad :(

Maybe there are more complicated ways, though. Just two fast, not so easy (and maybe impossible) ideas of how it still could work (at least for polygon based UIs):

1. I could think of a way to statistically determine which polygons are used for UI-drawing and which aren't. A bit complicated, but it might work.

At least if, and I admit, that's a big if, polygons have some kind of ID that stays the same from frame to frame. If that would be case, one could filter out polygons that never get clipped regardless of the direction the player looks at or his position in the scene. Polygons that are always visible, most likely belong to the UI.

Even if worked, it would, of course, need some 'profiling' to be done for each individual game, but, hey, what's a community for?

2. Another way could be to check the orientation and/or position of all polygons in the scene in regard to the camera. Polygons that are 100% parallel to the viewing plane should in most cases belong to the UI. Just as the first idea, this would involve some profiling for each game.

Provided one of these for polygon based UIs ideas would work, plus ('manually') determining which games use the LFB for UI-drawing, it would be possible to cover a pretty wide range of games that should work eventually.

This would definietely be no undertaking for a single developer. But if, for example, you were able to provide same sort of profiling app for one of the two ideas above, I'm pretty sure there would be people willing to help. I would.

SF2Ace

Postby SF2Ace » Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:01 pm

Thanks for this great Glide wrapper! Could I ask if it would be possible to add a 16:10 custom resolution of 1728x1080 for a 1920x1080 display users? At the moment I have to use 1680x1050 but it's celarly not a native resolution so I have to deal with upscaling. 1728x1080 would be optimal for my display (I understand you can't do 16:9), since I would make use of a full 1080p vertical resolution without any upscaling. I've just created such custom resolution in Catalyst Control Center and succesfully applied it to my desktop so I know it would work with my system.

Sorry for a long post and Thanks!

Zeus
Site Admin

Postby Zeus » Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:46 pm

3dfxer

I've read your suggestions carefully. It's still impossible. I wish that it would be, but it's not. Sorry. :(

SF2Ace

I will add this resolution to nGlide configurator.

mikevozovsky

Postby mikevozovsky » Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:05 pm

hello
The native resolution of my monitor is 1600:900
is it possible to add this resolution in configurator ?
Thanks for great job

Return to “Suggestions”