Usable Z-Buffer Data

New ideas and suggestions.
3dfxer

Usable Z-Buffer Data

Postby 3dfxer » Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:59 am

Hello Zeus,

I'm writing a Direct3D hook for an upcoming VR-headset called the Oculus Rift that you might or might not have heard of. The hook creates stereoscopic 3D based on a games depth buffer.

It already works great with about 30 D3D9 games, but I can't get it to work fully with nGlide. It works in general, but I'm not able to get a usable Z-buffer. Obviously there is one, I'm able to access it with one of my search heuristics, but it doesn't contain data that is useful for creating stereo images. All I get (with and without linearizing the buffer) is white for extremely distant objects (sky) and black with very few shades in the foreground for everything else. So there is depth information, but obviously encoded in an unusual way. I tried half a dozen of more or less sensible scaling/converting algorithms to get a smooth gradient out of it, but nothing really helped.

Now my only hope is that you might be able to easily provide the Z-buffer data encoded in a way that is more common and thus better suited for my little post processing magic.

Would be great if you could do something about this.

Zeus
Site Admin

Re: Usable Z-Buffer Data

Postby Zeus » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:53 am

Hmm.. interesting idea.

Which native-DX9 and Glide games did you test so far? It would be nice if you could post a screenshots with correct and incorrect z-buffers.

You can also send me your program for testing purposes along with instructions.

Return to “Suggestions”