Nglide for Linux?

New ideas and suggestions.
demetris

Nglide for Linux?

Post by demetris »

Hello,
I dont know how hard it is for you to port over to linux this great plugin, but i thought to ask if possible one day to have it on famous distros like UBUNTU/Fedora/Arch/Debian
Zeus
Site Admin

Re: Nglide for Linux?

Post by Zeus »

What's the point? There are no Glide games for Linux.

Just use Wine.
mangamuscle

Post by mangamuscle »

Zeus wrote:What's the point? There are no Glide games for Linux.

Just use Wine.
Breaking News!!! Direct3D 9.0 Support On Track For Linux's Gallium3D Drivers. There is a wine patch underway that uses said DX9 linux driver. I suppose nGlide could be used in emulation mode, but I think it would be more optimal if it is ported (Ubuntu/Linux Mint are the most popular distributions atm) to run natively. There would be the added bonus that any other emulators (DOSbox, QEMU, vmware, virtualbox) could use it natively.

Just a thought, thanks for reading.
kjliew

Post by kjliew »

Greetings!

Necromancing the old thread. While it did not make sense in the past, things are markedly different for now. Unlike Windows, there is no modern and updated Glide emulation for Linux that supports Glide2x and Glide3x. OpenGlide is long in the tooth and still missing Glide3x. This is seriously limiting the potential of QEMU-KVM for playing DOS/Windows Glide games within the emulation. Since nGlide already has a Vulkan backend, porting nGlide for Linux should be swift, and this will breathe a fresh air into 3Dfx Glide retrogaming for Linux.

QEMU-KVM can run Win98, Win2k and WinXP at near native speed. Given the prize of modern, updated and Linux x64 native Glide emulation, it can run almost all the 3Dfx Glide games at unprecedented CPU/GPU processing power. It is an additional approach of running DOS/Windows games without Wine.
Zeus
Site Admin

Post by Zeus »

Hello kjliew,

yes, this seems like a nice idea, but we would probably not get any (noticeable) performance increase over Wine.

Thanks to Vulkan, Wine doesn't have to emulate anything, it can also passthrough entire VK stuff providing native performance and full rendering accuracy.

... and it's already here: ;)

kjliew

Post by kjliew »

Hi!

That's really amazing!
I am very interested to get a Linux x86_64 native build of libglide2x.so and libglide3x.so with Vulkan backend to check out QEMU-KVM and to achieve parity between QEMU Windows/dgVoodoo2. Let me know if this is something I can help, when it is ready.
Zeus
Site Admin

Post by Zeus »

I plan to start with win32 version. First step will be to test all 400 titles with it to be sure all Glide commands are passed correctly and to know the general state of things. On nGlide's side I plan to implement some improvements to qemu window management and presentation, so wrapper will start in windowed mode by default.
kjliew wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:45 am Let me know if this is something I can help, when it is ready.
Glad to hear it, I don't expect everything will work out of the box even with win32 version (I hope I'm wrong ;)).
Zeus
Site Admin

Post by Zeus »

Zeus wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:52 pm I plan to start with win32 version.
I created a thread for it.