Graphic Quality

New ideas and suggestions.
WhiteMagicRaven

Graphic Quality

Post by WhiteMagicRaven »

I think it would be great to add to nGlide configurator this:

1. Anti Aliasing (last option is "Maximum" that hardware support)
2. Anisotropic Filtering (force nGlide use Trilinear filtering or anisotropic in even glide2x node, "Maximum" last option )
3. Bloom Effect

for nGlide itself:

1. Force Smooth (ignore NEAREST resizing of textures and use LINEAR, it make games looks better, and on new day standarts it make better graphic)
2. Force use Alpha Blending instead of Alpha Test (Alpha test is make strong cutted edges on textures, blending make it smoothed and looks better, even realistic ^.^ )
3. Force Black Clear Color (if game use clear color to avoid flickering it use some clear color for example purple color in heretic2, so it good to force it to black, purple looks painly to eyes, black less seen)
4. Add "GL_EXT_point_parameters" emulation for Heretic2 graphic enhancement.
5. Force use clear, to avoid flickering in space area out of map, geometry where is whole uncontinuos space, fill it with black color insted it copy something from previous frames and make trash on screen.
Zeus
Site Admin

Re: Graphic Quality

Post by Zeus »

I remember your suggestions, WhiteMagicRaven. You don't have to duplicate them. ;)
AnarchoCapitalist

Post by AnarchoCapitalist »

I agree with WhiteMagicRaven. It would be a great idea to do whatever is necessary to smoothen text and transparencies up, to eliminate the shimmering on textures, as well as add an option for MSAA. Nvidia took away the force mipmap features, and for some reason, I can't force AA from the nv cp either. I think all that would be necessary is a checkbox to use alpha blending (instead of alpha testing), trilinear mipmapping (instead of no mipmapping), bilinear filtering (instead of nearest neighbor), and 2/4/8/8q/16/16q AA options for nvidia (2/4/8x MSAA for ATi).

Image quality looks extremely rough compared to a Voodoo2 and especially compared to a voodoo5 with RGSS.

I have faith in zeus software to make nglide enjoyable for me:)
EDIT:
nglide .93 works with nv cp forced AA, although later versions don't. Could Zeus Software look into that? That would be great:)
GTX 780 3 GB
8 GB RAM
Antec 300 Panaflo U1A exhaust
WDBlack500GB, WD 1TB, WD 320GB
Sabertooth P67 B3
W7 x64
Antec Signature 650
Squall Leonhart

Post by Squall Leonhart »

AnarchoCapitalist wrote:I agree with WhiteMagicRaven. It would be a great idea to do whatever is necessary to smoothen text and transparencies up, to eliminate the shimmering on textures, as well as add an option for MSAA. Nvidia took away the force mipmap features, and for some reason, I can't force AA from the nv cp either. I think all that would be necessary is a checkbox to use alpha blending (instead of alpha testing), trilinear mipmapping (instead of no mipmapping), bilinear filtering (instead of nearest neighbor), and 2/4/8/8q/16/16q AA options for nvidia (2/4/8x MSAA for ATi).

Image quality looks extremely rough compared to a Voodoo2 and especially compared to a voodoo5 with RGSS.

EDIT:
nglide .93 works with nv cp forced AA, although later versions don't. Could Zeus Software look into that? That would be great:)
it was taken away because it was misused, it actually reduced mip quality when AF was enabled resulting in more blur.

I suspect the oblivion or batman AA compatibility settings may restore AA support.
AnarchoCapitalist

Post by AnarchoCapitalist »

Squall Leonhart wrote:
AnarchoCapitalist wrote:I agree with WhiteMagicRaven. It would be a great idea to do whatever is necessary to smoothen text and transparencies up, to eliminate the shimmering on textures, as well as add an option for MSAA. Nvidia took away the force mipmap features, and for some reason, I can't force AA from the nv cp either. I think all that would be necessary is a checkbox to use alpha blending (instead of alpha testing), trilinear mipmapping (instead of no mipmapping), bilinear filtering (instead of nearest neighbor), and 2/4/8/8q/16/16q AA options for nvidia (2/4/8x MSAA for ATi).

EDIT:
it was taken away because it was misused, it actually reduced mip quality when AF was enabled resulting in more blur.

I suspect the oblivion or batman AA compatibility settings may restore AA support.
I didn't use AF, just AA. Since the voodoo5 couldn't do AF, I don't really find it necessary to use AF for glide games. I don't mind a slightly blurry image, as long as aliasing is significantly reduced.

Thanks for the advice, I'll try it with nglide .96:)
GTX 780 3 GB
8 GB RAM
Antec 300 Panaflo U1A exhaust
WDBlack500GB, WD 1TB, WD 320GB
Sabertooth P67 B3
W7 x64
Antec Signature 650
Squall Leonhart

Post by Squall Leonhart »

AnarchoCapitalist wrote:
Squall Leonhart wrote:

EDIT:

I didn't use AF, just AA. Since the voodoo5 couldn't do AF, I don't really find it necessary to use AF for glide games. I don't mind a slightly blurry image, as long as aliasing is significantly reduced.

Thanks for the advice, I'll try it with nglide .96:)
AF works on any textures with mip-map information, so glide games will benefit regardless.
Zeus
Site Admin

Post by Zeus »

AnarchoCapitalist wrote:nglide .93 works with nv cp forced AA, although later versions don't
Compatibility with AA will be restored. It's broken by an accident. ;)
midmaestro

Post by midmaestro »

Will officially sponsor the program if dgVoodoo2 features like anti-aliasing and other fine-tuning options consolidated. After hours of testing, nGlide is the only wrapper working for FIFA 98 Series under VMWare Player 12 as of June 5, 2017. Expectations are high for this software to develop further. 8-)
Zeus
Site Admin

Post by Zeus »

Anti aliasing isn't safe. Once enabled it will produce heavy artifacts in many games.