Possibility to force use of Glide?

New ideas and suggestions.
Kingravel

Possibility to force use of Glide?

Postby Kingravel » Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:29 am

Hello,
Great work with Version 0.95! Many of the games I've tested work flawlessly!:)

There are several games, that support Glide and D3D. Some of them have an option to choose which render device to use (for example the unreal-engine games), but some others just choose the default renderer. However, the graphical quality is much better under Glide (mainly because of the annoying 16-bit-dithering issue). So my question: Is there a chance to implement a option under nglide, which allows the program to force the use of Glide instead of the default renderer?

Another short question: Does nglide emulate all features of the original Glide or are there quality losses? I am not sure, but is it possible, that the general filtering of the textures and the "transition" between different textures less "smooth" than under "real" Glide?

Thank you very much for your dedication and your work!:)
Last edited by Kingravel on Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gamecollector

Re: Possibility to force use of Glide?

Postby Gamecollector » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:21 am

Kingravel wrote:some others just choose the default renderer
Examples, please?
Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400 (3-3-3-8),
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
2 Voodoo2 12 MB (SLI), Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).

Kingravel

Postby Kingravel » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:54 am

f.e. Nocturne, Crimson Skies, Incoming, Dark Omen, Forsaken, Nightmare Creatures etc.

Gazeus

Postby Gazeus » Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:27 pm

Yeah this is something I've noticed when testing just recently. A lot of the games that are indeed said to support Glide, you don't even get the option to use it in a lot of game video card options. I thought the whole point of the DLL files installing to the 'C:/Windows/system32' folder was to allow 'Global' support where all possible games could at least detect the presence of Glide. This is not the case.

Zeus
Site Admin

Postby Zeus » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:15 pm

Kingravel wrote:Is there a chance to implement a option under nglide, which allows the program to force the use of Glide instead of the default renderer

It's impossible. Every game is different.

Kingravel wrote:are there quality losses

It's exactly opposite. Good example is 16-bit dithering issue.

Gazeus wrote:I thought the whole point of the DLL files installing to the 'C:/Windows/system32' folder was to allow 'Global' support where all possible games could at least detect the presence of Glide

This is exactly the whole point, but don't think that all games you've played on Voodoo had Glide support.

Kingravel's list is a very good example:
Nocturne, Crimson Skies, Incoming, Dark Omen, Forsaken, Nightmare Creatures etc.

None of them support Glide.

Kingravel

Postby Kingravel » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:37 pm

Thanks for your replies!

Ok, now I understand the problem concerning the mentioned games.

Sorry if I wasn't specific in my question about the quality loss: What I wanted to ask exactly is, if there is a difference between emulated glide and the "real" glide back on my good old voodoo2-card.

Zeus
Site Admin

Postby Zeus » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:31 pm

In general (if not counting glide wrapper bugs), difference is not noticeable, but of course small differences are possible.

What I meant to say about quality loss (dithering issue) was that, color bandings aren't present not because it's Glide API advantage, but because nGlide converts whole scene to 32-bit.

Return to “Suggestions”