Undying Framerate Problems

Report bugs, errors, problems, etc.

Undying Framerate Problems

Postby 3187861770 » Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:54 pm

When playing Undying with nGlide, I seem to be running into inconsistent performance issues.
The game usually runs at a perfect 60 FPS, and I can turn up the MSAA/SGSSAA just fine.
But the framerate will drop very low in some scenes for no apparent reason, even if I disable MSAA and run at a low resolution like 640x480.

This scene in the intro drops to about 20 FPS no matter what settings I use:

My system has a GTX 960 in it and the GPU load is typically so low that it drops into a low power state most of the time, then it jumps to 99% in scenes like this.

Any idea what could be causing it?
It only happens when using Glide, D3D runs perfectly. (and seems to look better? supposedly Glide has better lighting/effects but I haven't noticed any)

Zeus
Site Admin

Re: Undying Framerate Problems

Postby Zeus » Sat Jun 18, 2016 9:39 pm

There is a reason: the game has been coded very inefficiently, that's why it slows down in the intro scene. Thankfully the gameplay isn't affected. Nothing to worry about really.

Gamecollector

Postby Gamecollector » Sat Jun 18, 2016 9:54 pm

Known glitch.
Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400 (3-3-3-8),
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
2 Voodoo2 12 MB (SLI), Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).

Postby 3187861770 » Sat Jun 18, 2016 11:53 pm

Zeus wrote:There is a reason: the game has been coded very inefficiently, that's why it slows down in the intro scene. Thankfully the gameplay isn't affected. Nothing to worry about really.
It's been happening all the time for me when more than two enemies appear on-screen at once, which really hurts the gameplay.
It just gets particularly bad in the intro because there are six character models in that scene.

Does anyone know what the differences are supposed to be between D3D and Glide in Undying?

The only comparison I've found is this, with the claim that Glide has "better lighting" and "more light sources".
But that just looks like gamma/"brightness" differences to me.
If you don't set up the correct compatibility mode on newer versions of Windows, the brightness control doesn't work in D3D and the game appears very dark.

With that fixed, this is what I'm seeing at the default brightness:
Virtually no difference between them.

And Direct3D supports 32-bit color while a lot of the Glide effects render in 16-bit and look really bad.

Has this mistakenly been considered to be "better in Glide" due to D3D not being set up right, and/or being really demanding to run in D3D back in the day?
I remember original Unreal Engine games running really poorly on D3D hardware back then, compared to Glide.

I've played through quite a few hours of the game now and any time I've switched between the two renderers it's either been no different (the really ugly fog banding) or D3D has been better. (most other transparency effects, shadows working correctly etc.)

vech32

Postby vech32 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:02 pm

3187861770 wrote:If you don't set up the correct compatibility mode on newer versions of Windows, the brightness control doesn't work in D3D and the game appears very dark.

How exactly do you set up the game for working brightness control? Does it help to other games as well?

Postby 3187861770 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:18 am

vech32 wrote:
3187861770 wrote:If you don't set up the correct compatibility mode on newer versions of Windows, the brightness control doesn't work in D3D and the game appears very dark.

How exactly do you set up the game for working brightness control? Does it help to other games as well?

1. Download and install Microsoft's Application Compatibility Toolkit, which is a part of the Windows ADK. (all you need to install is ACT)
  2. Run the "Compatibility Administrator (32-bit)" tool that was installed.
  3. Click the button at the top of the window and create a new Application Fix.
  4. Skip the Compatibility Modes section (for the GOG version of Undying, at least).
  5. Under Compatibility Fixes, select "DXPrimaryEmulation".
  6. Set the parameters for DXPrimaryEmulation to: -DisableMaxWindowedMode
  7. Leave "Matching Information" empty. Here, you can select attributes so that the fix does not just apply to all executables named "Undying.exe" but only ones which match specific attributes. Some executables include things like a version number, which may be a good thing to select for example.
  8. Save your database file somewhere. I'd recommend either keeping it with the executable, or creating a folder for all your SDB files.
  9. Right-click the database in the list and install it.

Now the brightness control should be working.
This is also supposed to improve performance, but it seems like that may only be an issue on Windows 8 and not Windows 10. Or perhaps it depends on the game.
However it does restore V-Sync control to the GPU drivers, instead of being forced on.
That's probably not something you want to change in Undying though, as Unreal Engine 1 games have their speed affected by framerate - however it may be something that makes a difference if you have a G-Sync monitor.

The fix is not exclusive to Undying and should work with many older DirectX games on newer versions of Windows.
If you use Afterburner for FPS monitoring the API shows up as "DD" for these games instead of "D3D9" etc.
However, specifically with Undying, I find that when quitting the game it will sometimes leave an after-image of the game on-screen for some reason when this fix is installed and I have to hit CTRL-ALT-DEL and then ESC to clear it.

These fixes can be removed by going to the "Installed Databases" section, right-clicking one, and selecting Uninstall.

vech32

Postby vech32 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:36 pm

Thanks!

Return to “Problems”