Sub Culture Game running slower/faster depending on CPU frequency + nGlide 1.05 mouse trap regression (on multi monitor)

Report bugs, errors, problems, etc.
rkk

Sub Culture Game running slower/faster depending on CPU frequency + nGlide 1.05 mouse trap regression (on multi monitor)

Postby rkk » Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:03 am

Hi,
-Issue 1: This affects nGlide 1.04 (maybe some before, too) (Cannot tell about 1.05 as mouse looses focus on the game.. issue 2)

I had some infrequent issues with Subculture (From Ubisoft). Most of the time it runs well. I usually run it without any compatibility modes and it runs perfectly.

But from time to time it happens that some parts of the game get tied to the CPU frequency. The higher the CPU frequency.. the slower the game. So at 3GHz the game runs slow like hell.. But when I lock my CPU to 798.17 MHz then the game runs even quicker than it should. Somehow some parts of the game like Bubbles and other stuff flying arround are running at the correct speed but other stuff like the main character (submarine) and other NPC submarines are running in slow-mo/turbo.

Compatibility mode doesn't seem to help.
Restarting the PC (Not just the game) seems to fix this issue most of the time.
This issue happens randomly and is rather unfrequent but I would like to know if this is usual on old games.. if there is any way to fix this or some technical background of what is causing that behaviour.

-Issue 2: This issue seems to happen only when you have a multi-monitor setup.
nGlide 1.05 seems to have some kind of regression bug or something with Sub Culture where the mouse is not trapped correctly inside of the game, resulting in any klick of the mouse minimizing and loosing focus on the game. I can even see and move my mouse to the second monitor while I'm still in-game. It's even worse, the mouse instead of being trapped inside of the game window, it is trapped outside, making it impossible to navigate in the menu of the game nor click anything.

Swapping to nGlide 1.04 seems to fix this issue. But I noticed that using Windows 98 compatibility mode seems to have the same issue happen even on 1.04. Windows XP and newer compatibility modes seem to work correctly again.

Again using nGlide 1.05 and setting the game to Windows XP compatibility mode doesn't seems to fix the issue nor disabling any compatibility modes. Looks like nGlide sets the game to Windows 98 compatibility mode you want it or not.

EDIT: nGlide 1.05 with single monitor setup seems to be working fine too.

Both issues don't seem to be trivial as the game runs well on nGlide 1.04 and the timing issue is not happening too frequently. Though it would be nice to get it fixed or at least give some input about it.

Thanks and greetings.

Zeus
Site Admin

Re: Sub Culture Game running slower/faster depending on CPU frequency + nGlide 1.05 mouse trap regression (on multi moni

Postby Zeus » Fri Feb 26, 2016 4:07 pm

rkk wrote:So at 3GHz the game runs slow like hell.. But when I lock my CPU to 798.17 MHz then the game runs even quicker than it should.

Perhaps it's a RDTSC timing issue. Ubi games are known for using it.

rkk wrote:This issue happens randomly and is rather unfrequent but I would like to know if this is usual on old games..

Most older games work properly. It depends what timing method has been implemented, some of the timers are no longer accurate with modern CPUs.

rkk wrote:the mouse is not trapped correctly inside of the game, resulting in any klick of the mouse minimizing and loosing focus on the game. I can even see and move my mouse to the second monitor while I'm still in-game.

Is it okay after restoring minimized window by pressing Alt+Tab? You can also try to press Alt+Enter twice after that.

rkk wrote:Looks like nGlide sets the game to Windows 98 compatibility mode you want it or not.

No, nGlide doesn't set compat modes.

rkk

Re: Sub Culture Game running slower/faster depending on CPU frequency + nGlide 1.05 mouse trap regression (on multi moni

Postby rkk » Fri Feb 26, 2016 6:53 pm

Hi,
I minimized the game, ALT+TABbed back to it but the mouse was still trapped outside (On the other screen). It looks like every time I move the mouse towards the game window it gets teletransported back to my secondary screen.

ALT+TABbing and then pressing ALT+ENTER twice has still the same issue. ALT+ENTER twice doesn't seem to do anything.

I tried an app called "Cursor Lock" from here: http://www.snakebytestudios.com/project ... rsor-lock/
Setting the "Lock Region" to "Window Interior" seems to fix the issue and the mouse stays inside of the window and I can navigate the game menu without any issues.

I wonder if a mouse locking behaviour could be implemented into nGlide like the one from that app. I guess all the Glide games expect the mouse to stay inside.

Right now I could observe this behaviour just in Sub Culture. But I have barely 3 or 4 Glide games.

Zeus
Site Admin

Postby Zeus » Sat Feb 27, 2016 1:35 am

I didn't ask earlier but I may need your OS version and PC specs.

rkk

Postby rkk » Sat Feb 27, 2016 1:46 am

Windows 10 - 64bit - On a Notebook
Dual Monitor Setup: TV + Notebook Display
CPU: Intel i7 4710MQ
GPU: Intel HD 3000 (It's a Nvidia-Optimus notebook but I just use the integrated GPU for Nglide)
RAM: 12GB
Lates GPU drivers of Intel and Nvidia installed.

Don't know what else..?

Return to “Problems”