Carmageddon 2: Music doesn't play after patching

Report bugs, errors, problems, etc.
Zeus
Site Admin

Re: Carmageddon 2: Music doesn't play after patching

Postby Zeus » Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:53 pm

Oh, while you're here Tosh...

As you may know nGlide 1.05 will allow to render Glide games at custom resolutions. You probably heard about VEG's patch for NFS3 and yesterday drennan announced it will be publishing a similar patch for Undying.

You guys are pretty good at modding C2, have you thought about making a native widescreen patch for it?
The change on the Glide API part is pretty trivial. The question is, would you be able to change FOV in the game and reposition HUD elements (including map)?
That would obviously require some reverse engineering skills but maybe you have somebody in your community willing to make it?

BrainRipper

Postby BrainRipper » Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:23 pm

Toshiba-3 wrote:Doing a distinction nowadays between US and UK blood versions just because of localisation (a few words here an there if I understand correctly)...

???
BrainRipper wrote:Besides, the American version differs from British in that at the lowest level of complexity more time in missions is given.

Also some (but not all) differences in the text:
Turbo Nutter Bastard Nitrous!
mEGA Turbo Nitrus!

Oil slicks from your arse!
Oil slick SHITTING ABILITY!

Piss-artist pedestrians!
DRUNK pedestrians!

Drink Driving
DrUnk Driving

4,21,BOTH_BUGGERED
4,21,BOTH_WASTED

SOILING & SHREDDIES
SOILING & SHORTS

KNOCKED FOR SIX
KNOCKED SILLY

STUFFED!
SIX FEET UNDER!

DUNE BUGGERED
sand doomed

FASTER THAN A SPEEDING BULLOCK (JUST). WATCH THEM BALE OUT WHEN YOU HIT THE ROAD IN THIS.
FRESH OFF THE FARM. WATCH THEM BALE OUT WHEN YOU HIT THE ROAD IN THIS.

Toshiba-3

Postby Toshiba-3 » Tue Jan 19, 2016 12:35 pm

More importantly about the v3 patch, I forgot to mention that it features a lot of larger textures taken from the dev build, as well as a touched-up Eagle 3 model to accomodate the fact that the game runs at a much higher resolution than originaly intended and thus uvw seams are more visible.
Here are some examples:
http://www.toshiba-3.com/temp/differences.jpg
http://www.toshiba-3.com/temp/comparison.png

@ Zeus: We did a widescreen patch for the C2 software mode, but for the glide renderer it was embedded in that horrible BRender format. However from what I understand, only HUD elements have to be handled? (and by map you mean the onscreen minimap?)
Does the out of place HUD scale proportionaly accross 16:9 resolutions or would we have to dynamicaly replace each element and fix the fov based on the glide enforced resolution? Would be much easier if it scales and would involve less RE :)
FOV can be changed in DATA\General.txt ('hithers').
HUD elements are defined in DATA\64X48X8\HEADUP.TXT and DATA\CARS\64X48X8\eagle3.txt (lot of unused leftovers from C1).

@BrainRipper: That's what I mean indeed. Just look at it, those are just petty changes made/required by the publisher to 'accomodate' the NA audience :/
Image / carmageddon add-ons at road reaction

BrainRipper

Postby BrainRipper » Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:15 pm

Earlier users installed patches the corresponding their versions of game and thus there were no problems. In 15 years the people grew stupid? :D

Toshiba-3

Postby Toshiba-3 » Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:49 am

Two things:

Back then, most people weren't properly aware of the patches, didn't know which release they had, nor which version. Patches weren't properly introduced, SCi even rereleased the v1.1 patch as the "XP-Vista patch" in 2003, years after v2. And that confusion even amongst the community. Carmafans only started patching to v2 because of the increased limits (required for modding) and... glide wrappers (avoids mouse trapped in a box without compatibility settings). So your assumptions aren't correct on that end. I can tell as that confusion still exists today.

Secondly, after 15 years people didn't grow stupid: their habits changed. This isn't 2001 anymore and games are both ready to play at install, and also deliver patches automaticaly. Just look at GOG, Their products are as user-friendly as possible, they won't ask you to check your hardware and install this or that patch/piece of software accordingly. Same with Steam: you install and play. So-so old game releases on Steam (like C1/C2 which aren't maintained, or the id games in Dosbox) make a lot of users angry because that is not what they expect anymore.

What would be stupid is to take decisions around a product without taking into account the experience and point-of-vue of the average end-user, and only base said decisions on your own.

People who need nGlide to play C2 have no clue which release/version they have as they got it online as a pack/torrent (Steam/GOG already have nGlide, and it's difficult to install from the original CD). They don't know which patch they have to install if any. They want to play and the whole idea is to make it possible, quick and easy.

BrainRipper

Postby BrainRipper » Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:44 pm

Toshiba-3 wrote:Back then, most people weren't properly aware of the patches, didn't know which release they had, nor which version. Patches weren't properly introduced, SCi even rereleased the v1.1 patch as the "XP-Vista patch" in 2003, years after v2.

There is nothing illogical that the patch with the removed protection was republished after the others.
The patch V2 with the removed protection appeared still later.
Toshiba-3 wrote:People who need nGlide to play C2 have no clue which release/version they have as they got it online as a pack/torrent (Steam/GOG already have nGlide, and it's difficult to install from the original CD). They don't know which patch they have to install if any.

I will write the instruction according to which users will be able to identify the version and to put the correct patch.
Toshiba-3 wrote:Secondly, after 15 years people didn't grow stupid: their habits changed.

Means, they should change habits and at least once in life to strain a brain and to read the instruction. :lol:

Zeus
Site Admin

Postby Zeus » Sat Jan 23, 2016 4:12 am

Toshiba-3 wrote:widescreen

There are two ways to achieve the goal: all dynamic with minimal interference with assets (all resolutions available in the system could be supported),

or.. by duplicating assets for each resolution with minimal work on code (this could work for a limited number of supported resolutions (let's say 2 or 3 for each aspect ratio)).

Toshiba-3 wrote:Would be much easier if it scales and would involve less RE

Everything has to be rescaled before sending to Glide. Target API cannot assist that process.
And that's actually a good thing, we want native rendering this time.

Toshiba-3 wrote:(and by map you mean the onscreen minimap?)

Both maps, mini and full.

Toshiba-3

Postby Toshiba-3 » Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:00 am

Sorry for my late reaction. I was a bit confused TBH. I thought nGlide 1.05 was supposed to widen the game resolution all by itself without stretching but for UI/HUD elements which then had to be resized somehow. But I understand even the base res has to be patched. Sadly that's above my meager skills and I couldn't get anyone motivated in the #carma irc chat :?

Zeus
Site Admin

Postby Zeus » Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:28 am

Toshiba-3 wrote:I thought nGlide 1.05 was supposed to widen the game resolution all by itself without stretching but for UI/HUD elements which then had to be resized somehow. But I understand even the base res has to be patched.

It's impossible to change FOV on the wrapper's side, that is why it has to be patched too (along with HUD elements).

Toshiba-3 wrote:I couldn't get anyone motivated in the #carma irc chat :?

Well, at least you tried... :)

Damn, if only I had more free time...

Return to “Problems”