No sprite filtering in Carmageddon

Report bugs, errors, problems, etc.
Binary Bob

No sprite filtering in Carmageddon

Postby Binary Bob » Thu Jun 18, 2015 4:13 pm

Is it normal to have sprites remain unfiltered in both Carmageddon and it's official expansion Splat Pack? I have tried both the standard 3dfx exe as well as the alpha Voodoo2 version, even in vrush mode, but it all looks the same.

Other now deprecated glide wrappers actually filtered sprites, but it could be that sprite filtering was forced and not native to the game, which happens a lot in emulators.

Just asking, because it would be neat if this could be enabled in nGlide.

Regards.

Zeus
Site Admin

Re: No sprite filtering in Carmageddon

Postby Zeus » Sun Jun 21, 2015 1:16 am

Yes, that's completely normal, the game was designed this way.

Usually it's not a good practice to force the game using different modes than it was designed for.

Here's an example of another Glide API game, Pandemonium.

Original (point sampled):
p1a.jpg
p1a.jpg (179.6 KiB) Viewed 2107 times

After receiving "special bilinear treatment":
p2a.jpg
p2a.jpg (125.08 KiB) Viewed 2107 times

So as you see, something that was supposed to improve graphics quality, turned the game into nasty grid like pattern mess.

That's why I'm not fond of adding feature like this. For the very same reason you won't find antialiasing option in nGlide configurator. If you're curious what happens after forcing AA, force it in your diplay driver panel, launch
Need For Speed 3 in Glide mode and look at the trees.

prempink

Postby prempink » Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:48 am

Zeus wrote:Yes, that's completely normal, the game was designed this way.

Usually it's not a good practice to force the game using different modes than it was designed for.

Here's an example of another Glide API game, Pandemonium.

Original (point sampled):
p1a.jpg

After receiving "special bilinear treatment":
p2a.jpg

So as you see, something that was supposed to improve graphics quality, turned the game into nasty grid like pattern mess.

That's why I'm not fond of adding feature like this. For the very same reason you won't find antialiasing option in nGlide configurator. If you're curious what happens after forcing AA, force it in your diplay driver panel, launch
Need For Speed 3 in Glide mode and look at the trees.

Original looks like using direct draw than direct 3D

Gamecollector

Postby Gamecollector » Sun Jun 21, 2015 12:48 pm

prempink wrote:Original looks like using direct draw than direct 3D

Well, main detectors for a 3dfx version are transparent smoke and shadows. And extra FPS.
Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400 (3-3-3-8),
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
2 Voodoo2 12 MB (SLI), Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).

Binary Bob

Postby Binary Bob » Tue Jun 23, 2015 1:07 am

Alright, thanks for the response.

I'm certainly not going to try and push it one way or the other because it's your emulator, your time, your effort and your rightful desire to stick to standard practices in order to prevent potential, unnecessary artifacts, yet I beg you to consider that a lot of games simply don't exhibit this problem, and sprite filtering can be forced on them without expectation of malfunction.

I remember the older staple wrappers like dgVoodo and Glidos being able to pull this trick off quite nicely because the video cards from that time period (Pre-Geforce6) had native paletted texture support (that on top of luck, for obviously not all games can handle it) so Carmageddon's sprites looked just as good as say, Blood's or Shadow Warrior's. Nor grids, not weird outlines or postage stamp edges. Just plain and proper alpha blending.

It goes without saying that the implementation of a feature such as this, would be best left as an user option with an adequate warning upon enabling. Having forced sprite filtering always on would be a very, very bad idea, no question about it, exactly as the AA example you've provided.

Regards.

Zeus
Site Admin

Postby Zeus » Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:39 pm

If you need this feature so badly I'm suggesting using one of d3d injectors. They will allow you to change not only texture filtering, but also to apply many effects like Bloom or Ambient occlusion (in case you'll be interested).

Simply extract all the files into DOSBox directory (DOS games) or into game directory (Windows games).

c1.jpg
c1.jpg (86.83 KiB) Viewed 2057 times
Attachments
enbseries.zip
ENB with forced filtering enabled
(671.51 KiB) Downloaded 247 times

Return to “Problems”