Project64 with Glide64 plugin (Perfect Dark)

Report bugs, errors, problems, etc.
Dammydam

Project64 with Glide64 plugin (Perfect Dark)

Postby Dammydam » Sun Jun 14, 2015 7:27 pm

There are certain parts in the game that have massive slow downs compared to the original glide64 wrapper. Camspy, night vision googles, G5 Building: Reconnaissance ( cloaking enemies) and some cut scenes.

Regards David

Zeus
Site Admin

Re: Project64 with Glide64 plugin (Perfect Dark)

Postby Zeus » Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:46 pm

Your PC specs, OS and nGlide version+settings could be useful.

Dammydam

Postby Dammydam » Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:52 am

Sorry for the lack of details Zeus.

System Information
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
I3-2100 CPU @ 3.10GHz
AMD HD6850
8GB memory

Nglide am not touching the setting other than changing the resolution. I've tried versions 1.02,1.03,104 which all exhibit the same slowdowns. The main culprit is the cloaking enemies which drag the frame rate down to single digits at some points. Using the x-ray/infra goggles the slowdowns aren't as bad and intro movies to the levels suffer from slowdown.

Using the original glide wrapper from Project64 there are no slowdowns.

kumijorma

Postby kumijorma » Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:24 pm

I assume that you are using Project64 1.6, as it still might work the best for Perfect Dark.

I get good performance with Project 64 1.6, Glide64 (Final) and nGlide 1.03. Your rig is about as powerful as mine.

(You know this, but to all others who haven't noticed: remove or rename glide3x.dll in PJ64 root directory to apply nGlide as default wrapper for Project64.)

The trick for getting better performance and best image quality with nGlide, even with Prefect Dark is to use native resolution on nGlide and, this is important: lowest resolution on Glide64-panel (640x480). (Don't worry, nGlide handles the scaling for you!) You can even turn on "Software depth buffer rendering" and "Buffer clear on every frame" to enable the blur-effect without slowdowns.

About nGlide 1.04 and 1.05:

- nGlide 1.04 is completely broken with Glide64.

- nGlide 1.05 works with Glide64, but if you are using it together with TriDef 3D, you will get "plugin not found" -error. That's the only regression I've found from the newest version of nGlide. If you are using Project64 2.2, it will surprisingly work, with nGlide 1.05 + TriDef 3D -combination, but as we know: some games are not compatible with Project64 2.2.

There are also other things to check as well:

- If you are using Project64 2.2, you may need to copy the lines for Perfect Dark from Project64.rdb to Project64.cfg. (All games don't need this, though. TenEighty is at least one of the games that require this little fix.)

- You may also like to try setting Counter Factor (CF) = 1 for Perfect Dark if you already haven't. It may give you more speed, but the downside is that it may cause more crashes to the game.

EDIT 1:

Here's a trick for those who still use nGlide 1.03 or older and wish to enable widescreen-support automatically without using environment variables introduced in nGlide 1.04:

Make a batch-file (*.bat) with following lines (change paths for your own needs):

@echo off
REM set NGLIDE_ASPECT=0
reg add "HKCU\Software\Zeus Software\nGlide" /v "Aspect" /d "0" /f >nul
start "" /wait "C:\Emulators\Project64 1.6\Project64.exe" D:\Applications\Games\N64\Perfect Dark.z64
reg add "HKCU\Software\Zeus Software\nGlide" /v "Aspect" /d "1" /f >nul

EDIT 2:

I noticed the speed difference between Glide64's own wrapper and nGlide after running some tests:

It was CPU-usage that differed. Here are the results (approximately):

- Glide64's own wrapper: about 50 % during cloaked enemies at G5 building
- nGlide: about 100 % during cloaked enemies at G5 building

Both tests were runned at 640x480. Both wrappers used 1 thread.

As a final suggestion, using low resolution (640x480) for nGlide, too, may help a little, but it may not completely solve the speed issues.

Return to “Problems”