No texture filtering in Pandemonium! with nGlide 0.98

Report bugs, errors, problems, etc.
Malcolm

No texture filtering in Pandemonium! with nGlide 0.98

Post by Malcolm » Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:36 am

First, thank you so much, for this greatest Glide Wrapper!

I just have just one suggestion, or to me a wish. Is it possible for you to implement some bilinear filtering on textures in your next version of nGlide for Pandemonium 1?

Here's screenshot from nGlide 0.98
nGlide 0.98.jpg
nGlide 0.98.jpg (179.6 KiB) Viewed 10307 times
The performance are great and everything else works perfect, just no texture filtering on map objects.

...and here's screenshot from dgVoodoo
dgVoodoo.jpg
dgVoodoo.jpg (125.08 KiB) Viewed 10307 times
There is texture filtering, but everything else is bad, performance, black lines on textures...

Thanks in advance!

Zeus
Site Admin

Re: No texture filtering in Pandemonium! with nGlide 0.98

Post by Zeus » Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:13 am

Hi Malcolm.

Great comparision. It shows exactly why wrapping accuracy matters and why breaking accuracy rules is not a good idea.

Pandemonium 1 wasn't designed to use bilinear filtering. It was designed to look like the Screenshot #1. Of course you may say I don't like it. There you go - you have bilinear filtering and a lot of glitches (squares and black lines) on Screenshot #2. And it's not just dgVoodoo issue, simply there is no possibility to have bilinear filtering without glitches if the game wasn't designed to work with this type of filtering.

You have 3 options then: live with glitches, disable forcing BF in dgVoodoo (if possible) or stick with nGlide.
Hope that helps.

WhiteMagicRaven

Post by WhiteMagicRaven » Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:56 am

Or make please what i suggested add to nGlide configurator checkbox "Force Smooth Textures" that will force use bilinear for all textures, so user will choice use original or use all bilinear filtered textures on some games it useful.
Also did you remember of all my suggestions? ((
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=114#p449

Zeus
Site Admin

Post by Zeus » Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:11 pm

WhiteMagicRaven wrote:Or make please what i suggested add to nGlide configurator checkbox "Force Smooth Textures" that will force use bilinear for all textures, so user will choice use original or use all bilinear filtered textures on some games it useful.
.. and games will start looking like on Screenshot #2. Sorry, no one needs that. Until there's no good solution to force BF, it's not gonna happen.
WhiteMagicRaven wrote:Also did you remember of all my suggestions? ((
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=114#p449
Yes, but adding 10 new options to configurator still doesn't resolve glitches problem. If you fix a TR's rocks, you'll break other objects.

WhiteMagicRaven

Post by WhiteMagicRaven » Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:18 pm

ok understand how about long waiting feature:
force bilinear filtering
force trilinear filtering
force anisoltropy filtering up to 16x level
?
force antialiasing ?
bilinear texture filtering can be enabled on configurator with warning that it will cause bad image quality in some games in heretic 2 it will work greatly since all is square 2d graphic no alpha or curved edges, all strong and it will enhance graphic very much.

Or make in nGlide configuration button "Advanced Settings" where stored all experiemental settings?

Did you seen how GliDOS work for tomb rider, it turns on all what i suggest every time here, and produce very amazing graphic without any glithes.
Sorry ((((((((

WhiteMagicRaven

Post by WhiteMagicRaven » Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:19 pm

Just try to experiement, so all others can experiement with these settings and might faster help with new ideas how to fix it.

aub84

Post by aub84 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:17 pm

Actually, Pandemonium on psx emulator (epsxe) has better graphics than pc version.
It's a bit strange not to include texture filtering with 3dfx voodoo :?:

PSX:

PC:

Zeus
Site Admin

Post by Zeus » Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:02 pm

aub84 wrote:It's a bit strange not to include texture filtering with 3dfx voodoo :?:
It's not about inclusion or anything like that. Read my previous posts with understanding.

nGlide uses bilinear if a game requests it. This game requests for point sampled filtering, so nGlide "kindly" fulfills it.

aub84

Post by aub84 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:50 pm

Zeus wrote:
aub84 wrote:It's a bit strange not to include texture filtering with 3dfx voodoo :?:
It's not about inclusion or anything like that. Read my previous posts with understanding.

nGlide uses bilinear if a game requests it. This game requests for point sampled filtering, so nGlide "kindly" fulfills it.
Ok, I understand, but I just wanted to say that Pandemonium is a very poor glide game. 3dfx voodoo graphics were powerful enough to do texture filtering in a game like Pandemonium.

I heard that someone wanted more color and bloom effects:

Pandemonium with nglide & FXAA inject tool (dx9):

Image Image Image Image

it's something ; )

By the way, anyone know how to fix the videos (not seen in 3dfx version)? It also happens to me sometimes the music is cut.

PD: Sorry for muy english : P

aub84

Post by aub84 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:02 pm

By the way, anyone know how to fix the videos (not seen in 3dfx version)?
With dgvoodoo is OK!