nGlide problems with Lands of Lore 3

Report bugs, errors, problems, etc.
90sgamer

nGlide problems with Lands of Lore 3

Post by 90sgamer »

I have been using nGlide for a while now to run several older glide-based games. One in particular has some significant problems, although it is supported and listed as “Playable”. Lands of Lore 3 (1999) by Westwood Studios runs well (nGlide is the ONLY way I have found to run it without constant crashing) however, it experiences significant graphical artifacts on both of my computers with all drivers I have tried (with all compatibility modes, and the patch on your site for the game as well). Here are my specs:

Computer 1 (Custom Built Desktop):

Windows XP 32bit SP3 (fully updated)
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400
Nvidia 780i SLI Motherboard
Nvidia Geforce 9800GTX Graphics Card (Driver versions: 182.50, 280.26, 285.58)
4GB DDR2

Computer 2 (HP Dv2 Laptop):

Windows 7 64bit SP1 (fully updated)
AMD Neo MV-40 1.6Ghz
HP Proprietary AMD Motherboard
AMD Radeon HD 3410 (Driver version 11.9)
4GB DDR2

The graphical glitches are exactly the same on both computers. Since the problems persisted across different OSes, graphics card vendors, and drivers, I assume the problem can only be the nGlide wrapper. Some of the glitches include: wrong sky lighting, black boxes around ALL animated objects/enemies/NPCs, and transparent textures (particularly in the Gladstone keep). I also receive an error message occasionally when loading a game - “not enough video RAM”. However, the game loads fine anyways.

DirectX
Directx with info.jpg
Directx with info.jpg (223.69 KiB) Viewed 4748 times
nGlide
nGlide 97 with info.jpg
nGlide 97 with info.jpg (225.49 KiB) Viewed 4748 times
There is also some crackling in the audio, but this is probably just low quality original sources.

In game videos, stability, and gameplay is unaffected by these problems. I know there is a patch "options.ini" for Lands of Lore 3 in the compatibility list, however, this does not seem to have an effect other than to set the gamma so high that the game is completely washed out.

Reading in the here in the forums, I saw that Lands of Lore 2 (for DOS) had similar black boxes around objects, however this was fixed. I believe LOL3 and LOL2 share the same engine, so some fixes might carry over. I know Lands of Lore 3 isn't as popular, but I love this game, and if there is some kind of fix, or a new version coming out that might fix this, I was wondering if anyone could let me know!

Thank you very much!
90sgamer
Zeus
Site Admin

Re: nGlide problems with Lands of Lore 3

Post by Zeus »

Thank you for perfect bug submission post.

All bugs will be fixed in the next release (0.98). :)
90sgamer

Re: nGlide problems with Lands of Lore 3

Post by 90sgamer »

Awesome! Thanks Zeus, I can't wait! All the other glide wrappers I have tried are far less stable than nGlide and are no longer in development! Thanks for the program, and thanks for offering it to us for free! :D