Uprising: Join or Die (1997)

Report bugs, errors, problems, etc.
TiMN8R

Re: Uprising: Join or Die (1997)

Post by TiMN8R »

Gamecollector wrote: AFAIK, this notebook uses Nvidia 9400M G as the chipset and IDT 92hd73c codec.
There are Xp drivers for both...
Yes, that's correct, that's my chipset and audio device, but I've gone through about 40 different driver versions for 92XX devices, and all of them reported as failing to start up. ...that was for Windows XP in Oracle VMBox... Sadly, I can't seem to get anything working. :/ I have Windows 98, also, but found out that there are no Guest Additions for it. It's locked to 640x480 in a tiny box.. Meh.
Gamecollector

Post by Gamecollector »

VirtualBox? Why? Just install Xp as the second OS, without emulators.
ASUS P4P800 SE, Pentium4 3.2E/2 GiB DDR400 (3-3-3-8), Sapphire Radeon HD3850 AGP, 2 Voodoo2 12 MB (SLI), Audigy 2 ZS.
Windows XP SP3 Pro Rus (w/o the POSReady hack), Catalyst 14.4, Voodoo2 W2k 1.02.00 drivers.
TiMN8R

Post by TiMN8R »

Gamecollector wrote:VirtualBox? Why? Just install Xp as the second OS, without emulators.
I've done that, too. VMBox is the only place I can make sound work, since it emulates a different hardware that XP has generic drivers for. Like I've been saying, there are no working drivers that I've found for XP as a host.
Squall Leonhart

Post by Squall Leonhart »

Gamecollector wrote:VirtualBox? Why? Just install Xp as the second OS, without emulators.
why leave windows 7 when you don't have to.
Squall Leonhart

Post by Squall Leonhart »

TiMN8R wrote:would you agree that it seems the blame belongs to the graphics hardware/driver, not necessarily Win7? If that's the case, would a VM interfacing between hardware and nGlide really help at all? Seems like that might just make it even more prone to failure..

~TiMN8R
i wouldn't. because the driver isn't where the hang/discolouration occurs when it occurs
and the discolouration is rectified by killing windows processes (explorer / csrss)
DustySkunk

Post by DustySkunk »

Hi all,

I'm so sorry to necro this thread so badly (a four year old thread... ouch) but I felt it was necessary. When you Google "Uprising Join or Die black menu" this is the first result so I wanted to make sure to get the word out because this is one of the best games ever made IMO and I know there are people in this community that will appreciate this. This may be my first post here but I've been around.

I've been trying for weeks now to get this game running on my Win 8.1 x64 bit machine and I've FINALLY managed to do it with complete functionality thanks to nGlide, a trick for bypassing the old Installshield and an application that fixes directdraw. Here are the complete steps I took:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Step 1:
Copy the CD to a folder on your hard drive. Windows 8.1 makes this easy: you can literally right click on your DVD drive and select copy.

Step 2:
In order to install cleanly on a 64bit machine, you need to change the Installshield launcher version to 32bit. Sounds crazy but it's actually possible. The short version of the story is that around the time Uprising was released, Installshield was 32bit but the launcher ("Setup.exe") was a 16bit application. There's a good writeup here:

http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=32204

You can actually drag and drop any 32bit Installshield "Setup.exe" and replace the one on the Uprising CD with it. If you don't have one handy from another old(ish) game you can find one on the web or get it here:

http://toastytech.com/files/setup.html
(note that you want the ie5launcher.zip for Uprising, not the 3 version)

Direct download link
http://toastytech.com/files/Is5Launcher.zip

Step 3:
If you don't have nGlide installed, now is the time to do it.

Step 4:
Run "Setup.exe" from the copied Uprising folder on your hard drive. Make it a custom installation and when asked, say that "Yes I do have one of those 3DFx thingies" [sic]

Step 5:
I'm not sure if this is necessary or not, but I run the installer for DirectX 5 as well as made sure I had installed DirectX 9.0c.

Step 6:
This is where it gets interesting. There is an application called the "DirectDraw Compatibility Tool." This thing is a godsend.

Threads discussing the tool:
http://www.old-games.ru/forum/showthread.php?t=42704
http://steamcommunity.com/app/38400/dis ... 613303699/

Direct download link
http://www.old-games.ru/forum/attachmen ... 1285529788

When you run the utility you are asked to give it the path to the target executable you want. Give it the path to your "uprising.exe" and click "Create reg-file" which then puts a regedit file into the directory you specified. Double click on the file to add it to your registry. Note that it might be a good idea to backup your registry before making any changes to it.

Step 7:
Now run Uprising. Surprisingly enough, I have to turn OFF all compatibility settings to get it to run (which boggles my mind) but hey. All movies are working, menus are working, and I get that beautiful 3DFx logo every time I drop in a mission. First time this worked I almost cried

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There you go! This is what I did to get Uprising to run. YMMV, but I hope it helps someone out there!
nortyray

Post by nortyray »

DustySkunk,

I followed your steps, and got the game installed. I'm still dealing with the "h2net has stopped working" error. How do you resolve this?
Static7

Post by Static7 »

Well if anyone is still having trouble, I got both "Uprising Join or Die" & "Uprising 2 Lead and Destroy" working on Windows 7 64bit last night and this morning (10/3/2015 & 10/4/2015) without any issues on a fresh install. All credit goes to OmegaNexus.

I followed these instructions for BOTH games posted by OmegaNexus for Uprising 2. Both work and launch like a charm. No menu glitches on either. No Black Menu Screen for Uprising 1 and no Blended Menu for Uprising 2. The only 2 thing is the games will sometimes crashed to desktop after a Mission Ends and the Game Videos colors become distorted and smudge, not the gameplay itself.

Get the Latest version of nGlide http://www.zeus-software.com/downloads/nglide (currently 1.04 as of 10/4/2015) and the Glide Wrapper in this quoted section of instructions made by OmegaNexus. Do the SAME Settings for BOTH games. You can also use dxwnd.exe to launch either game once you add both, you dont have to close it and use the launcher.exe.
omeganexus wrote:After a long search to find a solution to the problem of Uprising 2 Lead And Destroy when using Windows 7 . I finally found a solution and want to share with everyone here .

In a previous Topic , Zeus suggested for us to use the Aqrit ddwrapper 's trying to solve the problem . Indeed Aqrit 's ddwrapper start the game normally , BUT when you finish a mission and enter the debriefing screen , an error occurs that closes the game due to Aqrit 's ddwrapper .

The solution was to use another Ddwrapper the DxWnd ( OG Edition ) available in old- games.ru website .

http://www.old-games.ru/utils/files/dxwnd_og.rar

After having done Download , extract the files to any folder . Open the file dxwnd.exe you will get a blank window with the menus File , Edit and Help . First enter the Edit menu , and click on Add

With this will Target Setup window appears . First Click the button ... for selecting the path where the file Uprising 2.exe game . Video options in the options mark "Hook Directdraw" , "Colour Convert" ( correct colors ) "Use GDI" ( best color ) .

In "Surface location" , choice System memory . In resolution, Auto . Mark "FullScreen" Option .

In FPS, check "Limit" to 60 FPS. And check the "Reduce CPU Load". Finally, check the option in Input "Don´t hide Mouse Pointer".Click OK, and ready. Just close the program. Now run the file lauch.exe every time you want to start the game.

Hope this helps.
johnyes

Post by johnyes »

i have followed this guide exactly but when i run SETUP.exe it just runs and never closes.
win 10
2011-v3 cpu
32 gb ram
8gb r9390
uprising join or die
if any of that info helps