Uprising: Join or Die (1997)

Report bugs, errors, problems, etc.
Gamecollector

Re: Uprising: Join or Die (1997)

Postby Gamecollector » Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:29 pm

The more radical solution - install WinXp 32-bit as the dualboot OS.
Plus this will resolve the 16bit compatibility issues. :)
Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400 (3-3-3-8),
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
2 Voodoo2 12 MB (SLI), Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).

Urizen

Postby Urizen » Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:23 pm

Squall Leonhart wrote:
Urizen wrote:
Zeus wrote:OMG, now I've got it. ;)

You're talking about game main menu.

Whoops, yes - sorry for not being clearer!

Unfortunately, Squall Leonhart seems to be correct - ddhack doesn't resolve the menu issues. Doh!

cncddraw might though, its a little more advanced then ddhack in some area's, and behind in others.

Yep, cnc-ddraw was the first alternative I tried after ddhack. No luck either, I'm afraid. Uprising crashes immediately with cnc-ddraw installed. :(

3dfxer

Postby 3dfxer » Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:32 am

Maybe the attached ACT fix might help. It installs various fixes for both Uprising 1 and Uprising 2 to the registry, most notably DirectDraw Emulation is forced.

As far as I can tell, the menus are displayed correctly on my system even without the patch, so unfortunately I don't know whether this does help at all. But since the same thing does work in various similar cases, I think there is a certain probability that it does.

If it doesn't, please report back here to avoid unneccessary confusion for others with the same problem.
Attachments
Uprisng1+2_ACT_fix.zip
(1.08 KiB) Downloaded 825 times

Urizen

Postby Urizen » Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:22 pm

3dfxer wrote:Maybe the attached ACT fix might help. It installs various fixes for both Uprising 1 and Uprising 2 to the registry, most notably DirectDraw Emulation is forced.

As far as I can tell, the menus are displayed correctly on my system even without the patch, so unfortunately I don't know whether this does help at all. But since the same thing does work in various similar cases, I think there is a certain probability that it does.

If it doesn't, please report back here to avoid unneccessary confusion for others with the same problem.

Thanks for the suggestion 3dfxer, I've installed the ACT fix, but unfortunately the menus are still not working properly.

:cry:

Squall Leonhart

Postby Squall Leonhart » Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:06 am

ddhack "may" have a fix soon.

TiMN8R

Postby TiMN8R » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:08 am

Hi all!

I've been having trouble with Uprising that may or may not be related to the nGlide wrapper, but just to be as clear as possible, I'll give a progression of everything I've done here for Zeus:

I found this nice little wrapper thanks to YouTube video comments.. a major stroke of luck. I installed the latest version (.98), ran the game, and instead of crashing, complaining about that missing glide .dll, Uprising ran, but with strange 4x4 pixel chunks of green and red heavily speckling the screen through the intro movies. The main menu problems were unsolved at this point, fully black, except for the gear in the lower right, so I came back here, saw v.97 was the first to add support for the game, so I tried that out. All strange coloring issues during intro movies went away, main menu wasn't working, so I came back again, and found 3DFXer's post on the ACT fix, tried it out, and the menus worked perfectly - but the strange coloring problem came back. I ignored that, went on to a game, played through one mission, saved a couple of times throughout, began playing the next, and it crashed a few minutes in. After reloading from the save point, it crashed again, after ~10 mins. of gameplay, and it began crashing more and more often, until now, regardless of version or configuration of nGlide, or configuration of Uprising installation, it crashes before a game will launch. No sound effects, just black/dark grey screens swapping back and forth (as many games will do when applying visual setting changes).

I can put up a video of the speckled/distorted intro movies, if you'd like. A video of the game attempting to launch a mission and fail wouldn't be that instructive... Another instance of this coloration problem was during the statistics screen after a completed/failed/quit mission. Of course, I can't show that one at this point. Sorry. :(

And finally, when in the in-game menus, saving or loading, the names of the saves (current planet you're on), are spread out hugely, so about half is cut off, and the rest is just the pixels that should have been there, with many blank spaces between them. Somewhat difficult to read.. when loading from the main menu system, the saves are displayed properly.

My specs are:
Windows 7 Home (64-bit)
Alienware M17x R1 laptop (w/ changes made to hardware):
Core 2 Quad 2.23GHz (Q9100),
8 GB 1600MHz RAM,
WildFire SSD primary (Uprising was installed on the SSD originally, but I decided to reinstall on the HDD secondary just a little bit ago, in case of excessive writes. It's an old game, therefore expecting high hard disk latency, so it would have written as little as possible, but just in case..)
2x NVidia GTX260M (1GB each) graphics cards, latest drivers
HD audio device which I've chosen to not install Dell drivers for - they made this system at least 10x as buggy. :/
Defaulted to Windows' "High Definition Audio Device" drivers, which have been working well for over a year.

That's all of the relevant components I can think of.

Thanks in advance for any help/suggesions! (And sorry this thing is so long! :roll: )
~TiMN8R

Gamecollector

Postby Gamecollector » Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:54 pm

TiMN8R wrote:Hi all!

I've been having trouble with Uprising that may or may not be related to the nGlide wrapper, but just to be as clear as possible, I'll give a progression of everything I've done here for Zeus:

It looks like the Windows7 or the videocard drivers issue.
The intro etc working perfectly with the WinXP+X850PE+nGlide 0.98 combo

Try to install Xp 32-bit as the secondary OS and test the game with it.

Squall Leonhart

Postby Squall Leonhart » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:51 pm

thats an idea GameCollector

i haven't tried uprising under virtualbox
but yeah

the miscolouration and main menu issues are all bugs in windows 7/vista DirectDraw/DirectMedia

TiMN8R

Postby TiMN8R » Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:56 am

I would really like to do that - XP has better 16-bit support than Win7, but there is no such thing as an audio driver for this kind of HD audio hardware in WinXP. Well, not that I've discovered anyway.. I've looked, with no success. (Any ideas?) I've even tried copying the system files that the driver in Win7 claims to use, and put them in their respective places in XP. Amazingly, it still booted, but with no effect whatsoever. :P (Yes, obviously, I'm not a pro. That was just my last-ditch effort. I didn't need the installation otherwise, so I figured it wouldn't hurt to try.) So yes, I do have WinXP (32-bit home ed.) installed as a dual-boot, but I'd never have a single peep from the system. Kinda defeats the purpose. VM-ware, though... I ought to give that a try.

Another little update: I installed uprising without 3DFX acceleration, and it's been working like a charm. All "metallic"-looking textures are hideous, but the rest is fine, and the game runs almost without crashing. I've gone through 12 levels in Uprising with only 2 crashes. In comparison, the previous installation crashed about 8 times in 2 levels, before it stopped loading. So I'm not entirely sure what's up here. With that new info, would you agree that it seems the blame belongs to the graphics hardware/driver, not necessarily Win7? If that's the case, would a VM interfacing between hardware and nGlide really help at all? Seems like that might just make it even more prone to failure..

~TiMN8R

Gamecollector

Postby Gamecollector » Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:46 am

Well, the best solution is - get the vendor_id/device_id fot the audio codec. Then search with this data.
AFAIK, this notebook uses Nvidia 9400M G as the chipset and IDT 92hd73c codec.
There are Xp drivers for both...

Return to “Problems”