Uprising: Join or Die (1997)

Report bugs, errors, problems, etc.
Urizen

Uprising: Join or Die (1997)

Postby Urizen » Mon May 16, 2011 10:52 pm

Hi there folks!

I realize this game is currently listed as not playable in the compatibility list, but I've had some minor success getting it working under version 0.96.

The most critical issue with Uprising, is that none of the menus display correctly. The mouse pointer and parts of the menus are shown, with the rest simply being a black screen, making navigating them very, very difficult.

However, for people who have played Uprising and are familiar with the menu layouts, it is possible to enter the game by memorizing the position of the options and using the pointer to "find" the options required to start a new game. Handily, a sound is made when you move your pointer over an option, which makes things a bit easier.

Interestingly enough, once you're in an actual game, Uprising performs quite beautifully with nGlide. It looks superb, and has excellent frame rates, even at 1680 x 1050, my monitor's native resolution. The only real issue I've come across while playing, is that the cockpit doesn't display, and there's a few minor display issues in the map screen.

Click this image for a larger version
In this screenshot, the game is running with 8xS AA, 16x AF.

So basically, the lack of functional menus is the only major problem - the game is quite playable otherwise!

Does anyone have any idea what could cause this issue? Has anyone encountered similar issues in nGlide or other glide wrappers before?

Thanks guys!

:)

Zeus
Site Admin

Re: Uprising: Join or Die (1997)

Postby Zeus » Mon May 16, 2011 11:28 pm

Support for Uprising games will be added in nGlide 0.97.

Squall Leonhart

Postby Squall Leonhart » Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:00 am

it was always my belief (as was explained to me by numerous other glide wrapper devs) that uprising 1 and 2 utilise hardware depth functions that are not reproducible in the wrapper itself.

Urizen

Postby Urizen » Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:34 am

Hi Zeus,

After installing nGlide 0.97, I'm still experiencing the same issue with the menus not displaying properly. The in-game issues seem to be resolved, but not being able to navigate the menus means the game is still largely unplayable.

Is this an isolated issue, or are others still having this problem after installing 0.97?

Thanks!

Zeus
Site Admin

Postby Zeus » Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:02 am

not being able to navigate the menus

What exactly is wrong? Be more descriptive. Also, please post some screenshots + PC specs + OS.

Urizen

Postby Urizen » Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:07 pm

Zeus wrote:
not being able to navigate the menus

What exactly is wrong? Be more descriptive. Also, please post some screenshots + PC specs + OS.

As I said in my original post;

Urizen wrote:
The most critical issue with Uprising, is that none of the menus display correctly. The mouse pointer and parts of the menus are shown, with the rest simply being a black screen, making navigating them very, very difficult.

I'm not sure how I can be any more descriptive, sorry. For some reason, I'm unable to capture screenshots of the menus - but I don't think screenshots wouldn't really illustrate the issue any better.

As I said earlier, only parts of the menus are displayed, with the rest being a black screen. Examples of parts that are visible are the gear image at the bottom right hand corner of the main menu, and a a few random lines of text from some of the sub-menus.

My System

Windows 7 Ultimate x86
DualCore Intel Pentium D 805, 2666 MHz (20 x 133)
Gigabyte GA-8TRC410M-NF Motherboard
3 GB DDR2-533 DDR2 SDRAM
Nvidia GeForce 7900 GT (512 MB)
Realtek ALC880(D) HD Audio

Thanks.

Zeus
Site Admin

Postby Zeus » Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:14 pm

OMG, now I've got it. ;)

You're talking about game main menu. I didn't even consider this part of the game because it's not rendered by glide wrapper (main menu doesn't use glide api) and for me main menu works fine.

Main menu is rendered in DirectDraw, so my suggestions are:
- use DirectDraw Hack (extract all files from ddhack10.zip into game root directory),
- try to enable 'Disable desktop composition' option for UP3DFX.EXE,
- try different version of GeForce drivers from Nvidia site,
- try to install latest DirectX from Microsoft site.

Squall Leonhart

Postby Squall Leonhart » Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:20 am

ddhack doesn't work with uprising 1/2, both which have menu drawing issues :(

Urizen

Postby Urizen » Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:49 pm

Zeus wrote:OMG, now I've got it. ;)

You're talking about game main menu.

Whoops, yes - sorry for not being clearer!

Unfortunately, Squall Leonhart seems to be correct - ddhack doesn't resolve the menu issues. Doh!

Squall Leonhart

Postby Squall Leonhart » Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:27 pm

Urizen wrote:
Zeus wrote:OMG, now I've got it. ;)

You're talking about game main menu.

Whoops, yes - sorry for not being clearer!

Unfortunately, Squall Leonhart seems to be correct - ddhack doesn't resolve the menu issues. Doh!

cncddraw might though, its a little more advanced then ddhack in some area's, and behind in others.

Return to “Problems”