nglide not working best for a number of games

Report bugs, errors, problems, etc.
agathosdaimon

nglide not working best for a number of games

Post by agathosdaimon » Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:13 pm

I have been reinstalling some old games of late and unfortunately it has been the case that a few times Nglide has been the poorer option and it has been DGvoodoo that is going the 3dfx/glide trick:
not sure if others have encountered these issues
-Novalogic's F-16 Multirole Fighter: screen goes black after ending mission and remains black
-JSF - frame rate is very low in nglide 3dfx - unplayable at 800x600 or above and choppy at 640x480
- Fighter Squadron: Screamin Demons over Europe - black screen also after mission end
-Xwing vs Tie Fighter - 3d hardware mode not recognised

Zeus
Site Admin

Re: nglide not working best for a number of games

Post by Zeus » Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:06 pm

agathosdaimon wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:13 pm
-Novalogic's F-16 Multirole Fighter: screen goes black after ending mission and remains black
-Fighter Squadron: Screamin Demons over Europe - black screen also after mission end
Damn it! It is the same bug 4th time in a row! I'm uploading a new 2.10 installer with this splash screen fix. :evil:
Please grab it and update asap.

Thank You for reporting.
agathosdaimon wrote:
-JSF - frame rate is very low in nglide 3dfx - unplayable at 800x600 or above and choppy at 640x480
What are your PC specs? Have you tried Vulkan?
agathosdaimon wrote:
-Xwing vs Tie Fighter - 3d hardware mode not recognised
This title doesn't utilize Glide API.

agathosdaimon

Post by agathosdaimon » Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:59 am

thanks for your replies - i havent tried Vulkan - i am not clear still on what it is, - i generally dont play around with the nglide settings as i have only ever had things go badly whenever i have tried and then gotten things messed up with some games.

agathosdaimon

Post by agathosdaimon » Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:10 am

okay F16 MRF is fixed now - no black screen after mission end woo!

havent tested JSF yet, will try that regarding the vulkan option

regarding Fighter Squadron - the direct 3d option through dgvoodoo is kind of giving me better sharper results overall, - direct3d was i guess always a bit better than 3dfx so will stick with it

Zeus
Site Admin

Post by Zeus » Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:43 am

agathosdaimon wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:59 am
i havent tried Vulkan - i am not clear still on what it is
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vulkan_(API):

Vulkan is a low-overhead, cross-platform 3D graphics and computing API. Vulkan targets high-performance realtime 3D graphics applications such as video games and interactive media across all platforms. Compared to OpenGL and Direct3D 11, and like Direct3D 12 and Metal, Vulkan is intended to offer higher performance and more balanced CPU/GPU usage. Other major differences from Direct3D 11 (and prior) and OpenGL are Vulkan being a considerably lower level API and offering parallel tasking. Vulkan also has the ability to render 2D graphics applications. In addition to its lower CPU usage, Vulkan is also able to better distribute work among multiple CPU cores.

agathosdaimon wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:10 am
direct3d was i guess always a bit better than 3dfx so will stick with it
It really depends on the title. There are vast number of games that look better with Glide than D3D and vice-versa.