NFS Porsche 2000 low quality texture/models

Report bugs, errors, problems, etc.
vlad01

NFS Porsche 2000 low quality texture/models

Post by vlad01 »

Hi all,

Been using nglide successfully to run this game plus other on my modern system.

However I am having issues on my retro gaming PC with low quality textures and car models in game mode, garage and menu it's perfect.

The game install is the exact same one from my main PC which is win 7, GTX 980 and FX 8320.

My retro PC is a dual Operton 290, soft modded Quadro FX 4000 to GF 6800 Ultra, AGP and runs win server 2003 x64. GPU drivers are latest from 2013.

I have tried all the patches out there including the fast CPU patch, currently run the patch on this site and the glide HD widescreen patch.

I read also about the need to set vertex for the headlights but mine all run vertex anyway so that isn't the issue.

I had this same issues with low quality on my modern PC but I read under another site compatibility mode under vista SP1 corrects the issue which it did, problem is win 2k3 does not have vista compatibility mode obviously.

Another issue is, when I had his low quality "random car" under opponent selection is missing, vista sp1 compatibility mode not only fixes the low quality but returns the random car selection from the menu. So I also see this same missing option on my retro PC.

I have installed MS compatibility tool and tried many options with no change.

Does anyone know what options vista SP1 compatibility actually uses internally so I can make my own equvilant patch under 2k3 or if there is another work around?

From what I can see this looks to be the fast CPU bug in action since quality is full in the menu/garage. None of the patches that supposedly fixing this have ever worked, even back in the XP days.

Thanks in advance.
Zeus
Site Admin

Re: NFS Porsche 2000 low quality texture/models

Post by Zeus »

Hi vlad01,
vlad01 wrote: I have tried all the patches out there including the fast CPU patch, currently run the patch on this site and the glide HD widescreen patch.
wait, so you're saying extracting this patch ALONE into game directory and clicking nfs5.reg doesn't make any difference for you in cockpit quality? Do you see car gloss in the garage?

What is Glide HD widescreen patch? There is a widescreen patch, but not for Glide mode and NFS5.
vlad01

Post by vlad01 »

Yes your patch does nothing on my retro PC. Yes I have gloss and full detail in the garage which is much like the known CPU speed bug.

I have tried it alone. Only thing it seems to do it prevent the game crashing on startup with some error messages but does nothing for quality. The widescreen patch can be toggled on and off via it's own reg files.

I had since last posting tested my CPUs locked to one core and down clocked to 1.7Ghz and it still did not change anything, if anything the system was unstable running that slow and hard locked all the time.

The widescreen patch is this one which has a glide option also but I am pretty sure the glide just defaults via your patch anyway because it still runs glide if I disable it but the ratio returns to 4:3.

http://www.iplounge.net/ipl2/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2305

I have had it for years on my modern system with great success.

For my modern system I needed to run vista SP1 compatibility mode to get the full quality as it also had low quality. So there is something this mode offers that my old system can't do or doesn't have.

The "random car" option is linked to the quality, it is not available if the quality is low if that gives any clue to what is going wrong?
Zeus
Site Admin

Post by Zeus »

vlad01 wrote:Only thing it seems to do it prevent the game crashing on startup with some error messages but does nothing for quality
vlad01 wrote:The "random car" option is linked to the quality, it is not available if the quality is low
ok, so that's new to me. Perhaps AMD CPUs execute different code path in the game.

It definitely needs to be investigated.
vlad01

Post by vlad01 »

It could be. Back in the day when I switched to win 2k and also tried xp, the official 2k/XP patch did not work at all on any of my system all being AMD ones. However it did work with the patch on a Celeron system when I tried it, even if it was unplayable due to the Celeron's poor performance.

I wasn't able to play NFS5 until vista came out which was the first OS that worked with NFS 5 since 98 at least on AMD systems it seemed. Funny thing is on vista I required no patch or anything, just worked out of the box as a stock game. I do recall the random car option was also missing in that case as well but that was over 10 years ago now so it's hard to recall the details.